Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 12:16 Quote
Gobstopper1 wrote:
I've run through the gauntlet of shocks. I ran the DHX2 initially for 3-6 months, felt very dead. Good on the steepest and most technical of trails but almost made moving the bike around hard. Mine is a XXL so setting up is important. I moved to an X2 after that and it was just ok, never felt great to me. I'm now running the Cascade Link with Super Deluxe Ultimate (air). I have no desire at this point to change or tweak anything. I don't think it gives anything up to the DHX2 on the roughest of trails and has way more pop. I like how active the bike is and based on times, the bike is faster overall. Not sure if this is the SDU or the Cascade link but it works. Running it in the 57.5mm stroke for 165mm of travel.

Interesting… I also felt like the seat angle was a little slack, or at least that’s the feeling I thought I was getting. But spent a bit of time getting the shock tuned, and set up to a point were I thought was good for the bike. uphills don’t seem such a slog now that I’m not sitting so far into the travel. And works brilliantly on the way down.. really grippy.

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 12:18 Quote
Gobstopper1 wrote:
I've run through the gauntlet of shocks. I ran the DHX2 initially for 3-6 months, felt very dead. Good on the steepest and most technical of trails but almost made moving the bike around hard. Mine is a XXL so setting up is important. I moved to an X2 after that and it was just ok, never felt great to me. I'm now running the Cascade Link with Super Deluxe Ultimate (air). I have no desire at this point to change or tweak anything. I don't think it gives anything up to the DHX2 on the roughest of trails and has way more pop. I like how active the bike is and based on times, the bike is faster overall. Not sure if this is the SDU or the Cascade link but it works. Running it in the 57.5mm stroke for 165mm of travel.

Funny you mention this setup as I have just recently come to the same conclusion this week.

I started with the Super Delux Ultimate and hated it (constantly bottoming out). Swapped it for a X2 and it made a huge improvement. Then I added a Cascade link and it was even better. Last week I took the X2 off to get it rebuilt and put the SDU back on while the X2 was at Fox and I realized I think I like the SDU w/ Cascade link better than the X2 now. I can't put my finger on it exactly but it just feels more nimble yet equally as plush as the X2. I will put the rebuilt X2 on when I get it back though just for comparison.

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
If you want the SDU to feel plush….. try a megneg on it with a vorsprung tractive tune.. honestly, it really does transform the bike.

I’ve not gone down the root of a cascade link yet. But the bike feels so much better than the standard tune that came with the bike. the standard tune almost felt a little choppy, and you had to put in way more air than they recommended to get decent sag.

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 2:54 Quote
I've tried the SD, an X2 (with and without cascade link), and more recently a Storia (with cascade link).

The link has made far more difference than the shock IMO, to the point I wonder if I ever needed to change the shock, or if it just needed the link to improve things. I don't have the SD any more to test it with the link unfortunately but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the link to anyone.

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 6:52 Quote
Do any of you use the rear shock lock off? The bike climbs so well without it, I'm just curious a) if anyone uses it and b) was it really even necessary to have?

I've had bikes in the past where it was a game changer for climbing, but the MT seems completely fine without it...

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 7:02 Quote
I have a Megatower, gen 2 Hightower and gen 4 Tallboy. Have never used the lockout on any of them.

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 7:04 Quote
I am on a 2021 Megatower, DHX2 and Fox 38, 170 both ends.. I never use the lockout and it still climbs 10x better than my Bronson V3. Makes me laugh how well the thing climbs for how heavy and big of a bike it is.

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 7:31 Quote
Whistler-whistler wrote:
Do any of you use the rear shock lock off? The bike climbs so well without it, I'm just curious a) if anyone uses it and b) was it really even necessary to have?

I've had bikes in the past where it was a game changer for climbing, but the MT seems completely fine without it...

I use the climb switch on longer smooth climbs.

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 9:37 Quote
I will use the lockout on mine for longer, smoother climbs to keep the bike riding higher in it's travel. Or I'll use it when the climbs are aggressive and you're pushing it with a crew. There is a difference but it's not necessary.

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 13:45 Quote
I have a RS coil on my Megatower (stock, XT Coil model) and I only use the climb switch for fireroad climbs, more or less.

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 14:07 Quote
I just find unless I'm standing and pedalling it has very little pedal-bob. The modern vpp works so well for seated pedalling.

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 22:13 Quote
I always firm up my compression when climbing, it makes a huge difference for me especially with a DHx2 coil. When I ran the super deluxe it didn't make as drastic of a difference.

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 14:33 Quote
I just got a Fox 38 170 mm and wavering on whether to install a 180 mm airspring. I plan on using my MT for primarily park but may take it on climb type rides during park season.

Should I install the 180 or try it in 170 first?

I'm coming from a Fox 36 170.

Curious on your thoughts.

TIA.

Posted: Nov 9, 2021 at 7:27 Quote
My fox 38 170mm is out for a warranty issue and the shop I work at loaned me a RS Domain set up at 180mm and I really don't notice the difference in travel that much, more just a big difference between the domain and the 38. I would personally just stick to 170 and get it feeling dialed. I found it difficult to set up the 38.

Active Forum Threads
2 mins ago - Chain dropping off chainring after rear wheel upgrade.
33 mins ago - Removing Rear Axle
34 mins ago - 2018 demo
37 mins ago - Sram NX PG-1230
38 mins ago - Onyx Vesper Hub Problems
43 mins ago - Dented rim
52 mins ago - Do You Wear Gloves Mountain Biking?
1 hours ago - Official Vernon Riders Thread
2 hours ago - Trek session owners club
2 hours ago - Where can I watch the World Champs online?
2 hours ago - Does a 'stiff', 1.125", long-travel 32 mm stanchion fork exist?
2 hours ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
2 hours ago - Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
2 hours ago - 100 (or more) days of biking in 2022!
2 hours ago - Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post* then contact isaacschmidt directly
2 hours ago - Mountain bike trails near starlight pa
3 hours ago - 155mm cranks for shimano ep8
3 hours ago - Cura 2 vs magura mt trail sport
3 hours ago - Riders in North Carolina
4 hours ago - SKEERPOORT CLINIC)‎]‎[@]‎[ 0833736090 *DR. JABULILE!$^^ Abortion PILLS FOR SALE IN SKEERPOORT/NORTHWEST CLINIC
4 hours ago - Rustenburg 0833736090 * Cheap Clinic * DR. JABULILE / Abortion PILLS FOR SALE IN RUSTENBURG / BREDASDORP CLINIC
4 hours ago - IN Etwatwa[(WhatsApp.._+̲2̲7̲6̲3̲3̲8̲6̲7̲0̲6̲3̲)][ABORTION PILLS FOR SALE IN Etwatwa GWxrEbi*&$*^$-
4 hours ago - IN Etwatwa[(WhatsApp.._••• +27633867063•••)][ABORTION PILLS FOR SALE IN Etwatwa iOM5IUQ*)~!$}*
4 hours ago - Grabouw ][**WhatsApp:0633867063'*][* Legit & Safe Abortion Pills For Sale In Grabouw,g47, LENASIA &^`%(&^`%(g47g47
4 hours ago - IN ETWATWA[(WhatsApp.._+27633867063)][ABORTION PILLS FOR SALE IN ETWATWA FSogMXV%^}`_~$

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007513
Mobile Version of Website