Anyone tried a 27.5 rear wheel on a 29er hardtail?

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Anyone tried a 27.5 rear wheel on a 29er hardtail?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 22:10 Quote
I have a Honzo that I don't love as much as my 27.5 lynskey or 27.5 Evil. The bike just doesn't turn corners the same as the others. I'm going to try increasing the fork travel. I was also thinking about running a 27.5 rear wheel. Anyone tried this? Impressions?

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
reedholden wrote:
I have a Honzo that I don't love as much as my 27.5 lynskey or 27.5 Evil. The bike just doesn't turn corners the same as the others. I'm going to try increasing the fork travel. I was also thinking about running a 27.5 rear wheel. Anyone tried this? Impressions?

The other way around, but I've been running a 29x2.6 on the front of my Big Honzo and really like that set up!

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
The honzo has a very conservative 78 deg HTA. I switched the rear wheel out a few weeks ago and won't be going back. There is no huge detriment to pedalling or pedal strikes and the bike is way more fun to ride.

I think the bike feels a bit slower on flats but I'm in no race and have way more fun on everything else. Highly recommend this mod (the mullet bike I believe it is called)

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 11:13 Quote
reedholden wrote:
The honzo has a very conservative 78 deg HTA. I switched the rear wheel out a few weeks ago and won't be going back. There is no huge detriment to pedalling or pedal strikes and the bike is way more fun to ride.

I think the bike feels a bit slower on flats but I'm in no race and have way more fun on everything else. Highly recommend this mod (the mullet bike I believe it is called)

The slacker head angle was for sure a benefit! I also swapped to a 140 air shaft the week after the wheel swap and loved the change!

Posted: May 11, 2019 at 21:53 Quote
stiingya wrote:
reedholden wrote:

The slacker head angle was for sure a benefit! I also swapped to a 140 air shaft the week after the wheel swap and loved the change!

I'm a bit worried about the headtube getting torn off if I run the fork at 140 with the smaller back wheel. Then again, there is a nice gusset in there.....maybe it would hold? What do you guys think?

I know it's a frankenbike and ugly but it is fun to ride and the parts aren't bad, just ill matched.
Frankenbike Honzo B9er

Posted: May 11, 2019 at 23:20 Quote
I don't think the Kona is ugly at all, in fact I think it looks pretty good, even with that huge seat post brace..

Posted: May 11, 2019 at 23:24 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
I don't think the Kona is ugly at all, in fact I think it looks pretty good, even with that huge seat post brace..

I'm OK with the frame. It's the build that sucks - mixmash of all my spare parts; hence frankenbike.

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 14:33 Quote
O/P Why can't you run a 29er on the front?

reedholden wrote:

I have never seen a bike with a 78° HTA.

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 14:34 Quote
Heist30 wrote:
Good info on the b9er thread...

You and your forum searches! What kind of person are you?

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 16:30 Quote
m1dg3t wrote:
O/P Why can't you run a 29er on the front?

reedholden wrote:

I have never seen a bike with a 78° HTA.

68. Whatever it is, it is too steep.

It is 29 up front.

Posted: May 29, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
Mostly a parts transfer from the Big Honzo I posted before; but last time I was using a big wheel on the front, but now I'm officially using a little wheel on the back of a 29er hardtail! Smile

Obviously, got a bit leavier. But I only notice when it goes on the rack, not during a ride. But the feel of steel is worth every bit of the extra weight!! (also the adjustable stays on this bike are very cool!)

Posted: May 31, 2019 at 20:49 Quote
So how do you like the mullet bike ride?

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 18:36 Quote
reedholden wrote:
So how do you like the mullet bike ride?

Sorry, missed your question. I LOVE it for this bike! I also had no reason to ever switch back on the previous build with the Alu frame. I think Hardtails are great for experimenting with the Mullet thing since you don't have the rear suspension sag/kinematics to deal with. My intention is to try the steel frame with the smaller Plus wheels front and back and to buy the rear 29er wheel and ride it that way "too". And I "probably" will, but I"m in NO hurry...

Anyway, sorry I ramble. The 2.8x27.5 rear with the 2.6x29 front is a great balance for a hardtail. You get the rollover, you get the slacker geo, I do have the seat slammed forward to compensate for my fit on this set up. (also 20mm more travel fork) At least for me the 2.6 on the front doesn't give my that "bouncy" feeling. Which although I don't think was ever really BAD, it is kind of odd. On the back the bouncy feeling doesn't happen for me. So the big rear tire is nice.

I do have a 27.5x2.6 tire in the box that I will mount up on the back one of these days too.

Also, I did buy and then sell some narrow "cheap" 29er wheels the fall of 17 when I got the Alu BigHonzo and rode with 29x2.35's. I sold those those wheels on craiglist within 3 weeks. They were quick, but traction in the corners was no where near as good to me. And although at first they seemed to make climbing much easier/faster. Back to the traction thing I felt like there were more times I'd miss a section on the big skinny tires that I would clear on the small plus ones. Also the plus rear wheel on a hardtail is more comfortable... and the descending was way more FUN for me with the 2.6/2.8's?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.016334
Mobile Version of Website