Can I use a "woman's" frame for my setup?

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Can I use a "woman's" frame for my setup?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
So, I have 3 complete bikes (1 Marin commuter, 1 Specialized MTB and 1 Specialized dirt jumper) and 1 frame (Fuji 27.5" MTB). All used and got for great prices. These were my "introduction" back into bicycling after years off riding motorcycles (which made me fat from not exercising). I'm working on the Fuji frame as a more hardtail MTB to use this summer to replace the older Specialized one I have now (it's a 26", so my teenager can use it to get started with me). The Marin is a good bike, but it's really more road than gravel, plus it's v-brakes and I'd like to get disc if possible.

I want to build a gravel/road bike (to replace my Marin commuter). Mostly used on roads to commute to work, but I would like to use it on the weekends on gravel and dirt paths that I have all around me (think Sierra Mountains in California). I was looking on eBay for something, because sorry, I don't have $2K or $3K in the bank like others to buy superbikes. I found a Fuji frame that would fit my needs perfectly, but it's a Fuji Brevet, which is for women. I know the geometry is a bit different, but does that matter?

So are there men out there that are riding on "women's" bikes? Is it much different? Do you care? I know women must be out there riding on "men's" bikes. Any help, I want to buy this frame, but want to know if I should or shouldn't first. Thanks! I can't wait to learn more and more from this forum.

Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
Go for it, usually the only difference is contact points and paint. Just put a men's seat on it and maybe a wider bar and ````````your good.

Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 11:13 Quote
Gender divisions among cycling components are based on marketing and color ways.

Even in the very few rare cases, were there is a measurable difference, If the sizing / tune is correct for you there isn't an issue.

Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 11:28 Quote
Thanks. I figured as much. There is a big pink Fuji sticker on the main tube, but since the frame and fork are used I was thinking of re-spraying it anyway. So the sticker would likely come off. I'm not a fan of the braze on front derailleur mount (I like 1x) but small quibble for a good deal to build a new bike.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 14:25 Quote
Woah. Its not necessarily true that a woman's bike is the same as a man's aside from the colour and saddle. Some women's bikes are designed with WSG (woman's specific geometry). This is based on studies that found that on average women have different proportions than men. So 1. find out if the frame you have used WSG in the design and 2. figure out if the WSG works for your particular measurements.

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 14:56 Quote
dirttorpedo wrote:
Woah. Its not necessarily true that a woman's bike is the same as a man's aside from the colour and saddle. Some women's bikes are designed with WSG (woman's specific geometry). This is based on studies that found that on average women have different proportions than men. So 1. find out if the frame you have used WSG in the design and 2. figure out if the WSG works for your particular measurements.

What he said

There are some brands like Giant/ Liv that vary greatly between mens and womens, and in Giant/ Liv's case, from frame geometry, even down to the carbon construction based off muscle groups women use more to make them more efficient.
There are also others like Santa Cruz/ Juliana that don't have many differences except for colour and women-specific saddles and bars. I'd check out the geometry from that year and see if there are any major differences between mens and womens

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 15:25 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
dirttorpedo wrote:

What he said

There are some brands like Giant/ Liv that vary greatly between mens and womens, and in Giant/ Liv's case, from frame geometry, even down to the carbon construction based off muscle groups women use more to make them more efficient.
There are also others like Santa Cruz/ Juliana that don't have many differences except for colour and women-specific saddles and bars. I'd check out the geometry from that year and see if there are any major differences between mens and womens

You give manufacturers far too much credit.

In the rare case of a tubeset / layup being different for a women's bike, it's nowhere near as fancy as "construction based off muscle groups women use more to make them more efficient".

All bikes have to pass ISO (or equivalent) test protocol to be sold in certain markets. Most bikes are built to a rather generic margin of safety, such as 125% of ISO loads (more often referred to as "ISO plus 25", as applicable). A women's bike will still have to pass the test, so the manufacturer will probably aim for ISO plus zero (factoring in the variability of the manufacturing process). Simple as that.

And then there's the issue of the well-established inaccuracy of the ISO tests, but that's a matter for another thread.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009988
Mobile Version of Website