XT vs SLX vs Deore vs Alivio

PB Forum :: Shimano
XT vs SLX vs Deore vs Alivio
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 27, 2019 at 10:22 Quote
I loved my XT M785 XT brakes I had on my last ride.

I see shimano continues to trickle down their tech. I’d like to get some new brakes but what can you guys teach me about the different levels of cost vs performance?

The Deores are getting a lot of love. I only want single piston, also. The Alivios I may put on a super simple hardtail project soon which is the only reason I asked about them at all.

What do you guys like? Obviously XT are nice but pricey!

Thanks!

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 5:53 Quote
Slowgoat wrote:
I loved my XT M785 XT brakes I had on my last ride.

I see shimano continues to trickle down their tech. I’d like to get some new brakes but what can you guys teach me about the different levels of cost vs performance?

The Deores are getting a lot of love. I only want single piston, also. The Alivios I may put on a super simple hardtail project soon which is the only reason I asked about them at all.

What do you guys like? Obviously XT are nice but pricey!

Thanks!
I would recommend SLX or Deore.
XTR = Pro Racer
XT = Skilled Rider
SLX = The technology of XT with the price of Deore
Deore = Good for most low to medium end bikes
Alivio = Entry level
SLX and XT brakes are almost identical (Apart from a few minor things)
You can also get these:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHIMANO-M315-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-Set-Front-Rear-RT56-Rotors-Disc-Brake-Set/131991801571?hash=item1ebb530ee3:m:m-k4yhpY9ThxdEQ-zK3NXcw

These have exceptional braking power for the price

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 4:54 Quote
I got XT on my "best" bike, and Deore/SLX on my hardtail.

I recently bought some XT brakes that were cheaper than SLX, so look out for deals.

One thing to be aware of is that SLX, XT are interchangeable. Deore has different hoses.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 6:00 Quote
You left out Saint. I’m no pro, but running a Saint shifter with XTR drivetrain. Got a good deal buying used, and now 5 year old and still shifts flawlessly and never needs tuning. XTR brakes also 5 years, and also flawless. I’m not sure if they are really any better than XT, but my bike came set up this way and why I bought it. The bad thing is my next bike will cost me a bunch because now I want the top end components.

To save $$, a Saint shifter, XTR derailleur, XT cassette and brakes are a great choice. My problem is I will want the XTR cassette on my next bike.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015144
Mobile Version of Website