Old boy back in game, need crank knowledge!!

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Old boy back in game, need crank knowledge!!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 13:33 Quote
Hi guys,
I've now retired my old MKII Ellsworth Moment that's some 15 years old and once upon a time, I knew everything about bikes and components. I've just purchased a second hand Capra CF and have literally no flippin clue about even bottom brackets now.
My question, the Capra is in need of new cranks. I believe she is a PF30. I don't know what the BB is though. The current dead crank is a SixC, which looks to have this cinch system. Do I have to get a cinch chainset as a replacement? Will any PF30 / BB30 chainset with a 73mm spindle suit?
Any advice welcome, I am a bit lost.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 11:19 Quote
oneloosecrank wrote:
Hi guys,
I've now retired my old MKII Ellsworth Moment that's some 15 years old and once upon a time, I knew everything about bikes and components. I've just purchased a second hand Capra CF and have literally no flippin clue about even bottom brackets now.
My question, the Capra is in need of new cranks. I believe she is a PF30. I don't know what the BB is though. The current dead crank is a SixC, which looks to have this cinch system. Do I have to get a cinch chainset as a replacement? Will any PF30 / BB30 chainset with a 73mm spindle suit?

Yes it's a common and standard Race Face Press Fit 30 BB. Unless you change the BB to one with another style of crank interface you're pretty much stuck using a Cinch (RF) crank of some kind (not a bad thing -they have a lot of options) BB/crank interfaces have become kinda proprietary these days, so choose wisely. There are lots of Cinch chain rings available besides RF like Wolf Tooth and OneUp, etc.OneUp also makes an adapter to run a non-Cinch ring I believe.

What happened to the 6c?

Posted: May 24, 2019 at 0:43 Quote
endlessblockades wrote:
oneloosecrank wrote:
Hi guys,

The pedal wasn't installed correctly and had threaded the crank. I took it to the lbs who retapped the crank but it still wouldn't take the pedal. I actually cued it by driving the pedal in through the rear of the crank which just set the threads straight, and the crank now takes the pedal just fine, so catastrophic averted!
Thanks for the feedback though. I doubt I'll get around to learning the new standards and will just ride what I have, most will be replaced unless I break something.

Yes it's a common and standard Race Face Press Fit 30 BB. Unless you change the BB to one with another style of crank interface you're pretty much stuck using a Cinch (RF) crank of some kind (not a bad thing -they have a lot of options) BB/crank interfaces have become kinda proprietary these days, so choose wisely. There are lots of Cinch chain rings available besides RF like Wolf Tooth and OneUp, etc.OneUp also makes an adapter to run a non-Cinch ring I believe.

What happened to the 6c?

Posted: May 24, 2019 at 2:05 Quote
Big Grin I was in exactly the same position, except mine was 2002 Ellsworth iD, finally gave up on it last year and got a Jeffsy, such a lot has changed, but mostly for the better I think!

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016803
Mobile Version of Website