Best/Favorite Chamois?

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 14, 2019 at 4:36 Quote
I have a pair of Specialized that are at least 5 years old now and the padding isn't near what it used to be. I wear them during the shoulder seasons and winter because they are a bit too warm for the summer. I also have 2 pair of Endura that cam with the Humvee shorts I have, they breathe a bit better, but the padding is a bit thin, so I'm looking for the best of both worlds. TIA

Posted: Apr 14, 2019 at 12:25 Quote
I've had my Pearl Izumi for something like 8 years. Not as comfy as when they were new but still better than my new fox.

Posted: Apr 14, 2019 at 15:00 Quote
Go buy bib shorts like roadies wear and throw your baggies over them. The bibs are WAY comfier and better quality than what is typically sold with baggies.

Posted: Apr 14, 2019 at 16:39 Quote
Will1848 wrote:
Go buy bib shorts like roadies wear and throw your baggies over them. The bibs are WAY comfier and better quality than what is typically sold with baggies.

I second this.
Rapha bibs have one of the lightest material for the uppers and great fit/chamois.
Castelli and PI are always good options. If you get one that retails in the 140 and up range, they will last for years and be super comfy. If you spend 120 or less, I guarantee you will not be as happy. I usually wait for sales cause who has 200 bucks for tights?

Posted: Apr 14, 2019 at 20:06 Quote
Will1848 wrote:

third this.

I like the specalized enduro pro swat bibs, but my favorite are the Blackbibs

www.theblackbibs.com seriously some of the best kit out there. Have had three for a year. Washed twice a week, even dried in the dryer. Holding up well. Stupid comfy as well.

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 5:16 Quote
Yes, this is my favorite as well. Super thin, airy, dry fast and comfortable for all day rides. Plus wears baggies over keeps them safe on crashes. since they cost a fortune. Castelli skin suit are my favorite being 6"3", weighing 200lb and being all torso the Large fit perfect. Steep and Cheap etc. has the $250 for $140-175 range often. You pay for what you get in bibs. Longevity, comfort and materials.

Will1848 wrote:

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 17:32 Quote
Just get some Assos with the Kuku Penthouse and ride for hours and hours in total comfort. But be ready to pay. They're worth it. Your boys and taint will thank you.

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 20:43 Quote
Hope it's okay to take this in a different direction ...

To get a couple of really nice shorts you really like, you'll probably have to buy a couple you don't end up liking along the way. You'll probably be out $600 at this point - even if you buy 'em on sale at half price, you'll be lucky if it's less than $400.

Instead, focus on saddles. I've bought a couple dozen saddles to find some great ones. I usually buy them used or from the take-off bin at local shops, and get cheapest version in a model family (i.e. the same shape as a posh model, but with cheap steel rails). If I don't like it, I can sell it for what I paid.

When you find a great saddle, the quality of your shorts barely matters. Any shorts with a slippery, stretchy pad will do perfectly fine, because the shorts will only have to manage friction, not compensating for a poor match between the saddle and your body.

Bonus tip: chamois lube. Doesn't have to be an actual "chamois lube", though. If you look at the ingredients, they're just hand lotion with extra silicone and maybe a mild disinfectant, such as eucalyptus oil. My favourite: waterproof (silicone) "personal" (i.e. sexytime) lube. Yep. If you want to spend extra for the good stuff - and raise an eyebrow at the checkout - get this. Cut out all the hand lotion ingredients and just use the useful ingredient.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 21:24 Quote
+1 for getting good bibs and running baggies over it. All day comfort and you don’t have another seam digging into your waste. I really like the top of the line pactimo bibs. Been wearing them since I first started road racing.

If you are going to use chamois cream get a proper product made just for that. I have friend who tried cheaper alternatives and ended up always having saddle sores. I really like button hole euro style.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020292
Mobile Version of Website