Tall guy

Previous Page |
Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 17:26 Quote
Hello I'm 6'10"
I'm looking for the biggest full suspension 29in bike possible
So far I have only found a specialized stump jumper fsr 29 xxl on there website. However after emailing specialized, they said they dont have any .
Any help or direction would be appreciated

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 17:33 Quote
I don't have personal experience with that yet... I'm currently 6'4" on an XXL 29er hardtail, still saving for my full-suspension lol. I know Bird, Guerrilla Gravity, Transition (Sentinel), Kona Process, Spesh Enduro (I think?) have XL/XXL's with >500mm reach, which should work... I'm probably forgetting several at the moment.. most bikes recently have gotten super long... Mondraker's another, I think the new Megatower?....
and of course biggest of the big are Geometron and Pole.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 18:15 Quote
There's a guy who has compiled a few spreadsheets of XL and XXL bike geometry numbers (stack and reach) on one of these forums ( https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/xxl-bike-tall-riders-66-a-1035104.html ).

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 20:38 Quote
how long are your legs? Mine are 36 inches long so the top tube needs to be pretty long. You ride all mountain so perhaps wider handlebars and a longer stem with a dropper post? Do you have long arms?

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 23:38 Quote
Pole and Nukeproof bikes might be worth a look see.

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 5:25 Quote
TheGnome wrote:
how long are your legs? Mine are 36 inches long so the top tube needs to be pretty long. You ride all mountain so perhaps wider handlebars and a longer stem with a dropper post? Do you have long arms?

Yea I wear a 38 inch inseam, my arms are long.
I like your ideas, I was recently in a bike store going over those options

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 6:21 Quote
Check for custom sized bikes from Nicolai, MDE, ... They may not be the prettiest, but at least they will most likely suit your size.

The MDE Damper has a 29" version, and the custom geometry costs 150€ (brings the frame to something like 1800€). I don't know about Nicolai, but possibly more expensive.

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 7:06 Quote
10YearsHanging wrote:
Hello I'm 6'10"
I'm looking for the biggest full suspension 29in bike possible
So far I have only found a specialized stump jumper fsr 29 xxl on there website. However after emailing specialized, they said they dont have any .
Any help or direction would be appreciated

Mondraker. They have huge bikes, to begin with, and they will definitely cater to your hight. They make an Xl with a 510 mil reach. Also the specialized endruo in xxl is huge

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 8:27 Quote
What you really want is long reach; don't worry about the nominal size (I've seen an XL smaller than another brand's Small) or seat tube length. Also, a slack head tube angle will allow you to run a longer stem, but reach is more important.

I do a custom reach calculation that factors in different stack heights, so these numbers won't be exactly what you see on a geometry chart.

In descending order of reach, in mm:

Nicolai:
- G1: 572 - 574. Nothing is larger without going custom.
- Saturn 14: 551
Pole:
- Stamina: 569
- Machine: 558
Guerrilla Gravity, various models: 541 - 543
Santa Cruz Megatower: 539
Cotic RocketMAX: 532
Bird: Aeris 145 & AM9: 526 - 531

You could get a custom DirtySixer with 36" wheels that looks proportional under people even taller than you!

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 12:46 Quote
Santa Cruz Megatower XXL - Its larger then then SB150.

I have one on order that should arrive late May.

I'm 6'6" tall. I love my SB150. Fits just about perfect.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 19:17 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
What you really want is long reach; don't worry about the nominal size (I've seen an XL smaller than another brand's Small) or seat tube length. Also, a slack head tube angle will allow you to run a longer stem, but reach is more important.

I do a custom reach calculation that factors in different stack heights, so these numbers won't be exactly what you see on a geometry chart.

In descending order of reach, in mm:

Nicolai:
- G1: 572 - 574. Nothing is larger without going custom.
- Saturn 14: 551
Pole:
- Stamina: 569
- Machine: 558
Guerrilla Gravity, various models: 541 - 543
Santa Cruz Megatower: 539
Cotic RocketMAX: 532
Bird: Aeris 145 & AM9: 526 - 531

You could get a custom DirtySixer with 36" wheels that looks proportional under people even taller than you!

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 19:17 Quote
Wow, so far the most helpful thankyou

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 19:18 Quote
10YearsHanging wrote:

Salute

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 19:19 Quote
10YearsHanging wrote:
I am very concerned with being able to still fully extend my leg while pedaling. I've seen trek bikes that fit a 37in inseam, I am a 38 inch inseam

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 0:20 Quote
Go custom and extend the seat tube? I have a picture somewhere of a MDE Damper that was made for a giant ... I'll see if I can find it.

edit, found it:
forum use

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027278
Mobile Version of Website