Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 12:38 Quote
Those that are running a Push Elevensix on their Megatower, was there much setup to be done or fairly close out of the box? Does the shock come with a setup guide or anything, I thought there would be more info on the Push website but I’m not seeing much

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 13:19 Quote
mikebeeee wrote:
My dropper post housing is stuck in the frame. Reverb w/ hydraulic hose - can't push it in or pull it out from the front end, and can't pull it out from the post end. There's slack so I can pull the post up, but not enough to actually remove it from the seat tube, so I can't peek into the seat tube to see if anything looks weird. Post works fine, no problems, I'm just hunting for a weird new creaking(ish) noise and wanted to eliminate seat/post/hydraulic causes, and discovered this problem.

Anybody had this happen? If so, how'd you fix it?

Thanks,
Mike

Same thing happened to me as I was assembling my Megatower. I fought the cable for about 2 hours before taking it to my local shop. It took them another few hours and like 4 guys to get it out. Once they did get it out and a new cable installed it was fine.

I am running a 210mm OneUp v2 Dropper.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 13:55 Quote
Big-griff wrote:
Those that are running a Push Elevensix on their Megatower, was there much setup to be done or fairly close out of the box? Does the shock come with a setup guide or anything, I thought there would be more info on the Push website but I’m not seeing much

I got a Push for mine, and my final setup was very close to the settings they set. Given they have custom valving per bike, so it's valved to the MT, your weight, and riding style, they are able to get much much closer than a standard out of the box shock would provide. Assuming you buy direct from them or have them do a rebuild (that's what I did on a used shock). FYI my setting are as follows, I'm ~200lbs kitted on an XL Mega, usually ridden in low/long, pretty aggressive riding style to the best of my abilities, but I regularly ride black and double blacks and bike park trails.

All clicks from fully closed (closed is clockwise/right)
Spring: 500lb
Silver Plush Circuit
HSC: 12 clicks, 20 total
LSC: 11 clicks, 27 total
Black Firm Circuit
HSC: 8 clicks
LSC: 2 clicks
Rebound: 9 clicks

I don't recall what the original setup was, as I have tinkered with it since, but I'm sure I'm within 1-2 clicks on all of them, as I was impressed how well tuned it was when it showed up. If you don't know what you're doing or aren't confident in tuning your shock, the base tune will likely be very good depending on your personal preferences.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 14:37 Quote
mikebeeee wrote:
My dropper post housing is stuck in the frame. Reverb w/ hydraulic hose - can't push it in or pull it out from the front end, and can't pull it out from the post end. There's slack so I can pull the post up, but not enough to actually remove it from the seat tube, so I can't peek into the seat tube to see if anything looks weird. Post works fine, no problems, I'm just hunting for a weird new creaking(ish) noise and wanted to eliminate seat/post/hydraulic causes, and discovered this problem.

Thanks,
Mike
You can take the lever off the handlebar and it will give you a bit more wiggle room.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 19:03 Quote
Ardenjacoby wrote:
mikebeeee wrote:

Thanks,
Mike
You can take the lever off the handlebar and it will give you a bit more wiggle room.

Sounds good, thanks for the info, I’m on a XL too but 5-10lbs heavier. You find the 500lb spring alright? Have you tried any heavier springs? From what I can see, 210lbs they recommended 525 or 550lb spring.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 1:45 Quote
BH22 wrote:
mikebeeee wrote:

Thanks,
Mike

Same thing happened to me as I was assembling my Megatower. I fought the cable for about 2 hours before taking it to my local shop. It took them another few hours and like 4 guys to get it out. Once they did get it out and a new cable installed it was fine.

I am running a 210mm OneUp v2 Dropper.

Also had the same issue on mine after it had seen around 9 months of use - This was with a one up cable too which I believe is 1mm smaller in diameter than a reverb hose too. In the end I had to use mole grips and a LOT of force over a few days to pull the outer cable through - I found pushing and pulling seemed to work the best to get it to budge.

The cable routing around the shock is really tight anyway even when brand new, add some dirt in from general use and it's not ideal.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 6:59 Quote
Big-griff wrote:
Ardenjacoby wrote:
mikebeeee wrote:

Thanks,
Mike

Sounds good, thanks for the info, I’m on a XL too but 5-10lbs heavier. You find the 500lb spring alright? Have you tried any heavier springs? From what I can see, 210lbs they recommended 525 or 550lb spring.

