Clunk when my front wheel hits something

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Clunk when my front wheel hits something
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 12:54 Quote
I went out for a ride this morning and as my front wheel hit something or I went off a drop of , it made a clunk noise and felt almost like the front wheel was slightly loose.However, I loosened the front wheel and then tightened it again but it made no difference. Does anyone know why this is happening? Could it be my forks ?
Cheers.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 13:06 Quote
Sounds like your hub bearings are shot.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
rideonjon wrote:
Sounds like your hub bearings are shot.
uh oh! Would that be a bike shop job ?

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 15:15 Quote
Depends on how comfortable you are working on your bike.Not too hard to pop the bearing out and push another one in.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 18:00 Quote
Check your headset as well. Turn the wheel 90*, hold the brakes on and rock the bike forward and back. If its moving this way you've got a headset issue. Another possibility is you've killed your bushings in your fork. This will require a rebuild or a new fork depending on the quality of your fork. Hub bearings might be on the radar. Most sealed bearings don't really fail in the fashion you describe, but cup and cone bearings sometimes do. A quick Google search of your hubs should sort that out.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 22:53 Quote
First try to retighten your headset. It might just be loose. If you do not tighten the bearings enough when preloading the headset it can feel like you described.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 6:44 Quote
Did you find out what it was?
Got a similar issue..... it sucks lol

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
Can be volume spacers that have come loose in the fork. Easy to fix

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005850
Mobile Version of Website