The Firebird 29er thread

PB Forum :: Pivot Cycles
The Firebird 29er thread
Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 15:43 Quote
Hi guys! On the way to buy my first Pivot
Was looking for a new enduro machine to substitute my 2016 Mondraker Dune.
Read a lot of reviews from several brands, like yeti, santa cruz, transition...but that glacial green firebird got me!!!!! Just love it!
As i never own a pivot can you guys help me with the sizing...i'm 168cm (5.5 feet), and the Pivot site puts me on the Small frame.
Are those advices accurate? Whats your heights and frame sizes?
Thanks in advance.
Sorry about the bad english. Not native

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 8:12 Quote
Small sounds about right for you based on height. The small comes with a 50# lighter spring though I believe. I am 5'9" on a Medium and it can fell big at times.

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 8:50 Quote
175 (5' 9") on a M - spot on for me, awesome bike Big Grin

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
yungj wrote:
Small sounds about right for you based on height. The small comes with a 50# lighter spring though I believe. I am 5'9" on a Medium and it can fell big at times.

Thanks.
That´s what some friends of mine are telling me. At my island there are any Pivot, so i cannot try one. So i'm asking for advices with some friends that own it, and they are saying the same as you.

Thanks for the input!

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 12:05 Quote
billyno wrote:
175 (5' 9") on a M - spot on for me, awesome bike Big Grin

Looks awesome....i'm sure is awesome to ride it Big Grin
Thanks for the answer.
I'm pretty sure that my frame size must be a Small. If you have 175cm and it is spot on, with my 168cm i think i will be riding a truck Big Grin

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 5:54 Quote
Im 170cm and looking at a new firebird. Theres no pivot dealers in brazil so I have to look at specs. The medium firebird is a lot larger than my medium jekyll: 20mm more reach, 46mm longer wheelbase, 26mm larger stack but the seat tube angle is steeper. It took me a while to find pivot's recommended sizing (its in the FAQ) and I think that I should be on a small. Per pivot's site:

To ensure the best sizing, we recommend that you visit your local Pivot dealer to get a professional fit and refer to our geometry chart to check your measurements. However, we can provide a rough guideline. These recommendations are based on our experience, athlete preference and customer feedback:

Small: 5‘2“ – 5‘8“ | 1,57 - 1,73 m

Medium: 5‘9“ – 6‘ | 1,73 - 1,83 m

Large: 6‘ – 6‘4" | 1,83 - 1,93 m

X-Large: 6‘3“ – 6’9” | 1,90 - 2,06 m

We suggest that you pick your Firebird size based on your riding style. The Firebird features very progressive long re­ach geometry with both short seat tube and head tube measu­rements per size – this geometry means that most riders can go up or down a size and should base their choice on riding-style, reach and stem length preferences. Be sure to also consult our dropper post fit guide when making your selection. You can always reach out to us on Live Chat for additional guidance.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 6:18 Quote
i-squared-r wrote:
Im 170cm and looking at a new firebird. Theres no pivot dealers in brazil so I have to look at specs. The medium firebird is a lot larger than my medium jekyll: 20mm more reach, 46mm longer wheelbase, 26mm larger stack but the seat tube angle is steeper. It took me a while to find pivot's recommended sizing (its in the FAQ) and I think that I should be on a small. Per pivot's site:

To ensure the best sizing, we recommend that you visit your local Pivot dealer to get a professional fit and refer to our geometry chart to check your measurements. However, we can provide a rough guideline. These recommendations are based on our experience, athlete preference and customer feedback:

We suggest that you pick your Firebird size based on your riding style. The Firebird features very progressive long re­ach geometry with both short seat tube and head tube measu­rements per size – this geometry means that most riders can go up or down a size and should base their choice on riding-style, reach and stem length preferences. Be sure to also consult our dropper post fit guide when making your selection. You can always reach out to us on Live Chat for additional guidance.

My first port of call would be seat tube length / dropper insertion, then preferred reach. I am also 170cm, my max comfortable seat post (to get 180mm drop) would be around 420, with at least 200mm insertion depth. Reach is very personal. My Starling is 450 which I liked a lot, my Privateer is 470 which I absolutely love. It will depend a lot on your terrain and preference.

Looking at the geo, you could easily pick between small and medium (IMO):

Small
ST - 385
Reach - 445-460

Medium
ST - 410
Reach - 468-473

Pretty progressive numbers! If you're used to a 450mm bike, I personally don't think the jump to the medium is too much, but I prefer the feel of bigger bikes and ride mostly steep and technical trails.

ETA - we have a Pivot dealer in our town and these bikes are seriously nice. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 19:14 Quote
I'm in the same situation.
I'm 168cm and always ride M bikes...but the bikes got longer.
I talked with a guy in the Pivot website chat, and he advised me to go for the Small, because he told me that most of the buyers with the same height found the Medium to long. If your trails have switchbacks like mines maybe a bigger bike will be to hard to handle.

i-squared-r wrote:

Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 17:36 Quote
To cause some more confusion, I’m 5’11” and the large is perfect for HOW I LIKE TO PLAY.

Posted: Feb 20, 2022 at 8:17 Quote
Anyone got any experience with the new Firebird set up as a mullet?

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 11:55 Quote
ronanwhitts wrote:
Anyone got any experience with the new Firebird set up as a mullet?

Can confirm, mullet Firebird goes well

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 12:42 Quote
Question for the owners of newest version, anyone noticed problem with noisy frame?

Small & fast obstacles like braking bumps drives me crazy as the bike is loud as f***. I blame the cables but have no idea what can be a solution or if I'm going with right direction. Currently I've put a little tape on the cables where they're going into the frame & I think it helped a little, but maybe somebody have any other solution or advice?

Here's mine build:
Pivot Firebird 22

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 21:00 Quote
spqrtomas wrote:
Question for the owners of newest version, anyone noticed problem with noisy frame?

Small & fast obstacles like braking bumps drives me crazy as the bike is loud as f***. I blame the cables but have no idea what can be a solution or if I'm going with right direction. Currently I've put a little tape on the cables where they're going into the frame & I think it helped a little, but maybe somebody have any other solution or advice?

Here's mine build:

The frame is not tube-in-tube, so you definitely want to purchase some the foam tubes to run on (at least) the dropper cable and shifter cable through the frame. The brake hoses are less susceptible as they are slightly larger diameter in the cable mounts and don't seem to rattle as much. Jagwire make them.

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 3:16 Quote
Looking at buying a new firebird race slx/xt would it be a worthy upgrade from my Mondraker dune r 2019?

Also I’m 180cm so just between sizes, which should I go for, medium or large?

And how much do these bikes actually weigh with pedals and dd casing tires?

Cheers!

Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 6:52 Quote
jamesstrong wrote:

Also I’m 180cm so just between sizes, which should I go for, medium or large?

Cheers!

Good luck on the size. I almost didn't buy a firebird because I was in between sizes. So either will work. I went down vs up based on feedback, but now second guess that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013367
Mobile Version of Website