Looking for more modern geo on a budget

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Looking for more modern geo on a budget
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 13:41 Quote
I currently ride a 2010 Giant Reign X1 that I bought used a few years ago, with 26" wheels and a lazy-feeling Fox Talas 36. It gets the job done, but lately I find myself looking for things to upgrade, and struggling to keep it feeling good, despite just putting in new pivot bearings and getting the fork serviced. Particularly on chunky terrain with repeated hard impacts, the bike just gets all out of sorts. I dont want to keep dumping money into such an old bike, so I periodically browse used classified to see if I can find something a bit more modern.

I found what seems like a great deal on a 2015 Reign, and began looking more into it. Looks like it's geometry (for a medium frame), was actually ahead of its time, and is not super far off from something like a 2019 Bronson. Wheel base, reach, chainstay length, and HA are all similar. Seat tube angle on the Reign isn't so modern, but i can deal with that. Either way, HA is a solid 2deg slacker than my current bike, and the rest of the numbers seem good.

I just wanted some more experienced people to weigh in on the 2015 Reign. I've never had a proper go on a "modern geometry" bike, and wondering if it would be a worthy upgrade for about $1600. Also let me know if there are other "modern" used $1500ish bikes that I'm overlooking.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 8:09 Quote
Maybe I was too wordy...

Nobody has any experience on 2015 Giant Reign, good or bad?

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 8:49 Quote
joelunchbucket wrote:
Maybe I was too wordy...

Nobody has any experience on 2015 Giant Reign, good or bad?

Are you biased towards giant?

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 9:38 Quote
No not really, I just happen to find good deals on them, I suppose. They do seem like good value.

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 10:20 Quote
Maybe a Banshee Rune V2?

Would go with the Banshee- you find good deals, well balanced geo (not super short chainstays so perfectly centered in the bike) and good suspension layout and after sale support.

For 1500 USD there arent that many bikes- as most modern bikes have carbon and are expensive... maybe a Capra AL also?

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 11:13 Quote
Unfortunately, I can't afford something new. Seems like anything worth its salt is $2500ish, which unfortunately is too much to swallow. I have wondered about Banshee bikes, since Jenson seems to have good sales on them. But I can't seem to find many current reviews.

FL
Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 11:25 Quote
you might be able to get a good deal on an alloy version of either a YT Jeffsy or a Capra

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 11:52 Quote
OG transition patrol

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 12:11 Quote
It sounds like your primary issue is actually with the performance of the fork, rather than the geo of the bike.

Its important to consider, that while there are slight differences in the geo of these bikes, if you are looking at budget bikes you are going to get a similar quality suspension product.

Is 2 degrees of HA and 50mm of wheel base going to improve the ride significantly? Comparative to a better suspension product ?

Worth considering if the budget is tight.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 13:36 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
It sounds like your primary issue is actually with the performance of the fork, rather than the geo of the bike.

Its important to consider, that while there are slight differences in the geo of these bikes, if you are looking at budget bikes you are going to get a similar quality suspension product.

Is 2 degrees of HA and 50mm of wheel base going to improve the ride significantly? Comparative to a better suspension product ?

I wonder this too. I looked for used 26" 160mm forks, and they were surprisingly pricey, like $300+ often. and also been thinking of doing a full rebuild on my rear shock, which will be a chunk of change as well. So that's several hundred dollars right there. That's starting to approach the overall cost to get a used bike and sell my old one.

Hence my conundrum.

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 14:31 Quote
joelunchbucket wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:

I wonder this too. I looked for used 26" 160mm forks, and they were surprisingly pricey, like $300+ often. and also been thinking of doing a full rebuild on my rear shock, which will be a chunk of change as well. So that's several hundred dollars right there. That's starting to approach the overall cost to get a used bike and sell my old one.

Hence my conundrum.

to further complicate your conundrum, consider...

You may be rebuilding your new to you, used bikes suspension anyway, either due to age or for a custom tune. So when looking at a used bike you already own, over a used bike you are looking to buy, you need to think that your maintenance costs are going to be about the same for both bikes either way.

So, 300$ for a fork, and some off set bushings is gonna improve your ride, and keep your budget controlled. It should also keep that extra 1300 bucks in your pocket to put towards something else in the future.

But hey, I get it .... newer stuff is also great, and sometimes just the psychology behind a newer ride can re-energize your riding... its always a fine balance between, needs, wants and budget.

FL
Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 15:00 Quote
gear heavy sports like mountain biking are always expensive. I don’t know the last time I paid good money for something and was disappointed. You sort of get what you pay for. Good luck finding the sweet spot!

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 15:08 Quote
convert the TALAS to a Float or VAN,

having a fork that works well and does not pack down will improve dynamic ride geometry

( static numbers are only part of the equation)

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 15:16 Quote
iffy wrote:
convert the TALAS to a Float or VAN,

having a fork that works well and does not pack down will improve dynamic ride geometry

( static numbers are only part of the equation)

I've considered this, but I don't know where to begin finding the correct parts. The TALAS is from 2010 (36 RC2), and I don't know if Fox makes any Float parts that would fit my fork. If somebody could help with this, that would amazing.

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 15:33 Quote
I'd look for a secondhand bargain one with damaged lowers or stanchions and strip out the parts.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012585
Mobile Version of Website