Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
O+
Posted: May 11, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
tgent wrote:
Maclucas1420 wrote:
Has anyone mulleted a 2020 megatower cc. Looking for recommendations on what's the best way to go about. Has anyone also tried the cascade link for the megatower?

I wouldn't mullet it. The BB way will be waaaay to low even in the high flip chip position. If you run 165mm cranks and don't mind hitting your pedals a lot, I mean you can, but a 27.5 platform is a much better bike to mullet...
(
I can vouch for this! Tried to run mine as a mullet and the BB was just WAY too low (flipchip in HI), first ride I clipped a pedal on a trail section that I never thought possible to have a pedal strike and went flying! Immediately went home and swapped it all back. It might work if you only ride fireroad climbs and smooth flowtrails but if you have any techy pedalling it's not going to be good.

Unless someone can come up with a linkage that raises the BB Moon looking at you Cascade components

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 10:40 Quote
maxnomas wrote:
Hi,
Im running a size L mega. Long chainstays, hi flip-chip.

I cranked up the fork to 170mm and i´m not sure it was the best idea.. now I have less traction on the front wheel and the bike pedals less than before. Although for Dh is pretty good, I usually pedal 90% of the time and shuttle 10%.

Im thinking on going from 40mm stem to 50mm stem or going back to 160mm fork. What are the opinion of the people who have done the same?

I have a 170 up front. Never had 160 so can’t comment on the difference, but I would try it in the low setting. That should bring the bb back to “normal”. Then mess around with bar position. I run less spacers on my mega vs my tallboy to account for the increased a2c. Side by side the bars are the same height.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 4:01 Quote
Looks awesome. Done just right.

PJJ205 wrote:
New Bike Day! Officially a Megatower owner. This is the first 29er, and nicest bike that I've ever owned. I can't wait to ride this thing!

Forgive my pathetic RideWrap installation job.

2021 Megatower C S-Build- Storm Grey
Revin Carbon Hoops
DT350 Hubs w/54T Ratchet upgrade
Galfer 203mm rotors
Peatys valve stems
Pro Taper Carbon 35 bars
Pro Taper Apex stem
Better Bolts titanium bolts
OneUp dropper lever
OneUp 210 dropper
OneUp 100cc pump
SRAM GX AXS
SRAM XX1 52T chain and sprocket
Ergon SM Enduro Comp seat
Synchros fender

Next up:
-Waiting for Rockguardz carbon protector to arrive in mail
-Have Cascade Components rocker to install later on after I ride the bike as is for a little while
-Eventually going to put my Code RSC levers onto the stock Code R calipers, since I have completely stuck pistons in both of my old RSC calipers

photo

photo

O+
Posted: May 15, 2021 at 10:11 Quote
I ran my Mega in low/long with a 170 fork for a season, really good on steep DH’s and at the park but the bike becomes a bit of a sled. I switched it up to 160 in high/long for the last month or so and really prefer it. I don’t think it gives up much in the fast, steep tech but feels much quicker in tighter/flat corners. Overall I think the bike is faster for my terrain in CO. The HA is still plenty slack and with 160 in the rear it’s plenty.

Posted: May 25, 2021 at 8:50 Quote
Hi Megatower owners!

Ok, I've been lurking for a bit and I've got a decision to make...hoping ya'll can give me some help with your experience?

I ride in the South East US so lots of rocks/roots. I like a playful bike to get weird on and I really want something that does a better job eating up the square-edged medium-size impacts...

I'm currently waffling between a lightly used SC Megatower frame (here on PB buy/sell) OR a new Spesh Enduro frame. I know, I know don't mention the big S here! But those are my options and I'm wondering if anyone has some rocky/rooty experience and can tell me how this boy handles it?

I'm trying to make a decision today since stock is limited everywhere. Thanks, ya'll!

EDIT: Demo'ing isn't really an option for either frame in my area >

O+
Posted: May 25, 2021 at 12:18 Quote
countrygravy wrote:
Hi Megatower owners!

Ok, I've been lurking for a bit and I've got a decision to make...hoping ya'll can give me some help with your experience?

I ride in the South East US so lots of rocks/roots. I like a playful bike to get weird on and I really want something that does a better job eating up the square-edged medium-size impacts...

