Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
| Next Page
Posted: Sep 8, 2021 at 16:24 Quote
cloverleaf wrote:
Thought I'd put this in here in case anyone is interested.

Got the MT back in May after running a 27.5 Mega for a while (six+ years). It wasn't necessarily the only bike I was interested in but with supply issues it was the only bike I didn't need to pay retail on and that was actually available!

Anyway, it's a solid bike but I've been enjoying playing about and trying different options. Originally it was spec'd with Factory 36's which got swapped out for 180mm Zebs quite quickly, and then I ended up with a Cascade link on it as one came up cheap and a mate loved his. The Cascade made it better in a straight line and through repeated mid sized hits but then struggled more on the bigger hits as well as making tight turns more awkward because the rear was a little longer and harder to unstick.

Then the stock shock started to feel very, very sticky. Turns out it had zero lube in it (which would go some way to explaining why I was running 175psi at 80kg and my mate was running 220-230psi in his at 75kg!). I took the opportunity to get it tuned at the same time rather than bother going the warranty route with Silverfish in the UK and instead sent it down to Jake at Sprung Suspension. I've not ridden the rebuilt shock yet, but I have been riding this, which he also created when I sent the X2 down;

It's an old Fox RC4 that I had sitting in the toolbox that nobody seemed interested in buying. It had already been chopped from 245mm x 75mm down to 235mm x 75mm for the frame it was originally on which had a ridiculously high BB and steep head angle. I did a little bit of playing about to confirm that it would fit before committing any money to it and while tight, it did fit. If you consider a sheet of paper to be sufficient clearance, which I did. So the shock got chopped down another 5mm to give an eye to eye of 230mm, and then a 10mm delrin spacer was fitted to the shaft to limit travel to 65mm. An Ohlins bump stop and some piston/shim tweaking and tuning inside later, and I have a coil shock that just about fits into the Megatower.

So how does it ride? Very well. It's set up with quite a firm compression tune and with a 430lb spring on there it's pretty spot on, with great traction, support and no harsh moments on any square edged roots or rocks. I kept the air shock at 57.5mm stroke as I thought I'd swap this out for the bigger mountain days but it still pedals so well that I really doubt that'll happen. It allows you to really squash the back end into things to get stability but doesn't have that feel of using all the travel all the time, think more 150mm+30mm for biggest stuff. It also suits the sort of riding we do, where DD tyres and Cushcores are considered a 'light' tyre setup for 40-50km & 1500-1800m days, and on steep and technical rather than high speed trails.

Awesome and great to see as I am in the process of doing the same to my Mega, bumping the Zeb out to 180 and running a Cascade link and a 230/60 2022 DPX2 with a Sprindex coil. How do you like the Sprindex?

Posted: Sep 8, 2021 at 20:39 Quote
Big-griff wrote:
Can anyone tell me how many volume spacers came installed on a 2021 Megatower that came with a Fox 38?

normally theres 2 volume spacer for fox 38 170mm travel

Posted: Sep 8, 2021 at 21:46 Quote
Big-griff wrote:
Can anyone tell me how many volume spacers came installed on a 2021 Megatower that came with a Fox 38?

Posted: Sep 9, 2021 at 18:13 Quote
damian75 wrote:
Awesome and great to see as I am in the process of doing the same to my Mega, bumping the Zeb out to 180 and running a Cascade link and a 230/60 2022 DPX2 with a Sprindex coil. How do you like the Sprindex?

I borrowed it from a mate to get the spring rate dialled but at 430lb it definitely felt on the lighter end of what I would call perfect as an all rounder, while the 450-490lb felt way too stiff at 450lb. I ended up sending the springs down to Jake@Sprung to shove on his dyno as I doubted the rates and at the 430lb setting it was 403lb and at 450lb the heavier one was 457lb. Definitely more than a 20lb difference! My mate wanted his Sprindex back to test out on his 65mm Super Deluxe so I’ve now got a fixed rate EXT/SuperAlloyRacing spring on there (this was always the plan once I’d worked out what rate I wanted) with the appropriate delrin spacers. The spring I have is one which came in about 405lb so a close match to what the Sprindex was in reality despite what its label said.

Ultimately the Sprindex felt fine, and we were all pretty surprised by the dyno ratings given they’re allegedly pretty accurate.

Overall the more I ride it like this the more I like it. It climbs like a trail bike and descends better than my old (and barely ridden) M9 does!

Posted: Sep 10, 2021 at 14:21 Quote
Finally joined the club and completed my custom build after waiting for parts for over 3 months from all over the world lol

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 13:43 Quote
Well, I think my Megatower has reached her final form. I've spent all the money that I have and more that I don't have to build my dream bike using resources from my workplace. I made a few changes since I bought it not too long ago and can't think of anything else that I would want or need... this is the nicest thing I've ever owned and I doubt I'll ever be able to own a bike this nice again. As is stands:

2021 Santa Cruz Megatower C S-Build- bone stock.

Added:

Santa Cruz Reserve 30's w/ I9 Hydra hubs

2021 Fox 36 Performance Elite (170mm) via Grip 2 damper and bleed valves w/ Fox fender

2022 Fox DHX2 (170mm) w/ RWC needle bearing hardware. 500lb. Fox steel spring.

Cascade Components link

Rockguardz carbon frame protection

RideWrap frame protection

Renthal Carbon Fatbars- 30mm rise

Renthal Apex stem- 40mm

OneUp Components EDC Threadless Carrier

SRAM GX AXS w/paddle upgrade

SRAM XX1 chain and cassette

2021 SRAM Code RSC brakes

Galfer Floating Wave Disc rotors- 203mm

Better Bolts titanium hardware (www.betterbolts.com)

OneUp Components 210mm dropper

Ergon SM Enduro saddle

Shimano PD-M520L pedals

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 14:55 Quote
That bike is definitely something to be proud of. Good on you for putting together such a supreme build. Now all you have to do is setup the suspension; easy right....

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 22:59 Quote
PJJ205 wrote:
Well, I think my Megatower has reached her final form. I've spent all the money that I have and more that I don't have to build my dream bike using resources from my workplace. I made a few changes since I bought it not too long ago and can't think of anything else that I would want or need... this is the nicest thing I've ever owned and I doubt I'll ever be able to own a bike this nice again.

That is a thing of beauty

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 14:55 Quote
Thanks gents! I am really happy with how it turned out. Now like you said, I need to get this thing completely dialed in. I hate playing with settings because I'm always worried I'll go the wrong way, leading to a bad crash, but can't just sit there looking pretty... I need to utilize the adjustments.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 1:26 Quote
I have a RS Super Deluxe Coil with 550 lb spring. I'm about 195 lbs but don't ride super hard. Was thinking of going down to a 500 lb spring, does that sound about right?

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 4:26 Quote

a bit different setup for park only Smile Pimp

usually this is MX, but my mx wheel is xd so trying this on double 29

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 7:44 Quote
sorny wrote:
I have a RS Super Deluxe Coil with 550 lb spring. I'm about 195 lbs but don't ride super hard. Was thinking of going down to a 500 lb spring, does that sound about right?

use this https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator and look at the VPP side

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 17:00 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
sorny wrote:

use this https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator and look at the VPP side
Thanks! Suggests 548 lb, so I guess it's pretty dead on.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008370
Mobile Version of Website