Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 16:29 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
I do alot of uphill (often riding 1000-2000m in a single ride, sometimes more). I have assagai front and rear and I won't be going back to minions anytime soon.

That's quite the endorsement! What compound are you running - the Maxx Terra or the Maxx grip? Looks like I'll be getting the assagai

Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 23:45 Quote
Assegai is a slow tyre, good as a front tyre and not the best option for rear (Disector is much better).

Posted: Jun 19, 2020 at 7:17 Quote
Yekrut wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
I do alot of uphill (often riding 1000-2000m in a single ride, sometimes more). I have assagai front and rear and I won't be going back to minions anytime soon.

That's quite the endorsement! What compound are you running - the Maxx Terra or the Maxx grip? Looks like I'll be getting the assagai

I'm running the Maxx Terra (as I bought 10 from TBS bikes when they were dirt cheap and they didnt have maxx grip). In my typical riding terrain maxx terra is fine, but in the winter months maxx grip is definitely the better option.

mloncar wrote:
Assegai is a slow tyre, good as a front tyre and not the best option for rear (Disector is much better).

I have heard the Dissector is a faster rolling tread. However, the reality is rolling speed really has more to do with casing choice and tread compound than tread pattern.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-Gear-Show-Maxxis-Tire-Rolling-Experiment-New-Bikes-Tech-amp-More,2805

If you want all our grip front and rear, the Assagai is a great option front and rear. It is really a matter of personal preference.

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 8:36 Quote
Hi looking for a bit of advice, thinking of buying a megatower frame but a bit concerned with the reports of harshness. I cant demo the bike because of the virus which is a bit awkward as my Slash frame is cracked and I need a new frame asap. I see Cascade do a link which reduces the about of compression which Santa Cruz tuned into it, anyone running one and care to comment? Another thing is I have a Fox X2 of my Slash that is the correct size 230 by 57.5mm, anyone running a X2 on the megatower, does it even fit? Cheers

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 9:15 Quote
slow66 wrote:
Hi looking for a bit of advice, thinking of buying a megatower frame but a bit concerned with the reports of harshness. I cant demo the bike because of the virus which is a bit awkward as my Slash frame is cracked and I need a new frame asap. I see Cascade do a link which reduces the about of compression which Santa Cruz tuned into it, anyone running one and care to comment? Another thing is I have a Fox X2 of my Slash that is the correct size 230 by 57.5mm, anyone running a X2 on the megatower, does it even fit? Cheers

Here's my take on the harshness aspect of the Mega. IMO if you're over ~170 lbs, you'll be fine. That or buy it with the coil, OR your X2 will also work great, and yes it will fit. The cascade link also raises the leverage ratio so that it is more suited for the stock compression tune of the super deluxe if you're still having problems. The issue is a pretty small subset of people buying the bike, it's smaller/lighter riders that buy the stock Super Deluxe air shock and prefer low levels of compresssion damping, and given you have another shock, will likely be absolutely no issue. Send it!

https://mtbsr.com/santa-cruz-megatower/

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 9:41 Quote
I am 210 lbs and never noticed excessive harshness when I demoed the megatower with the air shock. Also demoed it with a coil and it felt a bit more supple without any perceived drawbacks (loss of pop, feeling dead, etc.). Ended up buying with the coil. If it wasn't such a progressive suspension design I definitely wouldn't have gone with the coil. Really happy with the suppleness of the coil combined with the progressiveness of the suspension design.

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 9:54 Quote
I'm 145 lbs and resolved the harshness by adding a gnar (2.5) token to the super deluxe. It is now more supple at the top and resists bottoming better with the same relatively low rear shock pressures I was running without the token.

I will also add that at speed I feel this bike never had any harshness, only at lower speeds. This bike likes to move fast and really works well once opened up.

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 10:22 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
I'm 145 lbs and resolved the harshness by adding a gnar (2.5) token to the super deluxe. It is now more supple at the top and resists bottoming better with the same relatively low rear shock pressures I was running without the token.

I will also add that at speed I feel this bike never had any harshness, only at lower speeds. This bike likes to move fast and really works well once opened up.

So so true, speed makes this suspension feel great.

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 10:28 Quote
I second that it can feel a bit harsh if you are not charging, this bike feels better the faster you go. It also rewards a centred riding position. I find that it isn’t very fun some times but then just re-evaluate how I’m riding that day, once I engage and start to push the bike a bit more then it comes alive and is a blast.

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
pevensey wrote:
I second that it can feel a bit harsh if you are not charging, this bike feels better the faster you go. It also rewards a centred riding position. I find that it isn’t very fun some times but then just re-evaluate how I’m riding that day, once I engage and start to push the bike a bit more then it comes alive and is a blast.

Yip, couldn’t of said it any better. I found setting it up took a little longer than other bikes. Currently running it with a Megneg and really liking how that has improved things for me. But the bike does come alive when you push yourself that little bit further.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 7:38 Quote
sharpy182 wrote:
pevensey wrote:

Yip, couldn’t of said it any better. I found setting it up took a little longer than other bikes. Currently running it with a Megneg and really liking how that has improved things for me. But the bike does come alive when you push yourself that little bit further.

Thats the same as what I feel with this bike. I am 150 lbs. I guess lots of people are demoing or buying this bike with the expectation to get a superplush suspension feeling, but in the stock configuration it is really tuned for speed. remember, comfortable isnt always fast and this bike is meant to go fast.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 21:34 Quote
Anyone had issues with rear flip chip set screw always coming loose? Been lock titing it and still comes loose after a week. Set screw has put a small hole in carbon now. Waiting on updated skinnier flip chip but worried that set screw is going to do more damage to carbon.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 1:06 Quote
Hi everyone I'm looking for some information. I've got Galfer 203 mm floating rotors front and rear.
I'm going to be buying hope V4s and put on the mega. I've sorted out the caliper mount for the front a HBMH. Now for the rear of bike in long chain stay mode what I'm I looking for. Do I use the Santa Cruz provided mount?

Cheers

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 6:54 Quote
Lowellrich wrote:
Anyone had issues with rear flip chip set screw always coming loose? Been lock titing it and still comes loose after a week. Set screw has put a small hole in carbon now. Waiting on updated skinnier flip chip but worried that set screw is going to do more damage to carbon.

The set screw getting loose isnt too much of an issue. all the screw does is keep the flipchip from falling out while removing the wheel. no need to tighten it up too mich. get the slimmer flipchip and everything is fine

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 7:42 Quote
I had no idea the slimmer flip chip was a thing. Looks like I'll be talking to my lbs.
Also I think I've been having some cable rattle in the rear triangle recently and thinking of wrapping where it enters the rear triangle in some vacuum hose or something of the sort as seen earlier in the thread. Fingers crossed it solves the rattle!

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008242
Mobile Version of Website