The Firebird 29er thread

PB Forum :: Pivot Cycles
The Firebird 29er thread
Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 0:38 Quote
will2ride wrote:
seccitaj wrote:
jkelm wrote:
I'M 5'9" went medium. Fits great and its my do it all bike.

Thanks! I also decided to go with medium, and one is now on it's way! Smile

M should be good. I'm 5'10" and went medium. Have done a couple of the Canadian Enduro races and a bunch of bike parks/squamish slabs/etc. Definitely a stable bike.

Yap, received my bike two days ago and was able to build it up. And agree with this, going with medium was definately the right choice. It's obviously a big bike, but i definately did not feel it as extensively long or cumbersome. So anyone else wondering which size to go as 5'8 - 5'10, id strongly advice medium.

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 15:09 Quote
Hi all

actually tried to start my own firebird 29 thread recently as was getting mine but didnt realise this one was already going so just saying Hi

medium (5'9"), RaceXT with an X2

Love this bike !!!

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 18:10 Quote
FWIW I'm 5'7" and ended up on a MED. Bought a small based on the numbers and it always felt weird. Got a chance to demo a MED and knew that was my size. Expensive error.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 2:01 Quote
spicolli1976 wrote:
New bike day!!!Beer

Nice, where is that ? (I'm in UK so may not mean much to me but you got some proper hills there for sure)

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 6:59 Quote
billyno wrote:
spicolli1976 wrote:
New bike day!!!Beer

Nice, where is that ? (I'm in UK so may not mean much to me but you got some proper hills there for sure)

Thanks! San Juan Trail in Southern California. One of my local trails and one of my favorites!! If you ever make it over here, I highly recommend it. Cheers!

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 20:52 Quote
Hey all,

I'm on the brink of ordering one of these. My only concern is I'm 6'5" and am worried with the slackish seat angle and short chain stay climbing is going to suck. Anyone riding an XL with some feedback?

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 8:25 Quote
b-mcclelland wrote:
Hey all,

I'm on the brink of ordering one of these. My only concern is I'm 6'5" and am worried with the slackish seat angle and short chain stay climbing is going to suck. Anyone riding an XL with some feedback?

No feedback on the XL as I ride a M, but this thing climbs ridiculously well for a 170mm/162mm enduro brawler. You could also bump the seat forward to combat this slack seat angle (although it's not really that slack, atleast to me).

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 8:31 Quote
jkelm wrote:
b-mcclelland wrote:
Hey all,

No feedback on the XL as I ride a M, but this thing climbs ridiculously well for a 170mm/162mm enduro brawler. You could also bump the seat forward to combat this slack seat angle (although it's not really that slack, atleast to me).

I am also on M but also agree this bike climbs super well for it's travel and the short chainstays are what makes it feel a lot more agile than other enduro monster trucks that I test rode
If climbing prowess is a main concern I'd say you might be looking at the wrong (type of) bike Wink

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 18:59 Quote
billyno wrote:
jkelm wrote:
b-mcclelland wrote:
Hey all,

I am also on M but also agree this bike climbs super well for it's travel and the short chainstays are what makes it feel a lot more agile than other enduro monster trucks that I test rode
If climbing prowess is a main concern I'd say you might be looking at the wrong (type of) bike Wink

I'm replacing my Banshee Darkside and a Transition Smuggler with one bike. I've been considering a sentinal, or an SB150 as challengers. Both of which aren't quite the long travel animal this bike is. I just want to be sure that on the long saddle days I'm not going to be climbing a bike that's more freeride than Enduro.

I think I'm sold on it anyway as I keep finding myself drawn to it and doing the most research on it of any of the three

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 0:55 Quote
b-mcclelland wrote:
billyno wrote:
jkelm wrote:

I'm replacing my Banshee Darkside and a Transition Smuggler with one bike. I've been considering a sentinal, or an SB150 as challengers. Both of which aren't quite the long travel animal this bike is. I just want to be sure that on the long saddle days I'm not going to be climbing a bike that's more freeride than Enduro.

I think I'm sold on it anyway as I keep finding myself drawn to it and doing the most research on it of any of the three

when I was choosing what to get I rode a few inc the Rallon, the SB150 and the Megatower - they were all great bikes but altho they all felt like they could smash thru anything they also felt a bit unengaging and were really hard (for me) to manual.
I was drawn to the Firebird by reading reviews about how it didn't feel like a bigger travel bike and was more agile/poppy - this is how I felt when I rode it and it is also much easier for me to unweight the front.
FWIW while it makes you feel you can get over anything I would say it feels more trail-bikey and less monster-trucky than the others

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 7:40 Quote
b-mcclelland wrote:
billyno wrote:
jkelm wrote:

I test rode the SB150 and the Firebird back to back, same day, same trail, and didn't like the SB150 at all. I've ridden the Colorado Trail on my Firebird and if you know what that is, it's like 5-8 hours days in the saddle with 6k of climbing without issue. I would not say the Firebird is a freeride bike at all either.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 7:46 Quote
I've also raced my Firebird in a more "XC" oriented all-day stage race and did just fine. I also agree with everything billyno has said. Bottom line, this bike is an absolute pinner.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 6:18 Quote
jkelm wrote:
I have nearly 200 miles on my Firebird already and no issues so far. I agree with snake, you should check all bolts if coming pre-assembled. My only gripe is Pivots carbon handlebars + grips combo are pretty harsh on the hands and forearms. I'll be switching back to my usual setup soon though, ODI Elite grips and OneUp carbon bar.

Opinions on the OneUp bar?
I know this is a FB thread but am torn between the OneUp and Deity bars when I build mine up

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 6:25 Quote
Also, would love to get some feedback on how the FB29 pedals, am currently on a Large 2019 Slash at 6’2.5” (slightly taller with shoes). Would probably spring for the XL FB29 unless advised against. I recently demod the new megatower and hightower back to back (XL) and was impressed with how they pedalled, save for how they sag into their travel.
Will the FB29 pedal better than my current rig?

Thanks!

Active Forum Threads
1 mins ago - Canyon Owners Club
3 mins ago - 2019 Stumpjumper Evo
5 mins ago - Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
1 hours ago - Kona Process 153 vs Ibis Ripmo AF: Which is Better For Beginners?
2 hours ago - The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
2 hours ago - Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
3 hours ago - Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!
3 hours ago - Greece for enduro riding in winter
3 hours ago - 2020 - SantaCruz Tallboy Carbon vs Canyon Neuron CF 9.0 SL
5 hours ago - Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
5 hours ago - Trail Conditions for Calgarians
5 hours ago - Post your Propain!
5 hours ago - How should I go about custom painting my fork?
5 hours ago - Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
6 hours ago - Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
6 hours ago - Trailforks.com Bug Reports
6 hours ago - I really want my bike back....
6 hours ago - [STOLEN BIKES] Post Your Stolen Bike Ad Here (U.S.A/Canada/South America Only)
7 hours ago - Official Vernon Riders Thread
7 hours ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
7 hours ago - Better cable routing grommets - 2019 Capra AL
8 hours ago - Banshee Bikes, NS Bikes, YT Industries Bikes and Ragley Bikes need their own manufacturer forum on Pinkbike
8 hours ago - Show your all mountain bike
8 hours ago - Motobecane Hal Boost: Anyone Riding a BD Bike?
8 hours ago - Best Do it all Bike

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012684
Mobile Version of Website