Post your BROOKLYN MACHINE WORKS bikes

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post your BROOKLYN MACHINE WORKS bikes
Posted: Jun 8, 2014 at 22:20 Quote
chaserider wrote:
It looks alot better with the Maverick fork. But I do suspect that it rides a bit better with the Marzocchi?

I agree, the bike looks a lot better with the maverick fork...problem with it ois that it never felt balanced with the softness of the dhs shock in the rear. It was like driving a hard stiff front end car that had soft rear shocks, didn't feel right.

So the super t feels matched in terms of the type of suspension...besides, the maverick forks are really finicky...and their damping is very basic - it feels basic too.

That being said, I'd like to try a manitou dorado sc if I ever came across one.

Posted: Jun 9, 2014 at 11:17 Quote
ledude wrote:
chaserider wrote:
It looks alot better with the Maverick fork. But I do suspect that it rides a bit better with the Marzocchi?

I agree, the bike looks a lot better with the maverick fork...problem with it ois that it never felt balanced with the softness of the dhs shock in the rear. It was like driving a hard stiff front end car that had soft rear shocks, didn't feel right.

So the super t feels matched in terms of the type of suspension...besides, the maverick forks are really finicky...and their damping is very basic - it feels basic too.

That being said, I'd like to try a manitou dorado sc if I ever came across one.

I hear you.
Ah, Manitou dorados are nice forks, but the Dorado SC is almost as rear as hens teeth. They were tough to get a hold of when they were manufactured, now, about 10 years later... well, hens teeth and all that.

If I had a minilink I would not mind a Fox 36 Van on it. Could be a nice setup!

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 at 14:43 Quote
deadmeat25 wrote:
I finally took some photos of my bike Smile

That looks super clean! What's the weight?

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 at 16:33 Quote
Must be around 43lb I think, it was 44.1lb before I put the tubeless Havoc wheels on. It had 321's on Biguns with heavy tubes when i weighed it then so it may even be lighter than that, I'll check soon Smile

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 at 23:23 Quote
Deadmeat25: It looks spectacular!

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 3:41 Quote
Thanks man Smile

Have to say though i am seriously considering throwing some cutting, grinding and welding at this bike Smile

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 8:53 Quote
deadmeat25 wrote:
Must be around 43lb I think, it was 44.1lb before I put the tubeless Havoc wheels on. It had 321's on Biguns with heavy tubes when i weighed it then so it may even be lighter than that, I'll check soon Smile

That's actually not bad for a Brooklyn.

deadmeat25 wrote:
Thanks man Smile

Have to say though i am seriously considering throwing some cutting, grinding and welding at this bike Smile

You mean, remaking the frame with lighter tubes? Maybe update the angles a bit? ...I'd love to see it.Big Grin

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 9:01 Quote
Ha ha, not quite remake the frame Smile But cut off the the top shock mount and and weld on a new one giving 2 degrees of slackery, then chop off the the BB shell and mount it lower and further back Smile

The thing is with a wheelbase this long, (normal by todays standards) the numbers are there! You just have to weld them into place Smile

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 11:19 Quote
deadmeat25 wrote:
Ha ha, not quite remake the frame Smile But cut off the the top shock mount and and weld on a new one giving 2 degrees of slackery, then chop off the the BB shell and mount it lower and further back Smile

The thing is with a wheelbase this long, (normal by todays standards) the numbers are there! You just have to weld them into place Smile

I see, that may be the easiest way to do it concerning slackery; maybe not so easy with the bottom bracket but definitely doable. I'll be watching you sir just in case you get the courage to knife on that sexy bike.

I on the other hand am in the talks on having someone refit a 44mm headtube on my SR8, maybe also to slacken it a bit while they're at it. I wonder if anyone else has done this on a link?

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 at 7:11 Quote
Making new dog bone links to achieve the same would be easier. Same net problem of long chain stays though :-(
Angle set and offset Bushes easier still. Get you a couple of degress slacker, poofteenth lower.

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 at 9:07 Quote
Making new dog bones is definitely not easier than welding on a new shock mount, or as cheap! Smile

I already have a Works Components 1' angled headset in it Smile

Also, the Avy shock uses 11.1mm bushes, the maximum offset you'll ever get with them is 1mm, so 2mm drop with one at each end, that will amount to less half a degree...... For £40..... But i'll probably still get some Smile

The bottom line is i think it's all well and good lowering it and achieving a more favourable HA, but then the BB has swung forward somewhat too. The problem is both massive and ever increasing chain stay length (18 inches static!) but just as importantly, the reach, moving the BB shell will enable me to lower the COG, shorten the stays AND increase the reach, this is for me the most important thing Smile

The result would be a 63.5' head angle, 47" wheelbase and i can put the BB wherever i blooming well like Smile like 16" stays and 13" BB height, and the reach of a large sized bike Wink

Realistically the BB position would be dictated by the left hand chain length, which in turn is determined by the size of chain ring used, as it is currently with the eccentric BB shell. 1, 3 and 5 o'clock positions are available by using 28T, 27T and 26T respectively, I'm running a 26T sprocket to achieve the lowest BB height, but now my gearing is a little too low, so i'd aim at using for instance a 30T ring, add a link, or a link and a half, or half a link, or whatever, set it in the 1 o'clock position at around 13.75" BB height. The final stay length and exact BB height will be the optimum attainable position with a given chain length and sprocket size pivoting around the jack shaft. Once in position, i would still have 3/4 of an inch to play with smaller sprockets to lower it further using the eccentric BB shell whilst still having usable gearing,

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 7:32 Quote
deadmeat25 wrote:
Making new dog bones is definitely not easier than welding on a new shock mount, or as cheap! Smile

I already have a Works Components 1' angled headset in it Smile

Also, the Avy shock uses 11.1mm bushes, the maximum offset you'll ever get with them is 1mm, so 2mm drop with one at each end, that will amount to less half a degree...... For £40..... But i'll probably still get some Smile

The bottom line is i think it's all well and good lowering it and achieving a more favourable HA, but then the BB has swung forward somewhat too. The problem is both massive and ever increasing chain stay length (18 inches static!) but just as importantly, the reach, moving the BB shell will enable me to lower the COG, shorten the stays AND increase the reach, this is for me the most important thing Smile

The result would be a 63.5' head angle, 47" wheelbase and i can put the BB wherever i blooming well like Smile like 16" stays and 13" BB height, and the reach of a large sized bike Wink

Realistically the BB position would be dictated by the left hand chain length, which in turn is determined by the size of chain ring used, as it is currently with the eccentric BB shell. 1, 3 and 5 o'clock positions are available by using 28T, 27T and 26T respectively, I'm running a 26T sprocket to achieve the lowest BB height, but now my gearing is a little too low, so i'd aim at using for instance a 30T ring, add a link, or a link and a half, or half a link, or whatever, set it in the 1 o'clock position at around 13.75" BB height. The final stay length and exact BB height will be the optimum attainable position with a given chain length and sprocket size pivoting around the jack shaft. Once in position, i would still have 3/4 of an inch to play with smaller sprockets to lower it further using the eccentric BB shell whilst still having usable gearing,

TAKE THAT SAW TO YOUR NECK !!!!!!!! its an endangered species goddammit!!

Posted: Jul 30, 2015 at 0:40 Quote
I know I know! But it's an endangered species with a very high bottom bracket! Smile

Posted: Sep 7, 2015 at 4:34 Quote
deadmeat25 wrote:
I know I know! But it's an endangered species with a very high bottom bracket! Smile
chop the Bb ;-). You can't really get the chain stays modern short though due to their design.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013111
Mobile Version of Website