Do you think 2x will come back?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Do you think 2x will come back?
Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 12:35 Quote
This is stupid, front derailers are inferior in every way. Get a shimano setup, you can bang out two gears in a click, I can move accross the usable range of my cassette faster than a front derailer can drop a ring. What kind of riding are you doing where you need so much range? The only time I have ever wanted more out of my 32 tooth front ring was pedalling down paved canyon roads passing cars at 30+ mph, never on actual trails.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 13:01 Quote
kona-jon wrote:
This is stupid, front derailers are inferior in every way. Get a shimano setup, you can bang out two gears in a click, I can move accross the usable range of my cassette faster than a front derailer can drop a ring. What kind of riding are you doing where you need so much range? The only time I have ever wanted more out of my 32 tooth front ring was pedalling down paved canyon roads passing cars at 30+ mph, never on actual trails.

People don't all ride the same and people don't all live in the same areas. Your attitude of "I don't need it so you don't either" is what is wrong the MTB industry currently.

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 13:54 Quote
Explodo wrote:
kona-jon wrote:

People don't all ride the same and people don't all live in the same areas. Your attitude of "I don't need it so you don't either" is what is wrong the MTB industry currently.

Everyone’s riding environment is different. Some people are from Iowa telling us in the Rocky Mountains that 1x is more than enough to get up any terrain when it’s really just not. Personally, I love 1x and am willing to push on a long 12% grade climb if needed. I can also pop on a 26 or 24t ring if I am going on a super long steep day of climbing and sacrifice some top end coming back down. For me it’s great, front derailures have always been a crappy design imo but there’s 100% still a place in mountain biking for a 2x set up, the issue is 90% of the customers want 1x and not many companies are going to cater to the 10%.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 14:16 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Explodo wrote:
kona-jon wrote:

Everyone’s riding environment is different. Some people are from Iowa telling us in the Rocky Mountains that 1x is more than enough to get up any terrain when it’s really just not. Personally, I love 1x and am willing to push on a long 12% grade climb if needed. I can also pop on a 26 or 24t ring if I am going on a super long steep day of climbing and sacrifice some top end coming back down. For me it’s great, front derailures have always been a crappy design imo but there’s 100% still a place in mountain biking for a 2x set up, the issue is 90% of the customers want 1x and not many companies are going to cater to the 10%.

I just hope there are still companies catering to 2x once I manage to ruin/break this new frame or I'll have to buy used frames and hope I can still get parts.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 22:05 Quote
Sram GX does not suck if your $7000 bike isn't shifting properly take it in for a tune up.
Actually none of the current drive trains suck.
I have a 2 by on my XC bike and it works well.
But on my enduro bike I have sram eagle and its great. Go with the suggestion of a 28 or 30 tooth up front and you will be happy climbing.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 7:23 Quote
Bozeman10 wrote:
Sram GX does not suck if your $7000 bike isn't shifting properly take it in for a tune up.
Actually none of the current drive trains suck.
I have a 2 by on my XC bike and it works well.
But on my enduro bike I have sram eagle and its great. Go with the suggestion of a 28 or 30 tooth up front and you will be happy climbing.

I don't have a problem climbing with the 32 tooth the bike came with. I have a problem with running out on the top end. The shifting on the GX isn't bad except in comparison to the shifting on the XT 2x that I came from.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
Sram does suck for shifting efficiency. I like shimano 1x because going down cog is push or pull and push can be 2 shifts per push, so 2 pushes is 4 shifts. That takes care of the need for a front der.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 15:07 Quote
Explode, I totally agree that the new 1X bikes that won’t fit a larger chainring lack higher speed gears. A 10-50 cassette has plenty range, but 32/10 is only 3.2:1 ratio. My 3x9 with 44/11 is 4:1, and the only way to get that with a 10-50 is with a 40t ring. That won’t fit on any of the newer 1X MTBs.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 18:14 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
Explode, I totally agree that the new 1X bikes that won’t fit a larger chainring lack higher speed gears. A 10-50 cassette has plenty range, but 32/10 is only 3.2:1 ratio. My 3x9 with 44/11 is 4:1, and the only way to get that with a 10-50 is with a 40t ring. That won’t fit on any of the newer 1X MTBs.

That's incorrect as with a front derailleur, you cannot actually use the full range especially on a 3x setup. You cannot use big/big or small/small so that range % needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 0:00 Quote
But big front and small back will give the 4:1 ratio. I’ve not noticed the lack of gears on my 1x systems though.

I think most people running 50T cassettes will be running 34 or 36 at the front rather than 32 though.

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 0:35 Quote
My knolly warden carbon comes with a direct mount option. I'm completely happy with my 1x set up; it suits what and where I ride but it's nice to have the option.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 1:51 Quote
My Ibis Ripley LS has the ability to run a front derailleur for a 2x system. I run a 1x currently 30f with 46-11 cassette. There are times when I miss the 3x on my older bike's 9speed. The problem with most bikes running a front derailleur is the location of the suspension pivot and chainstay.

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 5:36 Quote
thesmokingman wrote:
DonLopez wrote:

That's incorrect as with a front derailleur, you cannot actually use the full range especially on a 3x setup. You cannot use big/big or small/small so that range % needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

The range of gears on 2x and 3x comes from big/small (4:1) and small/big (1:0.75+/-), so chain angle is not a problem. My 3x9 may not have 27 usable gears, but has plenty of range and about 15 usable gears. Middle ring works with all 9, big ring adds about 3 higher gears and small ring adds about 3 lower gears. With 11-32 cassette, I would not want a 1X.
With 10-50 or 10-51, I would not want a front derailleur.

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 6:36 Quote
When I first switched to 1x it was a 1x10 11-36 with a 30 front ring,and that was way better than the 2x I had ridden before. I am now on a box1 1x11 11-46 with a 34 front ring and that’s more than I need for where I am.(granted I used to ride fully rigid ss and really miss it so I might not be the one to compare gear ranges)

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 6:54 Quote
thesmokingman wrote:
DonLopez wrote:

You can use big/big all the time. I used big/big for most of my climbing and never had a problem or broken chains.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013656
Mobile Version of Website