Fox grip2 making noise

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 23, 2019 at 4:35 Quote
I posted this in the mechanics lounge but didn’t get any responses. I just put in a grip2 damper in my 2019 fox float 36 performance fork. I followed all of the install steps per fox and noticed a whooshing sound upon rebound of the fork. It is noticeable as I ride the bike, especially on the slower uphill sections as I roll slowly over rocks and roots. I called fox and they said this is normal. I demod the version of my bike that came with the grip2 damper on it and don’t recall this occurring with the fork. I can’t imagine fox designed the fork to do this as it is just really annoying and it isn’t mentioned on any online reviews of the fork. I feel like I am getting the run around from fox. Can anyone confirm that their fork doesn’t make this noise with the grip2 damper in it? Thank you

Posted: Apr 23, 2019 at 5:02 Quote
Could you record it ?

Is it on the compression or rebound phase?
If you open the low speed compression/rebound (depending on the above question Wink ), does the sound disappear?

If it's on the rebound phase, and disappears when you open the rebound, that's just oil being slowed in the damper. It's also louder the more you close the rebound setting (I run rather high pressures, and the rebound is quite noisy, but I don't mind as it's a normal noise)

(It's not a 36 in my case, but a 40)

Posted: Apr 23, 2019 at 6:23 Quote
Hey, my RC2 (I think fit?) Fox 36 makes that same woosh sound on rebound. I wouldn't worry about it at all, lots of other forks i've owned have done this, I like to think its an indication that rebound is set perfectly Razz

Posted: Apr 23, 2019 at 6:46 Quote
It is just on the rebound. I guess it is just annoying and not something I expected. The grip damper that was in there didn’t do it and no other fox fork I have ever owned made this noise either. Seems odd this was their design intent. It’s kind of like a freak in your bottom bracket, it doesn’t really affect performance but it is just very annoying.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 10:14 Quote
I decided to upgrade from my rhythm grip1 fork to a performance elite with grip2 and I’m having the same problem. Unfortunately I picked up the fork used and I thought it would go away after servicing but nope, still super loud. I’ve never experienced this with any other fork including the grip1, multiple Pikes, and the current 2019 Lyrik that’s on my girlfriend’s bike. Of course the rhythm and the lyric make a little noise but it’s so subtle that you can’t even hear it over your own breathing or any trail noise when on the bike. If this is the peak of Fox performance suspension what an huge let down. I’m not a super particular person but it seems with so much effort and technology going into making a bike quiet, how is it acceptable to have it sound like you’re standing next to somebody unclogging a toilet the entire ride. If this is normal I’m absolutely swapping to a Lyrik. Incredibly bummed right now.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 16:24 Quote
I would still talk with fox even though it is used. They have been pretty good with me over the years on fixing a problem. Worth a try at least. Fox did replace my damper and while every now and again it will make some noise it is nowhere near where it was before and totally acceptable in my mind.

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 8:47 Quote
What type of oil you putted in there? Did you used fox teflon infused 5wt? Mine was brand new and never rebuild yet but just did an oil change with a different type oil 5wt and it makes a woosh sound on rebound now...

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007537
Mobile Version of Website