Converting a 26 to a 27.5

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Converting a 26 to a 27.5
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 7, 2019 at 8:17 Quote
Has anyone converted a bike from 26 to a 27.5.
The front fork is a no brainer (update fork)
What can be done with the rear? I don't have the clearance. Is there a bracket that can mount to the bike to move the axel back the half inch needed?

Posted: Apr 7, 2019 at 9:59 Quote
Sell this bike and buy another one.

Posted: Apr 7, 2019 at 10:50 Quote
Yes....i wish, the bike is a vintage cannondale rush, 2006-2008 series, not worth much, I'm trying to do an occasional endure race and thought that would be a good set-up

Posted: Apr 7, 2019 at 11:55 Quote
Do your race with the bike as it is and save for your next ride Wink

Posted: Apr 7, 2019 at 12:11 Quote
I don't ride it much, never done an ebduro with it either, I have it to my son to get him into mountain biking. Have bought him a new bike and that one just sits there, my plan for the bike is to cut some weight on it as well, new handle bars, stem, seat post. New brakes, ect.
I understand for the money I'm spending could probably buy a decent enduro style bike. I'm looking for giveaways for the upgrades as much as possible, or really cheap (people looking to get rid of extra parts).
It's a really sturdy aluminum frame with a good amount of travel. Thought it could be fun, and I really like 27.5 wheels. How stupid would a front 27.5 wheels be with a rear 26"
I thought that was a thing back in the day, bigger front wheel and a smaller rear, for handling??

Posted: Apr 7, 2019 at 12:40 Quote
All my motorcycles have 21 front and 18 rear wheels. My newest MTB is 27.5 and a blast to ride, but my old bike from 1999 is 26 and still sees regular use (I prefer to ride it on roads over my 1X 27.5 because it is 3x9 and fast). If my front fork ever fails, I plan to replace it with a 29 fork and wheel making the bike a 69er.

If you plan to race, I think 29s are faster. Might want to consider buying a slightly used bike if you see a good deal because you are going to abuse it racing. Get something that already has a few scratches.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 2:37 Quote
I run a 27.5 front wheel, 26 rear on my vintage Manitou FS with a Manitou X-Vert Super front fork. There is enough clearance that I didnt have to change forks. I think the benefit of the bigger wheel is more important on the front, for rollover purposes than the rear. I like the combination on that bike. My newer bike is a 29

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 3:01 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
All my motorcycles have 21 front and 18 rear wheels.

True, but this doesn't apply to mountain bikes designed for equal wheel sizes. The geometry will change. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to the rider.

Your motorcycles have a much larger rear tire than front, making the outside diameters comparable. Since mountain bikes generally don't have room for a super large rear tire, the only way to create an equal outside diameter with a larger front rim would be to mount a cyclocross width tire on it. If a bike was designed for unequal wheel sizes, that's a different story - and it's something I'd like to try, eventually.

As has been mentioned, the larger wheel will roll a bit more smoothly. It's a very subtle difference' you might not even notice the roll-over effects. It will also raise the front end, tilting the whole bike rearward; this is the change you'll notice. Unfortunately, 26" bikes typically have geometry with a short reach and slack seat tube angle, which will be made worse with the geometry change.

If I was tasked with making the front wheel feel more confident on an old 26" bike, I would mount a wide rim and 2.8" tire (or whatever width you can cram into the existing fork).

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009500
Mobile Version of Website