What does bottoming out feel like?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What does bottoming out feel like?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 6:49 Quote
I know this may be a silly question, but I’ve got a coil shock on my 2017 YT Jeffsy. As I’ve gotten more aggressive (quicker) in my riding, I’m noticing that I occasionally get a “twang” type feeling when I land off big hits or in more technical terrain.

I just wanted to check that this is bottoming out, before I upgrade to a higher rated spring.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 7:09 Quote
Keep in mind if your bottoming out it doesn't necessarily mean you need a heavier spring. If you have the proper amount of sag, that spring is correct. What you can try is adjusting high speed compression if your shock has it .

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 8:03 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
I know this may be a silly question, but I’ve got a coil shock on my 2017 YT Jeffsy. As I’ve gotten more aggressive (quicker) in my riding, I’m noticing that I occasionally get a “twang” type feeling when I land off big hits or in more technical terrain.

I just wanted to check that this is bottoming out, before I upgrade to a higher rated spring.

Thanks in advance.
The twang that you are experiencing could be a bottom out on your suspension or it also could be a hard hit on your wheel. If you land really hard you can compress the tire flat (this will quite often also pinch flat the tire) and the wheel can make a twang sound.

As for bottoming out your suspension, it is not necessary always bad. As long as it is only happening on the largest of hits you do and not constantly or a really hard bottom out. As you want to be using all of your travel.

If it is a hard bottom out (you will know) and it is happening more than just occasionally then you will need to add more compression dampening or a stiffer spring rate.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 9:52 Quote
StumpyJR wrote:
Keep in mind if your bottoming out it doesn't necessarily mean you need a heavier spring. If you have the proper amount of sag, that spring is correct. What you can try is adjusting high speed compression if your shock has it .

Sag is correct, but with quite a lot of preload wound on (upper limit). On the spring rate calculator I came up around 470, and went for a 450 spring. I’m currently riding at 5kg over my summer weight and am also riding faster and harder.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 9:55 Quote
DugS wrote:
BarneyStinson wrote:

Thanks in advance.
The twang that you are experiencing could be a bottom out on your suspension or it also could be a hard hit on your wheel. If you land really hard you can compress the tire flat (this will quite often also pinch flat the tire) and the wheel can make a twang sound.

As for bottoming out your suspension, it is not necessary always bad. As long as it is only happening on the largest of hits you do and not constantly or a really hard bottom out. As you want to be using all of your travel.

If it is a hard bottom out (you will know) and it is happening more than just occasionally then you will need to add more compression dampening or a stiffer spring rate.

It’s definitely not a rim ding, it’s a deeper note than that.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010315
Mobile Version of Website