Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 18:42 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
nubbs wrote:
Linc wrote:
I'm seeing some talk about a V2 Mega in the works.

What do people think even needs updating? I can barely think of anything.

The only thing I'd possibly like is a straight ZS56 headtube (like the Pivot) so you could tweak reach and H/A a bit.

It needs a lot.

That thing pedalled like a turd imo. On an xl. Needs an actual steep seat tube angle, better rear dropouts, straight 1.5" headtube, longer chain stays on bigger sizes, less pedal feedback, not an integrated headset.

I find it pedals amazingly for a burly bike. Even with the 5 lbs of weight I've added to mine it shrugs off 50+ km, 2000+ m rides.

+1. 10,000,000x better than my Bronson V3 and I have my Mega at 170/170 coil without ever touching the climb switch.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 18:50 Quote
To be a modern enduro race bike it need to be closer to a 64° HTA, 77-78° STA, size specific chainstays, Sram UDH, etc.

Personally, for what I need it's pretty close to perfect though.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 20:40 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
To be a modern enduro race bike it need to be closer to a 64° HTA, 77-78° STA, size specific chainstays, Sram UDH, etc.

I just hope they come up with a way to hit all those angles - but retain adjustment.

I've really enjoyed toggling between CS lengths, hi/lo setting - and then in parallel, messing with fork heights and suspension curves. It'd be a definite disappointment if the next gen locked riders into standard geo more.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 20:46 Quote
Linc wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:

I just hope they come up with a way to hit all those angles - but retain adjustment.

I've really enjoyed toggling between CS lengths, hi/lo setting - and then in parallel, messing with fork heights and suspension curves. It'd be a definite disappointment if the next gen locked riders into standard geo more.

They're almost certainly going to ditch the chainstay flip chip to fit the universal hanger. They already did it on the 2022 Tallboy.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 6:12 Quote
Linc wrote:
I'm seeing some talk about a V2 Mega in the works.

What do people think even needs updating? I can barely think of anything.

The only thing I'd possibly like is a straight ZS56 headtube (like the Pivot) so you could tweak reach and H/A a bit.

As other people have said, the STA is crazy slack especially on bigger sizes where there's more post extension / leverage which exacerbates the problem.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 6:48 Quote
wouldn't be surprised with
- 170/170
- 63,5° ha
- 77° sa
- udh

would be surprised if:
- rated for double crown

got myself v1 and not seeing an upgrade as necessary, but we'll see Smile

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 12:47 Quote
Seems like a lot of us are already running the Mega along those lines, I've got a 170 Zeb and a cascade link. Staring at the numbers I might convince myself that the steeper seat tube is worth the upgrade but I think the changes are going to be small. I don't think this bike gets a high pivot based on some things I've read / watched.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 13:01 Quote
Gobstopper1 wrote:
Seems like a lot of us are already running the Mega along those lines, I've got a 170 Zeb and a cascade link. Staring at the numbers I might convince myself that the steeper seat tube is worth the upgrade but I think the changes are going to be small. I don't think this bike gets a high pivot based on some things I've read / watched.

I really hope they don't go high pivot on it.
Coming off a high pivot bike to the Megatower I don't miss it at all.
The current Megatower is better in every way.
I personally don't think it needs much.
Steeper STA, maybe slightly slacker HTA, and a SWAT type box would be cool.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 19:28 Quote
My bikes still 160 f+r...but now having a hightower and tallboy in the stable, a 170mm bike makes alot more sense.
Either way I just pre-ordered my 2023 Megatower today so what ever it is..and whatever color it ends up being, I guess that's what I'm getting lol

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 19:51 Quote
I wonder if they will give the option for a mega mullet?

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 20:40 Quote
seanluge wrote:
I wonder if they will give the option for a mega mullet?

I think this will be the big thing that makes me want a 23 model! Along with steeper STA

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 20:23 Quote
Doing the winter rebuild and putting on some new RF Atlas cranks. What 30mm BSA BB fits out there? Not a lot of space on that chainstay and I understand KIngs don’t fit.

RF bb looks like it may be good but I’ve never had good luck with their BB.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 20:29 Quote
p0zi wrote:
Doing the winter rebuild and putting on some new RF Atlas cranks. What 30mm BSA BB fits out there? Not a lot of space on that chainstay and I understand KIngs don’t fit.

Ooof yeah that's a good one. King def does not fit I tried that once...

I would say the wheels mfg bsa 30mm angular contact but I cant confirm it fits a mega on the non drive side... Maybe call/email Wheels mfg and ask them. The raceface bottom brackets are crap for sure.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 21:09 Quote
Forgot about Wheels. I’ll contact them.

I need the OD of the cups. Anything around 45mm gives about 3mm of gap to the chainstay.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 0:17 Quote
p0zi wrote:

I have the hope 30mm one, fits like a glove

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006185
Mobile Version of Website