Hardtail under 500 gpb

PB Forum :: Beginners
Hardtail under 500 gpb
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 8:42 Quote
So, I'm 14 and I'm looking into getting into mountain biking. I've tried some rentals at my local park and it seems very fun. Most of my friends have mountain bikes and ride often. I live in the UK so everything's in British pounds. I have a couple options that I'm interested in, calibre rake, trek marlin 6 and trek marlin 7. Any good?

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 20:14 Quote
Both the Rake and Marlin are rated well, have decent XC components and geometry for sub 500 bikes, can’t go wrong with either. Another sub 500 option available is the Vitus Nucleus VR which is more of a Trail bike with slacker fork angle, longer Air fork, lighter 2x front crankset, and tubeless ready wheels.
Here is a great article with discussion and more options available to you with full reviews such as the Voodoo Hoodoo, Calibre Two Cubed. https://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/best-mountain-bikes-under-500-29451/

Posted: Apr 13, 2019 at 14:44 Quote
If I were to upgrade the suspension for the calibre rake what options would I have?

Posted: Apr 13, 2019 at 17:20 Quote
CRC has some great sales right now... the Manitou Markhor and Mattoc Comp are the best deals I've seen, but it's 27.5 iirc

Posted: Apr 13, 2019 at 18:09 Quote
Upgrade options at this price point are few since most of the frames, including the Rake, have basic 1 1/8” head tubes. A frame with a tapered head tube opens up the new fork possibilities...the Vitus is one...

Posted: Apr 14, 2019 at 2:25 Quote
So any fork with a 1 1/8" tube would fit a bike like the calibre rake.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 4:23 Quote
Another vote for the Vitus - I have the 2014 model and have done well over 3,000 miles on it, including red trails etc.

The only thing I don't like about mine is that I can't fit a dropper post - that has been sorted on the new ones.

I need to buy a hardtail for my wife this year and the womens version of the Vitus Nucleus is looking most likely, as the spec is better than a lot of more expensive bikes.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 16:38 Quote
I’ve recently learned a straight head tube need not limit fork options...an EC44/40 lower headset converts 44mm head-tube for use with tapered 1.5" 40mm crown race forks.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 18:34 Quote
If you, the OP hasn't bought a bike yet, I'll toss in another vote for the Vitus. I have 2017 VR Sentiner 29, easily upgraded and rides very nicely..Check my profile if you'd like to see some pic's.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.034477
Mobile Version of Website