I’m a dad and I need a DJ complete

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
I’m a dad and I need a DJ complete
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 15:53 Quote
Hey guys. I race Enduro and my kids and I ride park on big bikes. They have gotten into riding street/park and DJs. If you had $1k what would you buy?

Going to use it at the skatepark mostly.

Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 21:36 Quote
Look at the ns bike lineup, the metropolis or movement 2 are solid. Commencal absolut is one of my favorites out right now which is around 1150.

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 10:21 Quote
Thanks man! I’ll check them out for sure. Anything I should avoid?

Posted: Apr 7, 2019 at 12:15 Quote
I'm a dad and just bought a new dirt jumper for the same purpose. If you step up in to the $1500 range then you can get something like the YT Dirt Love or Transition PBJ. Over the years I've had two Specialized P3 bikes and two Santa Cruz Jackals. For this bike I chose the YT Dirt Love because I liked the specs for the price and wanted to try a steel frame to take the edge off. I just had my first ride on it today with my boys....so far so good.

Posted: Apr 7, 2019 at 12:56 Quote
What about the Canyon Stitched? At £749.00 / €849, it seems like the best option below 1K€.

Posted: Apr 7, 2019 at 14:36 Quote
Thanks boys! I’m with ya. I’m probably bumping the price up. I’m currently riding a carbon trail bike and a Carbon Enduro race bike with Enve’s and all. So I was trying to be “reasonsable” with the DJ bike. But it looks like my nice bike disease is getting the best of me. Lol.

Right now it’s between an NS movement 2, Commencal and the YT.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 12:12 Quote
Thedude928 wrote:
Thanks boys! I’m with ya. I’m probably bumping the price up. I’m currently riding a carbon trail bike and a Carbon Enduro race bike with Enve’s and all. So I was trying to be “reasonsable” with the DJ bike. But it looks like my nice bike disease is getting the best of me. Lol.

Right now it’s between an NS movement 2, Commencal and the YT.

Hey man, seems like the best riders I know ride the most rundown DJ's I know. Its like BMXing. They all said to just go cheap on the DJ. As a Dad who is new to this and trying to keep up, I just needed the cheapest bike possible as I'm not going huge and the bikes are super simple. Plus my kids bikes etc are becoming a fortune now too (custom wheels, FS, weight weenie stuff). Neverthless, I got a Calibre Astronut. Its been fantastic for me. I got it on a black friday deal for like 600$ shipped to USA in 5 days. I did throw some Diety Highside bars (I'm 6-4) too. I've been renting PBJ's for a while off and on, but for some reason this bike fits me a lot better and it def helped my riding. Maybe I got lucky, always nice to demo but its a rare option.

The fork isn't great but it at least has a damper in it. It does have a halflink chain, tensioner, hydro brakes ,adjustable chainstays with adjustable brake mounts and really really nice TableTop tires. For the price its hard to beat.

Another nice, more "Street" geo bike is the Airborn Crohawk for 700$. Mech disk brakes but who cares. It does come with 3" riser bars iirc which is a plus to not have to upgrade. its 4130 steel too which some people like. These bikes are pretty similar or better than a 1000$ Specialized when I checked specs.

Good luck keeping up!

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 7:51 Quote
My dad just got a specialized p3, which I think is around that price range. It seems plenty solid, and comes with a front brake which he liked!

Edit: Just looked at the specs for that crohawk that was meantioned above, and it looks pretty sick!

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
Also as a Dad, I got a great deal on a Haro SR 1.0 a few years back and put a new fork on it and it suited me well. That is until I bought a P.Slope and haven't looked back. At 42, having the confidence with full suspension, serves these knees and back best.

If you're patient you can find a full suspension DJ in your price range.

Posted: Apr 11, 2019 at 12:28 Quote
I'm a dad too and don't have nearly enough time to ride as I used to. DJs are crazy cheap used these days. I would go into the buySell and shop away. No need to buy new.

Posted: Apr 11, 2019 at 13:01 Quote
robito wrote:
I'm a dad too and don't have nearly enough time to ride as I used to. DJs are crazy cheap used these days. I would go into the buySell and shop away. No need to buy new.
Agreed! Where you located OP? My local CL has several nice DJ's for absolute peanuts... a song really. Spank, Spesh P series, Norco, Kona, you name it, all well under 1k.

Posted: Apr 11, 2019 at 14:05 Quote
Thanks for all the info guys! I like that CroHawk !

I’m in Lake Havasu Arizona. But I’ll be driving to San Diego in 2 weeks.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 21:21 Quote
Thedude928 wrote:
Thanks for all the info guys! I like that CroHawk !

I’m in Lake Havasu Arizona. But I’ll be driving to San Diego in 2 weeks.

SD just put in a KILLER cement pump track somewhere.
I'm in Michigan but have a there and just saw it through him..

Thought I'd mention it

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 13:41 Quote
robito wrote:
I would agree with this. I'm a fellow dad and just decided to get back into DJ riding. Got an upgraded 2014 Specialized P.26 AM for $450 last week. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything newer.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 19:03 Quote
Go used and replace stuff as needed (including the frame if you see something you like better). I just picked up an old Giant STP for $150, but SUPER bummed out that I just missed out on an old Black Market Riot complete that someone was selling for $50 (no, it wasn't stolen. A parent who lived in the middle of nowhere and didn't realize what they were selling). It was haggard, but nothing a new paint job and a tune up wouldn't have fixed.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012409
Mobile Version of Website