Devinci Spartan 29 with angleset headset

PB Forum :: Devinci
Devinci Spartan 29 with angleset headset
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 23:01 Quote
I had a chance to demo a Spartan 29 for two days and after said demo I was impressed by both its climbing and descending prowess. My decision was to then follow through and sell my Intense Carbine frame and after that, swap my parts kit to a Spartan 29 frame with a change of a couple things to then work with the Devinci frame. My quick resolution to a couple of the drawbacks (in my opinion) of the Spartan and to make up for it. I came to the solution to install a 2 degree angleset headset from the UK company Works which I have used now on two previous frames and thoroughly enjoy the results.

Using information from Works and from other sources. I came up with the geometry for the Spartan 29 with a 2 degree angleset headset, and a 180mm fork. Here is the geometry below.

Headtube angle – 62.6 degrees
Seattube angle – 76.15 degrees
Top Tube Length – 616mm
Reach – 460mm
Chainstay Length – 432mm
Wheelbase Length – 1260mm
Bottom bracket height – 340mm
Standover Height – 755mm
Stack – 655mm
Headtube Length – 115mm
Seattube Length – 460mm

Components List
Rockshox Lyrik RC2 180mm airshaft 42mm offset
Rockshox Super Deluxe RC2 rear shock
ENVE HDH Handlebars
ENVE M930 29" Rims
TRP Quadiem G-Spec brake set with 203mm rotors
150mm Rockshox Reverb with Wolf Tooth Sustain kit
Deity Copperhead 50mm stem with 10mm spacer underneath
Deity Knuckleduster grips
Deity saddle
HT X2 pedals
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5" DH tires front and rear

Opinion, input, anyone?

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 9:20 Quote
Show us some pictures of the beast.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 10:21 Quote
“The Beast” is in the making.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 23:09 Quote
I would swap the 150mm Reverb for a non-hydraulic 170 seat post.
I tested the 29-Spartan in really steep conditions based on that will go for a 170-er.
But that might also depend on your leg length.

Posted: Apr 26, 2019 at 6:13 Quote
Seatpost was 150mm that I tested and I had it slammed into the frame. I’m only 5’8 and it felt spot on.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 16:49 Quote
any update? thinking about a similar set up. my original intention was to put an angle and 160mm fork on my troy 29er but ive since decided to follow your path as the 140mm rear travel is slightly short for my riding areas now. super interested in this! i was thinking 180mm air shaft in the lyric with a 1 degree slacker heaset. how do you find the ride with the 2 degree slacker setup?

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
You've essentially created a Pole or Nicolai. Bit extreme for some folks' taste, but others love 'em. Could be good if your trails are sufficiently fast and open to make the stability feel like a good thing, rather than cumbersome. One significant difference is the ratio of front-centre to rear-centre. If it was my project, I would use 37 mm offset uppers (pretty sure they're compatible with the 29" lowers) and a less slack head angle. This would give you the same stability via trail without so much length.

You'll want short cranks; I'm thinking 165 mm. BB height is toward the low end of the spectrum, once you account for some compression. Consider removing all volume reducers from the positive spring and running a bit less sag: you'll still be able to access full travel, but the bike will sit higher throughout the range of travel in which you might be pedaling.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 21:33 Quote
NoahKavanagh wrote:
any update? thinking about a similar set up. my original intention was to put an angle and 160mm fork on my troy 29er but ive since decided to follow your path as the 140mm rear travel is slightly short for my riding areas now. super interested in this! i was thinking 180mm air shaft in the lyric with a 1 degree slacker heaset. how do you find the ride with the 2 degree slacker setup?

I'm on the Shore and running my Troy 29 with the fork at 170, which feels great and puts the head angle around 65. I am considering a 1 degree angle adjust headset to get the head angle to 64, which I think might give a touch more high speed stability without killing the bike's responsiveness.

Edit: I ordered a 1.5 degree Works angleset. I am thinking that the more traditional head angles don't play well with short offset forks (mine is the GX Ltd., which came with a 42 mm offset Lyrik). The front wheel feels more tucked under than I'd like. I think the angleset will help get the front wheel farther out in front. 63.5 head angle, here I come!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004894
Mobile Version of Website