Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 11:01 Quote
Cracked my MT frame last month and they warrantied it but didn't had anything in stock in large they offered me the new bronson or the new megatower that will be redesigned. tough choice... but decided to go the 2022 megatower since i found a large 2022 range in stock at my local shop.
Santa cruz didn't want to let me know if any of my parts would fit on the new mega so i sold everything Frown

p0zi wrote:
Ah makes sense if you already had the solid spec plus getting a new frame is tough.

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 12:27 Quote
marcoroy wrote:
Cracked my MT frame last month and they warrantied it but didn't had anything in stock in large they offered me the new bronson or the new megatower that will be redesigned. tough choice... but decided to go the 2022 megatower since i found a large 2022 range in stock at my local shop.
Santa cruz didn't want to let me know if any of my parts would fit on the new mega so i sold everything Frown

p0zi wrote:
Ah makes sense if you already had the solid spec plus getting a new frame is tough.

That sucks. Where did it crack?

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 12:47 Quote
marcoroy wrote:

p0zi wrote:

Ayyyy new megatower this year confirmed tho

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 13:35 Quote
p0zi wrote:
marcoroy wrote:

p0zi wrote:

That sucks. Where did it crack?

seatstay

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
marcoroy wrote:

p0zi wrote:

From what i have been told it will be out only summer 2022...

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 13:38 Quote
marcoroy wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
marcoroy wrote:

From what i have been told it will be out only summer 2022...

thats lame, i was hoping it'd be sooner since they didnt do a color refresh for the megatower this year

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 18:48 Quote
Time to pre-order a 2023 model me thinks

Posted: Aug 16, 2021 at 7:38 Quote
Thought I'd put this in here in case anyone is interested.

Got the MT back in May after running a 27.5 Mega for a while (six+ years). It wasn't necessarily the only bike I was interested in but with supply issues it was the only bike I didn't need to pay retail on and that was actually available!

Anyway, it's a solid bike but I've been enjoying playing about and trying different options. Originally it was spec'd with Factory 36's which got swapped out for 180mm Zebs quite quickly, and then I ended up with a Cascade link on it as one came up cheap and a mate loved his. The Cascade made it better in a straight line and through repeated mid sized hits but then struggled more on the bigger hits as well as making tight turns more awkward because the rear was a little longer and harder to unstick.

Then the stock shock started to feel very, very sticky. Turns out it had zero lube in it (which would go some way to explaining why I was running 175psi at 80kg and my mate was running 220-230psi in his at 75kg!). I took the opportunity to get it tuned at the same time rather than bother going the warranty route with Silverfish in the UK and instead sent it down to Jake at Sprung Suspension. I've not ridden the rebuilt shock yet, but I have been riding this, which he also created when I sent the X2 down;

It's an old Fox RC4 that I had sitting in the toolbox that nobody seemed interested in buying. It had already been chopped from 245mm x 75mm down to 235mm x 75mm for the frame it was originally on which had a ridiculously high BB and steep head angle. I did a little bit of playing about to confirm that it would fit before committing any money to it and while tight, it did fit. If you consider a sheet of paper to be sufficient clearance, which I did. So the shock got chopped down another 5mm to give an eye to eye of 230mm, and then a 10mm delrin spacer was fitted to the shaft to limit travel to 65mm. An Ohlins bump stop and some piston/shim tweaking and tuning inside later, and I have a coil shock that just about fits into the Megatower.

So how does it ride? Very well. It's set up with quite a firm compression tune and with a 430lb spring on there it's pretty spot on, with great traction, support and no harsh moments on any square edged roots or rocks. I kept the air shock at 57.5mm stroke as I thought I'd swap this out for the bigger mountain days but it still pedals so well that I really doubt that'll happen. It allows you to really squash the back end into things to get stability but doesn't have that feel of using all the travel all the time, think more 150mm+30mm for biggest stuff. It also suits the sort of riding we do, where DD tyres and Cushcores are considered a 'light' tyre setup for 40-50km & 1500-1800m days, and on steep and technical rather than high speed trails.

Posted: Aug 18, 2021 at 4:39 Quote
Nice. Good read. Bike looks like a weapon! Thumbs up

Posted: Aug 19, 2021 at 7:03 Quote

upgraded my shock to push

Posted: Aug 19, 2021 at 7:49 Quote
Oh yeah, talk dirty to me

Posted: Aug 19, 2021 at 14:25 Quote
balentong16 wrote:

How is it?

Is that Stan's leaking through the rear tire sidewalls?

Posted: Aug 20, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
JK-47 wrote:
balentong16 wrote:

How is it?

Is that Stan's leaking through the rear tire sidewalls?

11-6 is really a game changer compared to X2, i guess having a it professionally tuned really makes the difference, having 2 valves feels like you 2 shocks at 1 were you can change the setting i flip of a switch

Posted: Aug 21, 2021 at 13:06 Quote
lance2012 wrote:
Nice. Good read. Bike looks like a weapon! Thumbs up

Cheers, it rides pretty well now I've spent some time tweaking it.

When I first got it the bike was built with the OEM 36 Factory's which were taken straight up to 170mm before I even rode it. They work so well but I found them to be pretty flex when cranking hard into turns and that they'd load up and then 'ping' rather uncontrollably on de-loading at exit, hence the Zebs. The chassis of the Zebs is much better as you'd expect but I found them really, really harsh which is totally contrary to what everyone else says. Eventually I traced it to the lowers having about 20psi in them (you could take the air cap off and still struggle to hit the stops!) so with that sorted they felt a lot better. The damping still isn't as good as Fox as it has that dead spot between compression and rebound but overall it works well enough until I get the time to get the digressive piston removed and the damper re-valved to suit. I'll get the bushes sized at the same time.

With the rear I was actually able to do a proper comparison today for the first time as it turned out the original X2 had zero lube in it from the factory. Nada. Zilch. Which is why it was sticky as hell the last time I took it out. I got Jake down at Sprung to do a tune on that too but leave it at stock travel. Today was hardly ideal conditions after all the rain but it felt a lot, lot better than standard. No spiking but good control throughout the stroke. The shim stacks behind both the rebound and compression adjusters were re-tuned as well as the main piston stack so it now has a useable range of adjustment. Previously I had them both backed all the way off for compression and the thing still spiked on big hits although I suspect this was in part down to the lack of lube in the shock necessitating less air pressure, so it was actually just sitting way too low for big hits. The coil still has a major edge for big hit thunder days but for smoother stuff like Innerleithen which is all about the mid stroke the air felt bob on today.

Another note is that Sprindex rates might have a good reputation for accuracy but after throwing the 390-430lb one on the dyno it came out as 403lb in 430lb setting, so disregard what I said above about 430lb being the right spring! 400lb it is. Conversely the 450-490lb one we also tried came out at 457lb. I did think there felt like significantly more than a 20lb difference between the two springs, and 54lb on the dyno proved it! It may as well have been a Fox SLS...

Posted: Sep 8, 2021 at 4:12 Quote
Can anyone tell me how many volume spacers came installed on a 2021 Megatower that came with a Fox 38?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008950
Mobile Version of Website