Which of the next short travel Trail/XC bikes would you choose?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Which of the next short travel Trail/XC bikes would you choose?
| Next Page
Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 19:48 Quote
alexdesignz wrote:
What about a Santa Cruz Tallboy? Buy the 27.5+ and get a set of 29ers for it. It does both so you get 2 bikes...

I was thinking the 5010 would be a better choice taking into account uphill and downhill.. how does the tallboy compares to the 5010?

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 20:26 Quote
I'd describe the Tallboy as the big-wheeled 5010 - short travel trail 29er.

I bet it gets a new version this summer though.

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 21:49 Quote
Wkramer510 wrote:
HopeFbn wrote:
Hello guys,
I am thinking on getting a new bike, but I want to hit the spot between my All Mountain bike and my XC bike.
(Trek Remedy 2019 and Trek X Caliber 2019).

These are the option I have seen so far:

GT sensor HA 65.5 130mm / 130mm 29er
Evil The Following MB HA 66.8 120mm / 130mm 29er or 27.5+
Pivot TRAIL429 HA 66.70 120mm / 130mm 29er or 27.5+
Santa Cruz 5010 HA 66.2 130mm / 130mm 27.5+
Yeti SB100 HA 67.8 100mm / 120mm 29er
Yeti SB5 HA66.5 135mm / 150mm 27.5

Which one would you recommend? Why? Any experiences with Customer Service?

The one big difference I saw between them was the Pivot having a Super Boost Plus rear axle (157mm).

The idea is getting a carbon frame with a GX or X01 build.

(HA = Headtube Angle)

Thanks for your valuable help!.

The evil or santa cruz. Some dude on a 5010 won sea otter Dh and the evils are sick. both climb and descend good.

I got 2nd on a 5010 at this year's Sea Otter DH. In my opinion, it's damn near the perfect bike for that course.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 8:45 Quote
seanondemand wrote:
I'd describe the Tallboy as the big-wheeled 5010 - short travel trail 29er.

I bet it gets a new version this summer though.

I see, actually it makes sense since it has bigger wheels, but I don't know if it's more like a race bike than a playful one. But I get it, I will put it in my "bikes that you fogot to consider".

Thanks!

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 16:23 Quote
HopeFbn wrote:
alexdesignz wrote:
What about a Santa Cruz Tallboy? Buy the 27.5+ and get a set of 29ers for it. It does both so you get 2 bikes...

I was thinking the 5010 would be a better choice taking into account uphill and downhill.. how does the tallboy compares to the 5010?

2 of my friends fly up hill and bomb down... They love them....

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 11:39 Quote
I love my version 2 2018 5010. Absolutely love it. I went with the Aluminum S build but have upgraded all over the place. Bar, brakes, new wheelset is coming in next week. I also put a 140mm spring in the fork. I wish I had taken the time to test some 29ers before I bought, but I have no regrets. I was just looking at the SB130 and that just might be my perfect bike. SC is well known for their customer service as well. Honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. Buying blind is never easy. Good luck!

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
The just released and all new IBIS RIPLEY is probably the perfect bike for you to consider now. Fast, fun, playful and capable like the Pivot 429 Trail and Evil Following. Playful and poppy like the 5010. Can run it as 29er or 27 plus. And the new geometry on it looks dialed.
Check out MTB YumYum review of it on youtube. He thinks its as fast or faster than the Yeti 100, as capable as the Yeti 130, and more fun than the Trail 429.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 10:41 Quote
lucythefin wrote:
The just released and all new IBIS RIPLEY is probably the perfect bike for you to consider now. Fast, fun, playful and capable like the Pivot 429 Trail and Evil Following. Playful and poppy like the 5010. Can run it as 29er or 27 plus. And the new geometry on it looks dialed.
Check out MTB YumYum review of it on youtube. He thinks its as fast or faster than the Yeti 100, as capable as the Yeti 130, and more fun than the Trail 429.

Hahaha, I am watching that very video just before viewing your reply..

Yeah, it does look like a good match on what I am looking for, I will give it a deep review and see what IBIS is offering with this bike.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 10:41 Quote
pedalsmasher wrote:
I love my version 2 2018 5010. Absolutely love it. I went with the Aluminum S build but have upgraded all over the place. Bar, brakes, new wheelset is coming in next week. I also put a 140mm spring in the fork. I wish I had taken the time to test some 29ers before I bought, but I have no regrets. I was just looking at the SB130 and that just might be my perfect bike. SC is well known for their customer service as well. Honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. Buying blind is never easy. Good luck!

Thanks! I hope to get all the luck on my side on this choice, since is kind of a lot of money to pay for a blind choice :p.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 15:03 Quote
What’s the difference between a carbon 5010 frame on a factory build and the frame deal race CC, it almost seems like better buy a full bike and sell the parts £3000 basically frame with shock. I don’t need a whole bike, but this does seem a stretch two to far with price, for just a frame I’m struggling to see why it should cost that much. It would be replacing my NS Snabb T that has been a great bike (bought a frame only and I’m sure as with most NS for about 1/3 of rrp), that really I could just replace all the bearings on and keep using.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 19:19 Quote
I’m buying an aluminum 2020 5010 as my next bike for sure. I have been putting it off for way too long. I have ridden the older and newer Tallboys, and they are great bikes, but I dont really like bigger wheels personally.

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 at 13:45 Quote
alexdesignz wrote:
HopeFbn wrote:
alexdesignz wrote:

I just bought a 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy C XE build (29er). I replaced a Norco 2017 Torrent FS 7.1.

The Norco was fun, but SLOW. It inspired confidence in anything rough with the plus size tires, and descending was a blast....but when it came to plain and simple spinning...I found it sluggish, and hard to keep momentum.

I've only got a handful of rides on the new Tallboy, but man oh man...does it go fast, and climbs amazingly. Despite the fact that it has considerable less travel than my Norco did, I find it way more fun. I feel the trail more, and it handles so good. My only negative comment so far is that I am pedal striking more on my Tallboy than I ever did with the Norco. I'll have to get used to that.

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 8:02 Quote
Excellent input!,
The tallboy surely looks like a good contender for this purpose.
What you guys think about the new Trek Top Fuel? should be considered here?.

MurShane wrote:
alexdesignz wrote:
HopeFbn wrote:

I just bought a 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy C XE build (29er). I replaced a Norco 2017 Torrent FS 7.1.

The Norco was fun, but SLOW. It inspired confidence in anything rough with the plus size tires, and descending was a blast....but when it came to plain and simple spinning...I found it sluggish, and hard to keep momentum.

I've only got a handful of rides on the new Tallboy, but man oh man...does it go fast, and climbs amazingly. Despite the fact that it has considerable less travel than my Norco did, I find it way more fun. I feel the trail more, and it handles so good. My only negative comment so far is that I am pedal striking more on my Tallboy than I ever did with the Norco. I'll have to get used to that.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017206
Mobile Version of Website