Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
| Next Page
Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 9:50 Quote
Cheers man

jeremy3220 wrote:
Granda wrote:
Does anyone know what fork offset the Megatower is designed around?

It comes with 44mm. They say to use either 42mm or 44mm.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 17:31 Quote
Long time lurker, finally got pushed over the edge to post by the frustration with the Megatower shock flip chip.

The way they designed the shock lower link flip chip is just ridiculous and there's zero information on Santa Cruz website or anywhere on how it's supposed to be removed.

I'm trying to go from lo to hi and there's no way in hell that that the chip bolt will come out.

The upper link shock bolt is removed and the flip chip "nut" on the drive side is out but the bolt is just spinning in place. Tried tapping it out, nothing.

I have no words to describe the frustration with this, absolutely ridiculous.

Help!

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 18:16 Quote
Sprung-1 wrote:
Long time lurker, finally got pushed over the edge to post by the frustration with the Megatower shock flip chip.

The way they designed the shock lower link flip chip is just ridiculous and there's zero information on Santa Cruz website or anywhere on how it's supposed to be removed.

I'm trying to go from lo to hi and there's no way in hell that that the chip bolt will come out.

The upper link shock bolt is removed and the flip chip "nut" on the drive side is out but the bolt is just spinning in place. Tried tapping it out, nothing.

I have no words to describe the frustration with this, absolutely ridiculous.

Help!

There have been a few issues with too much loctite applied at the factory, which would end up on the bolt shaft, locking it to the shock. This happened on my 2018 CC TB at the upper mount, which ended up cracking the frame and stripping the threads trying to get it off. SC warranty replaced the front triangle. Hopefully, this is not your issue, but sounds like it is a possibility.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 18:25 Quote
Thanks. I actually already removed the original shock and put the DHX2 in there.
It was difficult the first time but nothing like this.

I applied the blue Locktite and torqued to SC specs.

The bolt is completely loose and freely spinning but not coming out. The drive side flip chip is out.

There's nothing to grab it by and they designed the linkage so you can't access both sides at the same time. Ridic!

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 18:43 Quote
Sprung-1 wrote:
Thanks. I actually already removed the original shock and put the DHX2 in there.

The bolt is completely loose and freely spinning but not coming out. The drive side flip chip is out.

There's nothing to grab it by and they designed the linkage so you can't access both sides at the same time. Ridic!

well that sucks!

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 19:01 Quote
Sprung-1 wrote:

You have to get the bolt out before the drive side chip. The trick is to get something to wedge between the chip and frame. This keeps the chip in place so the bolt head will back out enough to get hold of. Then you can take the chips out.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 19:14 Quote
Great suggestion, thanks.

I wrapped a flat head screwdriver is soft cloth and wedged it in there to put the pressure on the drive side chip.

The bolt head came out just a tiny bit but still not out completely. Tried several times to no avail.

Puzzled as to why I can't tap it out?
It's just spinning in place....

Thanks all!

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 19:28 Quote
You're not putting enough pressure on the chip. You need something hard but non-marring. I use a plastic body panel removal tool. If you can keep the drive side chip in the place the bolt head will back out far enough to get purchase on it.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 22:30 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
You're not putting enough pressure on the chip. You need something hard but non-marring. I use a plastic body panel removal tool. If you can keep the drive side chip in the place the bolt head will back out far enough to get purchase on it.

I did what you suggested but the bolt came to the end of the thread and still wasn't showing enough to pull it out.

I eventually went back to tapping, a bit harder then I'd liked to but it finally came out.
Even tapping it out was hard since the bolt could hit the frame on the other side.

Sheesh, that's way harder than it should have been Santa Cruz, WTF?

Thanks all. Smile

Here she is.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 23:27 Quote
oh yeah this design sucks camel dick for that bolt. i don't know what they were thinking. with the nomad the nut is fully exposed. if they feature something like this it should be easily done on the fly. but its so annoying.
what i did and works fairly well. i put a spokes key or a tire lever (don't know if that's the correct expression) between the nut and frame on the drive side. then loosen the bolt with the allen key. to pull it out i had to bend the allen key in on direction(left right or up and down) and pull it at the same time. sorry for my english..i am german. i hope you know how i mean it. if you still have problems i can make a short video next week. now i am going to a 3 day enduro race.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 13:33 Quote
Thanks Fufi, I already tapped it out.

The thread alone wasn't enough to get it out.
I used an old Michelin plastic tire lever, which is flat and then wedged it in between the frame and a bolt with plastic brake pad spreaders I had laying around.

It's so bizarre that you can't access both sides at the same time.

SC either rushed it to the market too soon or they didn't think it thru properly.

It's puzzling that there's zero information about it in the manual or SC website.

All kind of info about the chainstay flip chip tho!

Weird

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 17:17 Quote

I agree the flip chip is way too difficult to change. My nomad was so much easier. Luckily I have no plans to change it out of the low setting.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 23:31 Quote
Austink wrote:

I agree the flip chip is way too difficult to change. My nomad was so much easier. Luckily I have no plans to change it out of the low setting.
i didn't plan it either. coming from downhill I always thought I'd stick with low, but when I tried Hi 2 weeks ago I was surprised how much fun the ride was on tighter flatter trails without sacrificing too much of stability in High speed chatter.
i ended up keeping it for a 3 day high alpine enduro race in switzerland.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 0:39 Quote
What's the official weights for mega tower frames?

Posted: Sep 1, 2019 at 5:26 Quote
I've just pulled the trigger on a Large Megatower Tower frame with the air shock, the idea being that I will take the Push ElevenSix of my Sentinel frame prior to selling and get it modified for use on the MT.
I'm looking to have this shock and a Stans Rims/DD tire (with inserts) for shuttling and bike park stuff and the air shock with a Enve M730/EXO tire combo for local AM stuff.
As above regarding weights, are there any real world builds similar to what I am planning and associated weights for reference?

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010925
Mobile Version of Website