My Tire Has A Wobble

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 20:36 Quote
Went out for a ride. Landed with a little lateral force and burped my tire a bit. Now it has a big wobble. Not the rim, it is straight. I thought it might just need to be re-seated but I took it off and re inflated with the same wobble. Did the tire lose structural integrity? Anyone had this happen?

Posted: Apr 26, 2019 at 7:22 Quote
Did the bead ping back on when you reinflated?

Posted: Apr 26, 2019 at 8:04 Quote
Yeah that can happen. Sometimes the bead cords will break. Was it an Aggressor?

Posted: Apr 26, 2019 at 8:44 Quote
you might have stretched the sidewall casing... I had a new tire like that... tried for few days to get it to air up evenly... no luck, talked to buddy at the shop, he couldn't help either... had to replace the tire... Had a very nice wiggle to it.

Posted: Apr 26, 2019 at 12:20 Quote
I rode plenty of tires with wobbles - until last season when 1 just blew off the rim, then I had to hike 3-4 miles back since It was so stretched out it wouldn’t even seal. Good thing I wasn’t 20 miles out. I tried everything - tube, zip ties, etc. Now I just replace them when it’s bad.

Posted: Apr 26, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
Maxis by any chance?

It's happened to me a few times. Basically the kevlar in the tyre bead ruffles up. You can fix it but it takes a while; imagine trying to thread an internal belt through the waistband of a pair of shorts. Work your way round the bead.

Posted: Apr 26, 2019 at 19:07 Quote
Tried three more times to re-seat the tire. Tired the rim, which wasn't really out of true. Spoke with my LBS - said I stretched the sidewall or something. Too low pressure and too much sideways force, which is exactly what happened.

And yes, it was an aggressor - how did you know!
What a shit feeling to throw away a Tire that was barely worn Frown

Other people have trouble with the aggressor? It was a 2.5, I suspect I am a bit to heavy for a 2.5 unless I run it with extra pressure.

Thanks for the responses

Posted: Apr 27, 2019 at 6:44 Quote
I destroyed a 2.3 Aggressor the same way and I've heard of other people having the bead break with the bike just sitting on the stand.

Posted: Apr 27, 2019 at 7:41 Quote
One of those things - you buy a $250 helmet, and then you crash next week, or you order a derailleur hanger than comes in a week late and then you break it the next day (should've ordered two...).

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014991
Mobile Version of Website