is there a middle ground between trail and xc

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
is there a middle ground between trail and xc
| Next Page
Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 10:20 Quote
I have raced a RM element 70 for two season in AZ and also used it for riding CO, UT, NV, and CA. It handled two trips down TWE clearing all the extra credit hucks on LPS. I think anything with 100/120 or 120/120 and a fox34 will handle what you are looking for.

check out a few of these,
fezzari signal peak
intense sniper trail
orbea oiz two stroke
canyon lux
RM Element

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 10:30 Quote
I would look into the cannondale scalpel se series. I have one as my “down country” bike and it is a really beefed up xc bike. It can definitely handle xc racing and trail use. I put some minions on mine to make it more trail capable and it can handle teach trails and flow trails. I also raced it at the local xc race as well as a 50 mile endurance race.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 15:36 Quote
I'm entertaining the thought of an Ibis DV9 set up with a 120 mm fork and dropper myself.
Set up with 2.6 up front and 2.4 in the rear it should be more than capable enough for trailwork, and with 2.25's will be a very capable race bike or gravelgrinder/marathon bike as well.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 17:59 Quote
Tjomball wrote:
I'm entertaining the thought of an Ibis DV9 set up with a 120 mm fork and dropper myself.
Set up with 2.6 up front and 2.4 in the rear it should be more than capable enough for trailwork, and with 2.25's will be a very capable race bike or gravelgrinder/marathon bike as well.

I have a Santa Cruz Chameleon with a 120mm fork and a dropper and it is super capable. I've ridden it on all sorts of crazy stuff but it's light and fast and can rip uphill.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 18:47 Quote
Tallboy is very capable, more capable than its travel suggests. Before buying mine, I was on a 5010. At 50, I am not racing but still like to ride the xc stuff as well as the mtn stuff I used to ride when I was in my 30's. Cannot believe I rode all that on my 2000 Superlight, as in Pisgah. After watching a 2017 review of the TB by yumyum on youtube, I knew I would not override it. I have recently moved to a longer travel bike, but the TB is actually better suited for the majority of what I ride. It is interesting, I can throw some lightwieght xc tires on it and go rip some xc trails or put something a little beefier and hit the higher elevations of NC. At my age though, my new bike is just a tad more controlled in the faster downhill stuff, and for me, that is the better route for now. So, the TB is being sold.

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 14:31 Quote
26er-rider wrote:
ajlutz210 wrote:
If I'm going to race XC, I want a bike that can stand up to what mostly everyone would consider "trail" conditions. My guess is that any non-low-end XC bike will be more than good enough for what this post is asking. (Although it is difficult to tell what this post is asking.)

I think that most people have an unreasonable idea of bikes being fragile and/or unstable. Look at what everyone was riding 5-10 years ago. Newer geometry is nice, but most bikes are tough as hell. You can shred trails and jump on a road bike if you have the skill.

guess I should have been a little more clear on my post, the stuff I ride ranges from 7 mile cross country races on uphill flow trails to double black diamond tech and even to bike parks technically if I wanted to I could ride an xc bike on some double black tech or downhill trails but it gets scary I just sold my trail bike to get something else so I was only riding my xc bike, I did take it on double black gnar though it did fine just a little scary when things get steep.

I'm riding all that on my Intense spider 275c and find it works well. It's certainly not s plow bike bit with some finesse it'll make really good time down most anything. I live on a technical, black rated trail with about 1500' of altiitude change bottom to top and don't know of anything that'd be more fun on a trail like this.

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 18:03 Quote
That Spider 275 looks like a great bike.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014451
Mobile Version of Website