Issue with brand new Fox float X2 2019

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Issue with brand new Fox float X2 2019
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 23:19 Quote
dansunter wrote:
Mine was leaking from the negative air chamber only. I figured this out when I noticed that it wouldn't lose any air until it was compressed and air filled the negative chamber. Then it would lose 30psi and get super stiff if left alone. My local shop sent it to Fox with a detailed description of what was going on. I believe they replaced the negative seal head assembly. Problem solved.
what assy are you talking about ?
https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=864
https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=864

And what exactly was changed/swaped? Some o-ring ? Q-ring 035-01-008?

Thanks!!

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 9:39 Quote
My 21 is doing same thing. Rode fine...went to ride again and it was super stiff...bouncing on it free's it up but rebound is insane. Also lost 100psi. No leaks visible with water test.

Emptied slow, refilled/cycling every 30-50 psi twice and acts ok but if it sits a few hours its locked up again.

Sent in to Fox locked up...they just called and said its acting totally normal. Told em to keep it over the weekend and check it again monday. I dont get it....

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 13:11 Quote
I'm having this issue as well. However, when i have my shockwiz on the rear shock and pump through that it holds all pressure when i disconnect pump, then when i take shockwiz off and pump directly it looses 50 psi minimum after disconnecting pump! Driving me nuts. any ideas? thought it might be valve issue

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 12:20 Quote
Just an update...I got shock back from Fox 2nd time. Put it on bike and its like there is NO rebound even full closed its like a pogo stick. Going back to fox for 3rd time. This is getting old glad I have a coil too.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 18:36 Quote
I haven’t gone through all these posts yet but what is fox doing about this issue? I have a 2021 specialized enduro with a fox float x2 and I thought I was losing my mind because I know I keep setting it around 175-180psi and it goes right back to 150psi after one big compression.

Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 4:55 Quote
snatchclown wrote:
I haven’t gone through all these posts yet but what is fox doing about this issue? I have a 2021 specialized enduro with a fox float x2 and I thought I was losing my mind because I know I keep setting it around 175-180psi and it goes right back to 150psi after one big compression.

What is Fox doing? They're taking your money. It's what they do Wink

If you're dropping can pressure you either have air burping past the main shaft seal into the oil and thus dropping can pressure, or it's leaking out past the wiper or the can O-rings into the atmosphere. If the pressure's dropping, the air has to be going SOMEWHERE. It doesn't just cease to exist.

If I was gonna make a bet, I'd bet on the main shaft seal. 2021 X2 IFP pressure is a measly 100psi. Can pressures run a lot higher than that, especially when the shock is compressed. Fox has been steadily lowering IFP pressure on X2 through the years. They used to be 150, then 125, now 100. The bigger the differential between can and IFP pressure, the faster the damper oil gets contaminated with air bubbles. The faster that happens, the shorter the service interval gets. The shorter the service interval, the more money Fox makes.

Does it make sense now?

If your shock was in my shop I'd suggest changing the oil, replacing the main shaft seal and raising the IFP pressure to 150-175 psi.

I've done exactly one (1) 2021 X2 so far. It was a few months ago. Apparently it's fine because the customer hasn't complained and I know he would if there was a problem. Not a large sample size, I know, but I didn't see anything in that shock that looked likeley to cause the issues everyone's describing. I really think it's low IFP pressure.

Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 5:34 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
d raising the IFP pressure to 150-175 psi.
so, do I get it right:
in official Fox manual it says 125 psi MAX, but you say even 175, right ?..

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=682

Step 30

Posted: Jan 30, 2022 at 5:02 Quote
ka81 wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:
d raising the IFP pressure to 150-175 psi.
so, do I get it right:
in official Fox manual it says 125 psi MAX, but you say even 175, right ?..

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=682

Step 30

I can't say with complete confidence yet that that's the answer, but I've run a couple up higher and I'm not getting complaints. FWIW, DPS runs on 500psi. I wouldn't try that with an X2, but I seriously doubt an extra 25-50 lb. above 125 is gonna turn one into a grenade.

If I could get a volunteer who was into tracking data I'd love to test this theory, but most of my customers just wanna ride their bikes, so I don't have hard numbers to quote regarding how much longer an X2 will or won't go before needing service at higher IFP pressures, just an inutitive guess based on what I've found with the X2s I've worked on.

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006729
Mobile Version of Website