Devinci Spartan 27.5 or Santa Cruz Nomad?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Devinci Spartan 27.5 or Santa Cruz Nomad?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 5:58 Quote
I'm trying to find an enduro bike that can also be a good all-arounder. These are the two bikes my research has led me to. Seems like you can't go wrong with either of them but still curious of what other people's thoughts are. I live in Colorado.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 6:45 Quote
No riding time on the Spartan, but I wasn't a fan of the new Nomad or it's cheap rear shock.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 8:19 Quote
I've just got a Nomad, it's wicked! Never ridden a Spartan. Bikemag did a comparison though.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 10:45 Quote
GnarPadawan7 wrote:
I'm trying to find an enduro bike that can also be a good all-arounder. These are the two bikes my research has led me to. Seems like you can't go wrong with either of them but still curious of what other people's thoughts are. I live in Colorado.

don't over look the Giant Reign alum or carbon, 'virtual' Meastro suspension that is very effective and efficient climbing. or if your a bit more enduro/trail the Trance is an amazing pkg

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 14:00 Quote
I want to get a Reign but all the reviews say it climbs like a pig! Are they wrong? Serious

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 16:58 Quote
Reign geo (seat angle) lets it down unless you’re very short.

The Spartan is awesome. Best thing you can do is get the shock a Tractive tune immediately, and you’ll end up with an amazing bike. I’ve owned the 27.5 and 29 and unless there’s a strong reason not to, I’d recommend the 29. It’s a better bike all round.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 18:46 Quote
heinous wrote:

The Spartan is awesome. Best thing you can do is get the shock a Tractive tune immediately, and you’ll end up with an amazing bike. I’ve owned the 27.5 and 29 and unless there’s a strong reason not to, I’d recommend the 29. It’s a better bike all round.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 19:02 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
I want to get a Reign but all the reviews say it climbs like a pig! Are they wrong? Serious

I have a 2017 Reign Advanced 1 with a 30 front and 50 rear Shimano XT set up and it climbs awesome. Don't let the seat angle bother you. You get used to it. I do big rides with over 5k elevation and hours of seat time. I'm 5,7 and ride a small frame. You can compare the Reign to Intense or YT but one thing is for sure My Reign Bombs DH. Only upgrade I have made is Carbon 800mm bars.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 19:31 Quote
heinous wrote:

Nice, thanks for tip. What made you like the 29 more? Just curious bc I was leaning towards the 27.5.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 20:09 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:

Well, my 2017 SX came with a 170 fork and a coil shock and no climb switches front or rear. It doesn’t need them, whether it’s on a smooth climb or a tech big move lunge fest. Yes, it’s not the lightest, but it probably shouldn’t be for it’s intentions. It’s meant to be a brawler. I recently rented a Evil Offering, and it was much lighter, and a better climber (mostly due to the weight), but it gave up more than I’d like on the way back down.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 20:16 Quote
yzedf wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

Well, my 2017 SX came with a 170 fork and a coil shock and no climb switches front or rear. It doesn’t need them, whether it’s on a smooth climb or a tech big move lunge fest. Yes, it’s not the lightest, but it probably shouldn’t be for it’s intentions. It’s meant to be a brawler. I recently rented a Evil Offering, and it was much lighter, and a better climber (mostly due to the weight), but it gave up more than I’d like on the way back down.

I rode a Transition Sentinel last year and wanted more bike. Smaller wheels, but more bike.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 21:16 Quote
GnarPadawan7 wrote:
heinous wrote:

Nice, thanks for tip. What made you like the 29 more? Just curious bc I was leaning towards the 27.5.

It climbs and rolls better, and the front end seems to hold up better when things starting going south, so it feels like a larger envelope to correct in. The way Devinci designed the spartan the larger wheels seem to benefit more from the stiff frame and progressive suspension.

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 at 9:01 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
yzedf wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

I rode a Transition Sentinel last year and wanted more bike. Smaller wheels, but more bike.

I felt the same way. I will say that my Reign SX climbs better than the Sentinel, less pedal strikes.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017785
Mobile Version of Website