Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: May 8, 2022 at 15:03 Quote
MT36 wrote:
RicBasil wrote:
Big-griff wrote:
Hey guys, having a bit of an issue with my Megatower I think, maybe I’m overthinking this.

Running a Push 11-6 shock and a couple weeks ago I noticed a bit of play in the rear suspension. Don’t really notice it while riding but noticed it when I was stopped and kind of bounced on the seat or pedals. Flip the bike upside down and can get a bit of play if I move the rear triangle up and down. I think it’s a hardware issue, Push thinks it might be a valving issue.

In the meantime, I put my Fox X2 back in and there is no play in the rear suspension but again when bouncing on the seat or pedals I am getting a knocking sound which sounds like it’s coming from the down tube area.

With both shocks, the issues are more noticeable in the firm modes.

Any insight on this would be awesome.

Can you relate to this? Is it the same issue?
Any Ideias on this fully extended knock?

Already slowed down the rebound...

https://youtu.be/XC50veItp64

When was the last time you replaced the shock bushings? Those can wear over time and result in a slight vertical play.

I’m already waiting for them, should arrive anytime this week! Hoping it will fix the issue since I’m out of ideias! It’s been serviced less than a year ago .
I’ve also upgraded the bolts to burgtec titanium hoping it would just go away ‍♂️

Posted: May 8, 2022 at 23:20 Quote
sharpy182 wrote:
Billyskye wrote:
sharpy182 wrote:

I’ve got one on mine….. 4 bands in the negative… one token in the positive…. and 20% more air pressure to whatever they recommend for your weight.
I’ve also added a vorsprung upgrade to mine and it really does work well with the megneg.

Nice, what weight are you if you don’t mind me asking? And what rebound and lsc are you running? I’m currently running 1 negative band with 240psi it feels okay but yea allways on the hunt for better

So I take it you weigh around 192lbs? do you not find with running only 1 band in the negative you to soft off the top??
I’m 190lbs…. 2 clicks of rebound and 3 lsc. that said, I’ve got the vorsprung in it, so it’ll feel different. Try adding more bands to the negative chamber.. you don’t need that much negative space.

I weigh around 170lbs , soft Of the top I’m not sure but I do like it to be sensitive of the top on chatter, okay cool Im about to service it so will put 4 bands in see how it is, thanks for the help, I take the vorsprung is just a custom tune to the bike?

Posted: May 9, 2022 at 8:23 Quote
Billyskye wrote:
sharpy182 wrote:
Billyskye wrote:

Nice, what weight are you if you don’t mind me asking? And what rebound and lsc are you running? I’m currently running 1 negative band with 240psi it feels okay but yea allways on the hunt for better

So I take it you weigh around 192lbs? do you not find with running only 1 band in the negative you to soft off the top??
I’m 190lbs…. 2 clicks of rebound and 3 lsc. that said, I’ve got the vorsprung in it, so it’ll feel different. Try adding more bands to the negative chamber.. you don’t need that much negative space.

I weigh around 170lbs , soft Of the top I’m not sure but I do like it to be sensitive of the top on chatter, okay cool Im about to service it so will put 4 bands in see how it is, thanks for the help, I take the vorsprung is just a custom tune to the bike?

Interesting, I think we're running our shocks quite differently. I'm 180 lbs, V1 Mega if anyone sees this later when the V2 becomes more widely ridden. 200 psi, and that puts me at 28% sag, 10 clicks LSC, 4 clicks rebound, 2 bands positive chamber, 3 bands meg neg. All clicks counted from closed/counterclockwise. Feels great, have yet to have a harsh bottom out on it, supple off the top with the meg neg. FYI I also switch back and forth between this RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate Air and Push 11.6 Coil, so my air setup is intended to be close to the coil but slightly less aggressive and more poppy.

Only spot I see where we're way off (assuming we're counting clicks the same) is your LSC is almost closed while mine is almost completely open, and you're running a ton more pressure, which may be because the Vorsprung tune??

Posted: May 9, 2022 at 10:02 Quote
tgent wrote:
Billyskye wrote:
sharpy182 wrote:

Interesting, I think we're running our shocks quite differently. I'm 180 lbs, V1 Mega if anyone sees this later when the V2 becomes more widely ridden. 200 psi, and that puts me at 28% sag, 10 clicks LSC, 4 clicks rebound, 2 bands positive chamber, 3 bands meg neg. All clicks counted from closed/counterclockwise. Feels great, have yet to have a harsh bottom out on it, supple off the top with the meg neg. FYI I also switch back and forth between this RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate Air and Push 11.6 Coil, so my air setup is intended to be close to the coil but slightly less aggressive and more poppy.

Only spot I see where we're way off (assuming we're counting clicks the same) is your LSC is almost closed while mine is almost completely open, and you're running a ton more pressure, which may be because the Vorsprung tune??

Interesting.. I like the sound of that set up.
Yeah the vorsprung is the tune they recommended for the bike. I like it to feel predictable in corners… grippy….

Took a bit of time to workout what I liked, but the original tune that the bike came with just never felt right, very choppy.

Billyskye…. Let us know how you get on.

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 19:17 Quote
Does anyone know the weight difference between the C and CC frame? I asked a Santa Cruz Rep and Warranty guy but they both seemed to avoid the question which makes me think there isn't much difference.

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 22:14 Quote
seanluge wrote:
Does anyone know the weight difference between the C and CC frame? I asked a Santa Cruz Rep and Warranty guy but they both seemed to avoid the question which makes me think there isn't much difference.

250g ish

Posted: May 14, 2022 at 5:19 Quote
250g ain’t worth the price tag. I’m going for the C build. My Nomad was a C and I couldn’t tell the difference between my buddy’s CC frame. I can’t justify paying $4200 for CC frame only, when I can get a complete C “R” build for $5600. $1400 more buys me a whole bike! No brainer to me.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 8:28 Quote
Paying full pop for 250G of weight savings doesn't make sense to me, unless you have money to piss down the drain.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 9:58 Quote
It’s nearly impossible to make the MT light anyways if you go with the typical enduro components. 38mm fork, adequate tire casings, etc.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 10:09 Quote
If you’re in the market for a MT, weight savings probably isn’t a priority anyway.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 11:47 Quote
fredro wrote:
If you’re in the market for a MT, weight savings probably isn’t a priority anyway.

I heard over the weekend, the new MT2 frame with the bags for the storage is about 500 grams more than the old MT frame, large, CC, so weight weenies will not be happy, hahaha

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 12:05 Quote
a-double wrote:
It’s nearly impossible to make the MT light anyways if you go with the typical enduro components. 38mm fork, adequate tire casings, etc.

remeber that Santa cruz has a big chunk of its customers who buy the biggest baddest bike SC makes, so they can look baller on their local blue square XC trails.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 18:31 Quote
Just picked up a megatower 1 , feels great! I love my v4 nomad and the megatower is very close but better. I think the derailleur clutch is a bit week because the rear ended is soooo noisy on larger hits

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 9:51 Quote
My new megatower arrived 6 weeks earlier than expected. XXL Frame fits so well coming from a V2 Bronson. No complaints with the R spec.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 12:00 Quote
b-ert wrote:
My new megatower arrived 6 weeks earlier than expected. XXL Frame fits so well coming from a V2 Bronson. No complaints with the R spec.

Really starting to like that blue! enjoy the new ride. is that photo a panoramic? Fork angle looks wild!

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006691
Mobile Version of Website