Assuming you meant to reply to my post about the push shock. The 500lb has been great (also had a 500lb on my RS Super Deluxe Ult Coil before switching). I haven't tried anything heavier because I've never had any harsh bottom outs, and I'm 200 lbs on the high end, generally closer to 190 lbs. I'd just go with what they recommend, they have their setup dialed.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
tgent wrote:
Big-griff wrote:
Ardenjacoby wrote:

Assuming you meant to reply to my post about the push shock. The 500lb has been great (also had a 500lb on my RS Super Deluxe Ult Coil before switching). I haven't tried anything heavier because I've never had any harsh bottom outs, and I'm 200 lbs on the high end, generally closer to 190 lbs. I'd just go with what they recommend, they have their setup dialed.

Ya sorry, not too sure what happened with my reply there. I ordered mine through a Push dealer so I was just kinda wondering. When I contacted push they told me that I was in between a 525 & 550 spring. Dealer said they were going to discuss it with Push when they ordered it. So, not sure what I’ll end up with

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
Big-griff wrote:
tgent wrote:
Big-griff wrote:

Ya sorry, not too sure what happened with my reply there. I ordered mine through a Push dealer so I was just kinda wondering. When I contacted push they told me that I was in between a 525 & 550 spring. Dealer said they were going to discuss it with Push when they ordered it. So, not sure what I’ll end up with

You can't go wrong either way. Be honest with yourself and if you're an aggressive rider and regularly bike park/lift serviced type trails I'd probably side with the 550, if not 525 will prob be better. The MT is very progressive though so you could probably get away with a 525 regardless and have it be a bit more plush (though totally dependent on you and your riding). Good news too is the springs aren't too expensive and if you find you make the wrong decision, you can likely easily sell yours and buy a new one for minimal cost.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 13:54 Quote
tgent wrote:
Big-griff wrote:
tgent wrote:

You can't go wrong either way. Be honest with yourself and if you're an aggressive rider and regularly bike park/lift serviced type trails I'd probably side with the 550, if not 525 will prob be better. The MT is very progressive though so you could probably get away with a 525 regardless and have it be a bit more plush (though totally dependent on you and your riding). Good news too is the springs aren't too expensive and if you find you make the wrong decision, you can likely easily sell yours and buy a new one for minimal cost.

I’m running a 550lb on the RS super-deluxe @190-200lbs and I love it. I swapped out the 500lb that comes on the XL’s at the shop before I even picked it up based off SC’s spring rate to weight recommendations. I ride pretty aggressive jump trails and overall prefer a stiffer, more responsive set up. That being said I haven’t felt like I’ve sacrificed much in terms of traction or small bump on steeper, more technical trails either.

Posted: May 8, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
Has anyone mulleted a 2020 megatower cc. Looking for recommendations on what's the best way to go about. Has anyone also tried the cascade link for the megatower?

Posted: May 8, 2021 at 17:11 Quote
Maclucas1420 wrote:
Has anyone mulleted a 2020 megatower cc. Looking for recommendations on what's the best way to go about. Has anyone also tried the cascade link for the megatower?

I have the cascade link. It is great! I am running a coil and before was experiencing a bit of harsh bottom out even with the correct spring rate. The added progression has definitely helped to smooth it out. I also love how much less messy the sealed bearings are. It is all dust where I am so the old link had a bad habit of dust/grease getting all gunked up.

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 6:15 Quote
Hi,
Im running a size L mega. Long chainstays, hi flip-chip.

I cranked up the fork to 170mm and i´m not sure it was the best idea.. now I have less traction on the front wheel and the bike pedals less than before. Although for Dh is pretty good, I usually pedal 90% of the time and shuttle 10%.

Im thinking on going from 40mm stem to 50mm stem or going back to 160mm fork. What are the opinion of the people who have done the same?

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
Maclucas1420 wrote:

I wouldn't mullet it. The BB way will be waaaay to low even in the high flip chip position. If you run 165mm cranks and don't mind hitting your pedals a lot, I mean you can, but a 27.5 platform is a much better bike to mullet...

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
maxnomas wrote:
Hi,
Im running a size L mega. Long chainstays, hi flip-chip.

I cranked up the fork to 170mm and i´m not sure it was the best idea.. now I have less traction on the front wheel and the bike pedals less than before. Although for Dh is pretty good, I usually pedal 90% of the time and shuttle 10%.

Im thinking on going from 40mm stem to 50mm stem or going back to 160mm fork. What are the opinion of the people who have done the same?

If you have any room, you could try lowering the bars, that'll put your body position closer to your original weight distro. Best part about it is it's free too.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006687
Mobile Version of Website