Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Author Message
Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
maxnomas wrote:
W64bitXW wrote:
rickyvic wrote:
I wouldn't use plus tyres they are not good for turns.
Plus they don't make tough casings for those.
If you like mullet use offset bushings and flip chip to raise BB. A 2.5 tyre in the back would work.
The original shock does not use bushings in the rear so use another shock, fox x2 best with bushings.
Measure up and see, a taller fork raises the bb too

Thanks man! But how flip chip and chainstay can raise the BB? Can you please add pictures?

There are two flip chips on the MT. The one on the shock bushing if you use it in the HI position, it will raise the BB a tiny bit. If you raise the fork it will also raise the BB another tiny bit. Do Both.

The flipchip on the rear axle will lengthen the chainstay but it will not raise the BB. I would also recommend using the bike in the long position.

Thank you! Now I understand what does it mean

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:
rickyvic wrote:
I wouldn't use plus tyres they are not good for turns.
Plus they don't make tough casings for those.

Both of these statements are incorrect. Sure I won’t race on them but have had DHF/DHR 2.8’s 120 tpi on my Hightower for years and have killed many berms and have many mtn days with lots of lava rock gardens. Still going strong.

I’ve never run any on a Megatower and I always see people talking shit about them but to be honest for trail riding it is one of the most adjustable tires due to the different air pressures you can run for the different sorts of feels you want and is just a fun tire.

I agree, I used to ride normal tires (27.5x2.5) on my GT Sanction in Ural Mountains and in Are Sweden and it was good, but plus tires much better if we are talking about rocky surface, they are not for racing, but they are awesome for fun riding. I don't want to switch back to normal size after plus

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 8:38 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
Even being off on where plus tires fit in on toughness spectrum... not sure why someone would want plus tires on a 160mm bike, especially don't understand why they'd buy one that doesn't fit plus tires.

29er frames usually fit plus tires (27.5) even Santa Cruz says it on their web site, but for HT, I don't know why they wrote about MT that it doesn't fit, that's why I asked hire, probably somebody tried it.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 7:35 Quote
Hey, everyone!
I am 5ft8in tall and ride a medium V3 Bronson. I'm thinking of selling it and moving on to a medium Megatower. Will I have any "credit card sweeping" issues because of my height?
Thanks in advance.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 9:39 Quote
I’d try both medium and large if you can and see what you prefer. I was boarder line between large and xl.. but preferred the bigger size. Just curious,but has anyone on here that rides a medium had problems with tyre buzz in the rear on the smaller frames?

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 10:24 Quote
local29 wrote:
Hey, everyone!
I am 5ft8in tall and ride a medium V3 Bronson. I'm thinking of selling it and moving on to a medium Megatower. Will I have any "credit card sweeping" issues because of my height?
Thanks in advance.

I'm 5'9'' and ride a medium. I have had the odd tyre buzz on my ass but only when riding really steep tracks. It doesn't happen anywhere near often enough to be an irritation.
I am considering going back to a 27.5 bike but not because of that. I had a Nomad before and it was definitely more fun for most of my riding.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 10:40 Quote
has anyone ever run a 27.5 set up on there mega. All the evil riders run 27 on the 29err wreckoning's

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 22:37 Quote
For those who ordered 2021 X01 build megatowers, I just received mine. I ordered in July, and they projected a march ship date last I heard. Nice surprise being over a month early!

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 21:46 Quote
iamtrashman wrote:
For those who ordered 2021 X01 build megatowers, I just received mine. I ordered in July, and they projected a march ship date last I heard. Nice surprise being over a month early!
Congrats dude! I ordered in January 2021 and delivery dates are open Frown

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 1:12 Quote
Picked up a medium MT frame on here and swapped everything over off my large Capra pro race 29er. I’m looking forward to see how this MT compares to my Capra on downhill as well as climbs. I did leave the fork at 170mm, I didn’t swap my X2 tho, the Capra is 230x65 but question for you guys is it possible to convert my X2 to a 230x60 and run it on the MT ???




Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 1:26 Quote
GOAT275 wrote:
Picked up a medium MT frame on here and swapped everything over off my large Capra pro race 29er. I’m looking forward to see how this MT compares to my Capra on downhill as well as climbs. I did leave the fork at 170mm, I didn’t swap my X2 tho, the Capra is 230x65 but question for you guys is it possible to convert my X2 to a 230x60 and run it on the MT ???

yes. all 230 shocks are 230 x 65 natively and reduced with spacers to 57 60 62

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 1:30 Quote
bikefuturist wrote:
GOAT275 wrote:
Picked up a medium MT frame on here and swapped everything over off my large Capra pro race 29er. I’m looking forward to see how this MT compares to my Capra on downhill as well as climbs. I did leave the fork at 170mm, I didn’t swap my X2 tho, the Capra is 230x65 but question for you guys is it possible to convert my X2 to a 230x60 and run it on the MT ???

yes. all 230 shocks are 230 x 65 natively and reduced with spacers to 57 60 62


Sorry I also meant to add on my post if it’s possible for it to be a straight up bolt in to the MT without any other mods. Being that I’m going from 57.5 to 60 ??

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 4:30 Quote
230x60 is no problem. That's how my DHX2 is configured.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 7:34 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
230x60 is no problem. That's how my DHX2 is configured.

No cascade link needed, straight swap bolt in and go ??

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 8:02 Quote
GOAT275 wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:
230x60 is no problem. That's how my DHX2 is configured.

No cascade link needed, straight swap bolt in and go ??

Correct.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006187
Mobile Version of Website