Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Author Message
Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 11:50 Quote
chrisrobin wrote:
krumpdancer101 wrote:
Yea I have a Push 11/6 and I have just learned it does not work with the Cascade link anyway so guess I might send in My super deluxe to Vorsprung to get tuned.

Unless you find a Fox spring to go on your 11-6.

Meh, I'd put the Cascade link money elsewhere.

No way on a fox coil. I honestly wasn’t even going to get the link. Buddy needed money so I got it for under $200. Toss it on the shelf I guess.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 12:29 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:
chrisrobin wrote:
krumpdancer101 wrote:
Yea I have a Push 11/6 and I have just learned it does not work with the Cascade link anyway so guess I might send in My super deluxe to Vorsprung to get tuned.

Unless you find a Fox spring to go on your 11-6.

Meh, I'd put the Cascade link money elsewhere.

No way on a fox coil. I honestly wasn’t even going to get the link. Buddy needed money so I got it for under $200. Toss it on the shelf I guess.

Damn I wish you learned this yesterday then I could have bought yours. I just hit order on mine last night.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 7:29 Quote
Does anybody know if the 2020 Megatower has internal tube in tube routing or am I going to shout relentlessly if I change my brakes?

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 7:44 Quote
dobsn wrote:
Does anybody know if the 2020 Megatower has internal tube in tube routing or am I going to shout relentlessly if I change my brakes?

Yeah it's tube in tube

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 7:39 Quote
Anyone experienced a knocking sounded from the Rockshox deluxe ultimate coil? just picked one up and fitted it, brand new. bit of a clunk under compression.. any ideas?

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 10:22 Quote
sharpy182 wrote:
Anyone experienced a knocking sounded from the Rockshox deluxe ultimate coil? just picked one up and fitted it, brand new. bit of a clunk under compression.. any ideas?

Check both shock bolts, then check that there is no play in the coil itself with the preload collar. If neither of those fix it, it may be internal and you have a problem, but I bet it's one of the two.

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 11:15 Quote
Yeah bolts both torqued to 16nm, and the preload was adjusted a couple different ways to try a settle it. did notice it got worse when I turn up the rebound speed.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 3:39 Quote
sharpy182 wrote:
Anyone experienced a knocking sounded from the Rockshox deluxe ultimate coil? just picked one up and fitted it, brand new. bit of a clunk under compression.. any ideas?

what year MT do you have? maybe its the shifting cable rattling inside the rear end.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 4:46 Quote
maxnomas wrote:
sharpy182 wrote:
Anyone experienced a knocking sounded from the Rockshox deluxe ultimate coil? just picked one up and fitted it, brand new. bit of a clunk under compression.. any ideas?

what year MT do you have? maybe its the shifting cable rattling inside the rear end.

2020...... I did think that also, had a air shock it on it before and the cables where never a issue. Going pull the spring itself of the shock tonight and cycle through the shock and see if it happens.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 7:02 Quote
sharpy182 wrote:
Anyone experienced a knocking sounded from the Rockshox deluxe ultimate coil? just picked one up and fitted it, brand new. bit of a clunk under compression.. any ideas?

Is it one single knocking sound during hard, quick compressions? Like if you seat bounced it really hard? If so I have that everyone once and a while whenever I take the spring off and put it back on. It almost seems like it is settling in and in goes away after awhile. Seems like the spring shifts enough to make a noise but then settles into its spot. I've found it goes away after awhile and doesn't seem to be causing any odd damage or rubbing (at least externally).

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 8:00 Quote
605endurbro wrote:
sharpy182 wrote:
Anyone experienced a knocking sounded from the Rockshox deluxe ultimate coil? just picked one up and fitted it, brand new. bit of a clunk under compression.. any ideas?

Is it one single knocking sound during hard, quick compressions? Like if you seat bounced it really hard? If so I have that everyone once and a while whenever I take the spring off and put it back on. It almost seems like it is settling in and in goes away after awhile. Seems like the spring shifts enough to make a noise but then settles into its spot. I've found it goes away after awhile and doesn't seem to be causing any odd damage or rubbing (at least externally).


Yes, that exactly it. maybe it is just needing run and bedded in. cheers to everyone for the help.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 14:13 Quote
sharpy182 wrote:
605endurbro wrote:
sharpy182 wrote:
Anyone experienced a knocking sounded from the Rockshox deluxe ultimate coil? just picked one up and fitted it, brand new. bit of a clunk under compression.. any ideas?

Is it one single knocking sound during hard, quick compressions? Like if you seat bounced it really hard? If so I have that everyone once and a while whenever I take the spring off and put it back on. It almost seems like it is settling in and in goes away after awhile. Seems like the spring shifts enough to make a noise but then settles into its spot. I've found it goes away after awhile and doesn't seem to be causing any odd damage or rubbing (at least externally).


Yes, that exactly it. maybe it is just needing run and bedded in. cheers to everyone for the help.

It annoyed the living hell out of me. I thought the coil was contacting the frame which scared the hell out of me but no marks on the frame or the coil, started really listening and figured out what it was finally.

Anyone else ever see this with other shocks?

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 15:29 Quote
I had that same occasional noise on the super deluxe that was on my nomad, but my mega hasn’t had the same noise.

Posted: Dec 15, 2020 at 17:18 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:
chrisrobin wrote:
krumpdancer101 wrote:
Anyone have any reviews of the cascade link using the stock size shock? Just wondering if it’s worth losing some bb height for the extended chain stay.

I have one. To be honest, I don't remember there being a huge night and day difference between the Cascade link and stock link. I had my Super Deluxe given the Tractive treatment by Vorsprung. That made more of a difference.

Yea I have a Push 11/6 and I have just learned it does not work with the Cascade link anyway so guess I might send in My super deluxe to Vorsprung to get tuned.

I have the cascade link with a RS ultimate coil 180mm. Never rode the stock setup since I built the bike with the cascade and 180.

Little insight on the mega I learned, the lower/rear bushing on the shock is apparently proprietary to Santa Cruz. So when I ordered the 180 I had to also have RS replace the shaft with the compatible eye/bushing. That mod was to the tune of $200 plus shipping.

I really wanted to max travel for my local trails so the money was worth it to me. On that topic, I also got a RS ZEB ultimate front shock in a 180 then had my local shop convert it to a 190. That was only $50 in parts plus a little bit of labor.

On the 180 rear shock-
As mentioned before I have no comparison to the stock setup but I can tell you this bike climbs like a goat. In the saddle I hardly get any movement on the rear shock and then get what’s expected when you come out of the saddle and start mashing the pedals.

So far I couldn’t be happier, it’s a great bike and I’m yet to have a single issue.

Posted: Dec 21, 2020 at 7:47 Quote
Hello All,
I am thinking of buying a Megatower. I ride enduro also race in the Bulgarian Enduro series, also really like to ride Bikeparks and also prefer shuttling. I was hoping if someone can share opinion whether Megatower is the ideal bike for me. Also looking in new Propain Spindrift though it is really more towards the DH bikes IMO. Any opinions are welcome and thanks in advance!


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005684
Mobile Version of Website