I'm currently waffling between a lightly used SC Megatower frame (here on PB buy/sell) OR a new Spesh Enduro frame. I know, I know don't mention the big S here! But those are my options and I'm wondering if anyone has some rocky/rooty experience and can tell me how this boy handles it?

I'm trying to make a decision today since stock is limited everywhere. Thanks, ya'll!

I think they're pretty different bikes. The Mega is much more of an all-rounder with a bit of extra travel compared to other bikes available today. The Spec is a monster and is a lot longer and slacker than the mega. I think it depends on how much you'll be pedaling. If it will be your only bike and you pedal at least 50% of the time, I'd go with the Megatower, as it will be a lot more manageable. If you also have a shorter travel bike or shuttle/lift most of the time, you can't go wrong with the Enduro. Both will eat up roots and square edges really well, with a slight edge to the Enduro just because it has more travel. I don't think you can go wrong either way, and I would make the decision based on the type of riding you do. FYI I do think the new Enduro is a great bike, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a friend. Also I own a Mega and have ridden a friends Enduro a few times.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2021 at 12:21 Quote
countrygravy wrote:
Hi Megatower owners!

Get the enduro. Megatower with the stock shocks (coil or air)is pretty firm compression tune for some riders. You'll be more comfortable on the enduro right off the bat. And it's not someones used megatower frame...

That being said. If you like to tinker with suspension a bunch you can get a megatower to be great on square edge impacts. Vorsprung tractive tune, float x2/dhx2 would be the shocks to look at it imo.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2021 at 13:58 Quote
countrygravy wrote:
Hi Megatower owners!

I'm in a similar boat, I purchased a Mega frame sz L from Germany last month, and after getting lost in customs at ISC New York (I've read the nightmare stories of dealing with gear lost there). I panic purchased an Enduro frame when they became available last week. Now the Mega has shown up and should be here in a few days, and the Enduro is coming today.

Not sure which one to build up and which one to sell... I ride SoCal trails with few trips to the lift, so I'm leaning to the Mega.

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 7:58 Quote
sharpy182 wrote:
605endurbro wrote:
sharpy182 wrote:
Anyone experienced a knocking sounded from the Rockshox deluxe ultimate coil? just picked one up and fitted it, brand new. bit of a clunk under compression.. any ideas?

Is it one single knocking sound during hard, quick compressions? Like if you seat bounced it really hard? If so I have that everyone once and a while whenever I take the spring off and put it back on. It almost seems like it is settling in and in goes away after awhile. Seems like the spring shifts enough to make a noise but then settles into its spot. I've found it goes away after awhile and doesn't seem to be causing any odd damage or rubbing (at least externally).

Yes, that exactly it. maybe it is just needing run and bedded in. cheers to everyone for the help.

Was your problem solved? I have the same annoying noise on my brand new RS coil…

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 8:08 Quote
I originally bought the bike with a air shock. A brand new one came on to eBay so I bought it. it did have a knocking noise to start with…. But once to shock settled in after a few ride if when away, shock feels great now. so I’d suggest to just ride it, let it bed in. make sure you’ve got the right spring weight. I’m looking to change my spring soon because I’ve been told Rock shox springs are commonly inconsistent.

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
sharpy182 wrote:
I originally bought the bike with a air shock. A brand new one came on to eBay so I bought it. it did have a knocking noise to start with…. But once to shock settled in after a few ride if when away, shock feels great now. so I’d suggest to just ride it, let it bed in. make sure you’ve got the right spring weight. I’m looking to change my spring soon because I’ve been told Rock shox springs are commonly inconsistent.

Ok, thanks. Maybe a reason to go for a Fox DHX.
There are many complaints on Youtube regarding this shock noise, so maybe a poor quality control at Rockshox…

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 7:35 Quote
Anybody tried to make it mullet? I did but I have to raise the bb a bit. I simulated the geometry and it seems the bb height difference is about 10mm between 29 and 27.5? Is this sound correct?

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 7:36 Quote
I rode it mullet for 3 runs and it was insane

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 8:13 Quote
rickyvic wrote:
Anybody tried to make it mullet? I did but I have to raise the bb a bit. I simulated the geometry and it seems the bb height difference is about 10mm between 29 and 27.5? Is this sound correct?

About the same as I found on my 29er. I just stuck a small wheel on and went for it. Felt great, but more testing needed.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013622
Mobile Version of Website