Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 15:27 Quote
Anyone run cascade link on their 2020 megatower? Just bought a used one and it has some play in the lower shock eyelet area. Dont know if this is common, or if there is an easy fix to keep it from happening again

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 11:10 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
Anyone run cascade link on their 2020 megatower? Just bought a used one and it has some play in the lower shock eyelet area. Dont know if this is common, or if there is an easy fix to keep it from happening again

Fit should be the same as stock link minus the flip chips. Is the lower eyelet bearing good? Did you include the eyelet spacers that go on each side?

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 13:59 Quote
How are all of y’all using your tool wallet and tube purse? I’d love to see some photos.

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 0:24 Quote
Can anyone here comment on whether the head tube is wider on the Mega V2 compared to the V1 (and if so much how)?

Currently running Boxxers on the V1 and would really like to keep them on the V2. Worried about turning radius though…

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 4:15 Quote
b-ert wrote:
My new megatower arrived 6 weeks earlier than expected. XXL Frame fits so well coming from a V2 Bronson. No complaints with the R spec.
photo

XXL squad

Love how these look like Nomads until you read the tire size.

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 6:44 Quote
Has anyone ran a rear shock with 65mm stroke instead of stock 62.5mm? If so, what changed on the bike?

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 6:50 Quote
AlexMacGill wrote:
Has anyone ran a rear shock with 65mm stroke instead of stock 62.5mm? If so, what changed on the bike?
The travel

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 6:59 Quote
christiaan wrote:
AlexMacGill wrote:
The travel

Do you know if this will have negative consequences? I guess the travel will only change slightly?

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 7:05 Quote
I’m running the 65mm stroke. It equates to 170mm travel, as opposed to 165mm with the stock 62.5mm stroke.

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 7:35 Quote
I have the new 65mm super deluxe coil on order for my new Megatower (also still on order lol ).
I have been wondering if there is a chance the rear tire might buzz the seat tube or seat due to the increase in travel but haven't heard anything about that yet.

I'm a bit perplexed why they didn't just offer it with a 65mm stroke shock to begin with. Perhaps they had an inventory of 62.5mm stroke shocks still from the Megatower V1.

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 8:07 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
I have the new 65mm super deluxe coil on order for my new Megatower (also still on order lol ).
I have been wondering if there is a chance the rear tire might buzz the seat tube or seat due to the increase in travel but haven't heard anything about that yet.

I'm a bit perplexed why they didn't just offer it with a 65mm stroke shock to begin with. Perhaps they had an inventory of 62.5mm stroke shocks still from the Megatower V1.

They specifically tell you that you can run a 65mm stroke shock to go 170 travel but they went 62.5mm/165mm for whatever reason.

Edit: go to the FAQs at the bottom of the page
https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/megatower

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 8:47 Quote
PJJ205 wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

They specifically tell you that you can run a 65mm stroke shock to go 170 travel but they went 62.5mm/165mm for whatever reason.

Feels like a marketing thing. Race bike vs. freeride bike. Annoying for the air shockers like myself, but easily remedied for the coil folks.

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 8:49 Quote
kind of gimmicky. I doubt you'd really be able to discern the difference in suspension feel between the two lengths, aside from maybe some climbing

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 10:55 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:

Buzzed my seat only once on a big drop. 170mm feels great in the bike park.

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 19:05 Quote
PJJ205 wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

Yes I know, hense why I have a 65mm stroke shock on order.

It is, however, not uncommon for even stock bikes to buzz the seat tube on full bottom out. One example I can think of off the top of my head is the Hightower LT, when bottomed out (hard) it was known to leave rubber streaks on the seat tube. I know there's other bikes out there that did this (I think the previous gen Scott Gambler did...).

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.168619
Mobile Version of Website