New to dirt jumps, little help

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
New to dirt jumps, little help
| Next Page
Posted: May 10, 2019 at 16:03 Quote
walkingtall76 wrote:
KeyScales wrote:
LandonSchuess wrote:
Hi, I am rather new to the world of dirt jumps and mountain biking in general, I bought this complete bike end of last year for the spec for the price... http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/dirt-jumper-dj-adult-bmx-bikes/cojones-pro-dirtjump-dj-bikes.htm#specs

So far bike has been awesome, getting to the point of being ready to upgrade a few things, wondering if someone could point me to a good reasonably priced bottom bracket, and new chainring, rear sprocket thinking 30t up front and potentially some lighter mtb cranks? Let me know what you would go with! Thank you!

So what I would suggest is instead of trying to understand all of the sizing things and blowing your brain up, head over to your local bike shop and have them hook you up. I would recommend getting a sealed bottom bracket (if that exists in the world of dirt jumpers) as the ones with the cones are not as efficient. You should be spending between 20 - 40 on the bottom bracket.

You definitely need new cranks though. Dang those things are ugly.

Good to see that youre giving advice when you don't even know if sealed BB "exist in the world of dirt jumpers"
Solid contribution- useless advice- well done

Yea I considered just going to the shop and having them hook me up, but then I get no knowledge out of any of this money I’ll be spending, just a bit better components. Maybe not quite as much as riding but I do like working on my bike too! Just figured doing it this way would pay off a bit more in the long run, not to mention we don’t even have a bmx shop, and all the bike shops are HEAVILY road bike oriented... so I’d rather just do what I can to understand it rather than take it and pay someone who probably doesn’t understand it much more than me anyway.. anywhooooo I got everything ordered and it’s gonna be arriving throughout next week, thanks so much for the help fellas and I’ll post some pics of the updated setup

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 17:34 Quote
LandonSchuess wrote:
walkingtall76 wrote:
KeyScales wrote:

So what I would suggest is instead of trying to understand all of the sizing things and blowing your brain up, head over to your local bike shop and have them hook you up. I would recommend getting a sealed bottom bracket (if that exists in the world of dirt jumpers) as the ones with the cones are not as efficient. You should be spending between 20 - 40 on the bottom bracket.

You definitely need new cranks though. Dang those things are ugly.

Good to see that youre giving advice when you don't even know if sealed BB "exist in the world of dirt jumpers"

Yea I considered just going to the shop and having them hook me up, but then I get no knowledge out of any of this money I’ll be spending, just a bit better components. Maybe not quite as much as riding but I do like working on my bike too! Just figured doing it this way would pay off a bit more in the long run, not to mention we don’t even have a bmx shop, and all the bike shops are HEAVILY road bike oriented... so I’d rather just do what I can to understand it rather than take it and pay someone who probably doesn’t understand it much more than me anyway.. anywhooooo I got everything ordered and it’s gonna be arriving throughout next week, thanks so much for the help fellas and I’ll post some pics of the updated setup

Great, nothing better than working on your own bike to learn new stuff! If you ride it- you should be able to fix it. Any advice you need when your parts come in, just hit me up for help... no problem.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 12:38 Quote
walkingtall76 wrote:
LandonSchuess wrote:
walkingtall76 wrote:

Great, nothing better than working on your own bike to learn new stuff! If you ride it- you should be able to fix it. Any advice you need when your parts come in, just hit me up for help... no problem.

Obviously, you have no idea how to work on a bike. First of all, you need specific tools to extract as well as insert a bottom bracket. The whole world doesn't live in first class, and tools are expensive. Also, if you incorrectly insert the bottom bracket, it will cause permanent damage to the threads in the bottom bracket which means you will have to spend a whole lot more money on a new frame, instead of paying the money to go to your local bike shop and watching them and asking questions, so you know what to do next time. I obviously know a lot more about bikes than you do so back off walkingtall76

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 12:46 Quote
KeyScales wrote:
walkingtall76 wrote:
LandonSchuess wrote:

Obviously, you have no idea how to work on a bike. First of all, you need specific tools to extract as well as insert a bottom bracket. The whole world doesn't live in first class, and tools are expensive. Also, if you incorrectly insert the bottom bracket, it will cause permanent damage to the threads in the bottom bracket which means you will have to spend a whole lot more money on a new frame, instead of paying the money to go to your local bike shop and watching them and asking questions, so you know what to do next time. I obviously know a lot more about bikes than you do so back off walkingtall76

Lol...

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 4:47 Quote
KeyScales wrote:
no u

Mate- what are you like 6? You offered the poor kid absolutely no advice except a smart- ass response, then proceeded in telling him you have no idea if "in the world of dirt jumpers they even have sealed BB" - idiot. If he wants to do stuff himself then let him learn. He seems far more postive about taking the initiative in things than you. Let him enjoy what makes him happy...

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 14:22 Quote
walkingtall76 wrote:
KeyScales wrote:
no u

Mate- what are you like 6? You offered the poor kid absolutely no advice except a smart- ass response, then proceeded in telling him you have no idea if "in the world of dirt jumpers they even have sealed BB" - idiot. If he wants to do stuff himself then let him learn. He seems far more postive about taking the initiative in things than you. Let him enjoy what makes him happy...

Can you tell that I'm trying to lighten up the situation and repare the damage of your nastiness to my well intended comment. The information I gave the guy was perfectly sound. All I was saying is I'm not sure if sealed bottom brackets are a thing for dirt jumpers. Whats wrong with that? And yet you had to respond with a nasty comment about how "helpful" my comment was when you just could have kept your sorry mouth shut. Go be a miserable person somewhere else and get out of my business please and thank you

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 6:44 Quote
Well this took a turn

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 6:46 Quote
Any way I am thinking of ordering one of these cheap dj bikes from bikes direct and this is very helpful info. Planning on doing some nice bmx cranks and some nice wheels/hubs. Also will probably do stem and bars.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006010
Mobile Version of Website