Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: Oct 9, 2021 at 10:59 Quote
Big-griff wrote:
Hey guys, having a bit of an issue with my Megatower I think, maybe I’m overthinking this.

Running a Push 11-6 shock and a couple weeks ago I noticed a bit of play in the rear suspension. Don’t really notice it while riding but noticed it when I was stopped and kind of bounced on the seat or pedals. Flip the bike upside down and can get a bit of play if I move the rear triangle up and down. I think it’s a hardware issue, Push thinks it might be a valving issue.

In the meantime, I put my Fox X2 back in and there is no play in the rear suspension but again when bouncing on the seat or pedals I am getting a knocking sound which sounds like it’s coming from the down tube area.

With both shocks, the issues are more noticeable in the firm modes.

Any insight on this would be awesome.

Can you upload a video?

Posted: Oct 9, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
sharpy182 wrote:
Big-griff wrote:
Hey guys, having a bit of an issue with my Megatower I think, maybe I’m overthinking this.

Running a Push 11-6 shock and a couple weeks ago I noticed a bit of play in the rear suspension. Don’t really notice it while riding but noticed it when I was stopped and kind of bounced on the seat or pedals. Flip the bike upside down and can get a bit of play if I move the rear triangle up and down. I think it’s a hardware issue, Push thinks it might be a valving issue.

In the meantime, I put my Fox X2 back in and there is no play in the rear suspension but again when bouncing on the seat or pedals I am getting a knocking sound which sounds like it’s coming from the down tube area.

Can you upload a video?

I had an issue with mine where it came spec’d with the wrong link bolts. The thread was too long so the link was hammering the threads. Ended up carving the carbon out around the link, where it sat against then chainstays. Supposedly, this only happened on an early batch, when it first came out. Is it that?

Posted: Oct 9, 2021 at 15:58 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
sorny wrote:
I have a RS Super Deluxe Coil with 550 lb spring. I'm about 195 lbs but don't ride super hard. Was thinking of going down to a 500 lb spring, does that sound about right?

use this https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator and look at the VPP side

As ever these things can only get you into a ballpark, especially if you're running a custom valve set up or different shock to usual. For the VPP, TF recommend 440-460lb with my 82kg and 65mm/180mm yet I find the 400lb spring perfect for slick and rooty stuff, even with a lot of highish speed technical thrown in. 425lb would be good in the alps on higher speed stuff, but 457lb was too much even with a less heavily damped 57.5mm shock than my RC4, to the point where I found the back end just wouldn't follow the ground properly, especially in steep corners where there wasn't much weight on the back wheel.

O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2021 at 20:43 Quote
cloverleaf wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
sorny wrote:
I have a RS Super Deluxe Coil with 550 lb spring. I'm about 195 lbs but don't ride super hard. Was thinking of going down to a 500 lb spring, does that sound about right?

use this https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator and look at the VPP side

As ever these things can only get you into a ballpark, especially if you're running a custom valve set up or different shock to usual. For the VPP, TF recommend 440-460lb with my 82kg and 65mm/180mm yet I find the 400lb spring perfect for slick and rooty stuff, even with a lot of highish speed technical thrown in. 425lb would be good in the alps on higher speed stuff, but 457lb was too much even with a less heavily damped 57.5mm shock than my RC4, to the point where I found the back end just wouldn't follow the ground properly, especially in steep corners where there wasn't much weight on the back wheel.

If youre running a custom valve set up then they will tell you what spring to run.

Posted: Oct 10, 2021 at 18:32 Quote
Big-griff wrote:

I had a similar issue with my Push. The lower hardware bent on me twice, but I also churned through the little red DU bushings that Push supplied.

I would suggest swapping the bushings and checking if that bolt is straight when you take the shock out.

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 5:34 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
If youre running a custom valve set up then they will tell you what spring to run.

Absolutely, they should. That doesn't change the point I was making in that these spring calculators are only a very rough guide to get you in the ballpark and can in fact be some way from the ideal spring for a rider; i.e 440-460lb TF recommendation for me vs 400-425 being ideal. You need to use them with a little common sense and experience, and if you don't have enough experience then know this and ask for help, or borrow springs either side of the recommendation to see which way feels best. Not getting at you at all, just pointing out to people that you shouldn't blindly rely on things they see recommended just because it comes from a tuner's website. The calculators don't know the exact mechanicals of the bike (unless it's a proper consultation type discussion with a real person), the nature of your trails, or your ability (almost everyone overestimates their ability and speed when asked, just look at self-seeded races!).

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 5:57 Quote
[Quote="cloverleaf"]
newbermuda wrote:
The calculators don't know the exact mechanicals of the bike (unless it's a proper consultation type discussion with a real person)

I used J-tech for this. You fill in a survey with all the information and then someone actually works it out for you based on the specific bike. Costs £5 but well worth it and if you buy the spring from them they'll take the £5 off anyway. The spring I ended up with from this was WAY stiff than what various other calculators had spat out.

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 7:32 Quote
MTBnamegenerator wrote:
Big-griff wrote:

I had a similar issue with my Push. The lower hardware bent on me twice, but I also churned through the little red DU bushings that Push supplied.

I would suggest swapping the bushings and checking if that bolt is straight when you take the shock out.

I’ve tried swapping bolts and the play is there still. There is a little bit of play in the shock bearings. Unfortunately Push won’t just send me the new bearings, they want me to ship the shock out.

As for my X2, it ended up being the lower roller bearing so it’s all good now.

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 9:14 Quote
Hey all. Not sure if anyone has any leads on this, but I just swapped out my stock 2021 Fox 36 Performance Elite for a 2022 Fox 38 Performance Elite am looking to color match the stock 36 graphics from my 2021 Megatower Storm Grey so I can keep the stock theme alive with the new fork. Do any of you happen to have access to a vector file for a Fox 38 Performance Elite or a Factory so I can get what I want together and send it to my buddy to have his shop print it for me? Any insight would be helpful. Thank you!

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 9:32 Quote
Might be easier just to buy a set from Slikgraphics or similar? They generally have all the SC colours.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 23:15 Quote
Big-griff wrote:

Could be two things based on my experience:
- The chainstay flip-chip had the wrong dimensions in some production runs. You can file it down or ask for a new one. Problem was that the chip was too wide and didn't allow the frame to tighten against the hub.
- Some 11-6's have had problems with the shaft end eyelet, which feels like play in the spherical bearing. I still think it's play in the bearing. Gonna wait until it's first service to get that assembly replaced under warranty.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 7:47 Quote
yeti85 wrote:
Big-griff wrote:

Could be two things based on my experience:
- The chainstay flip-chip had the wrong dimensions in some production runs. You can file it down or ask for a new one. Problem was that the chip was too wide and didn't allow the frame to tighten against the hub.
- Some 11-6's have had problems with the shaft end eyelet, which feels like play in the spherical bearing. I still think it's play in the bearing. Gonna wait until it's first service to get that assembly replaced under warranty.

I agree that it’s in the bearing. Push is saying it could be the eyelet, but don’t think it’s the bearing. Anyways, I shipped it out for warranty last week, I’ll hopefully get it back this week.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 8:15 Quote
any news on a mk2 megatower?

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
jhowlett wrote:
any news on a mk2 megatower?
Right around Summer 2022, last I heard.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 8:35 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
Might be easier just to buy a set from Slikgraphics or similar? They generally have all the SC colours.
Ended up using Stikrd, against just about everyone's advice. Been a little over a week and hasn't shipped yet, but they voluntarily gave me a good deal so I can't complain. I'll report back when I get them in hand.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008441
Mobile Version of Website