Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 5:57 Quote
Of the three local Megatowers making this noise, one is running DHX2, one is running super deluxe select air and I am running super deluxe select plus air at the moment (will be super deluxe ultimate coil once my coil arrives).

The shop managers Megatower has foam wrapped all of the cables/hoses in the rear triangle as I have. You can grab the cables by hand and try to move them in the frame and there is no noise present.

I will try and get out with a gopro soon to record the sound. Also will try a chainless run to see if that eliminates the noise.

It's such a harsh sound I would suspect something going on with the rear linkage. I would not suspect it being bent shock bolts as this bike is brand new and was making this noise on its maiden voyage.

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 6:12 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Of the three local Megatowers making this noise, one is running DHX2, one is running super deluxe select air and I am running super deluxe select plus at the moment.

The shop managers Megatower has foam wrapped all of the cables/hoses in the rear triangle as I have. You can grab the cables by hand and try to move them in the frame and there is no noise present.

I will try and get out with a gopro soon to record the sound. Also will try a chainless run to see if that eliminates the noise.

It's such a harsh sound I would suspect something going on with the rear linkage. I would not suspect it being bent shock bolts as this bike is brand new and was making this noise on its maiden voyage.

I have the same noise on my bronson v4 and i have been working with sc support to solve it... so far i changed the shock, replaced all the bearing (frame and hubs), replaced the linkage and now we are at the stage of replacing only the front triangle...

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 6:46 Quote
bikefuturist wrote:
currently healing my broken clavicle (6 weeks and almost done), but made some interesting modifications to my v1. I delimited the stroke reducer (or is it stoke reducer he he) to 65mm and found out there is pleasantly room and the linkage movement seems norrmal. I also installed ochain. Will be interesting to ride!

This is interesting. I am in the same boat as I now have a 65mm dhx2 I want to put on my v1 MT, I was goign to return it to 57.5mm stroke. I emailed SC and they said I can only run at 57.5 as per website or else I could face damaging the frame. Did you test the clearance with spring off?? Is there any area where it could get close.
Do you know what rear travel the 65mm stroke will give you?

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 11:37 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Of the three local Megatowers making this noise, one is running DHX2, one is running super deluxe select air and I am running super deluxe select plus air at the moment (will be super deluxe ultimate coil once my coil arrives).

My Megatower 1 came with the wrong shock hardware, didn’t get picked up till I put it in for a service because I though the DU bush was worn.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 12:14 Quote
Well the manager of the shop (with the exact issue) has two shocks with two sets of hardware (one for each) as he has an x2 and a dhx2.. I doubt they both are the wrong hardware.

I will double check I have the right stuff, is it pretty obvious if it's wrong?

I will also have a second set of hardware when I put my super deluxe coil on, so that will eliminate that possibility for me as well.

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 12:18 Quote
My MT2 is a little noisy as well, but after riding my ebike with ep8 motor, I’m used to it by now. I really hate loud bikes. Both my bikes are noisy af. Sigh*

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 13:04 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Well the manager of the shop (with the exact issue) has two shocks with two sets of hardware (one for each) as he has an x2 and a dhx2.. I doubt they both are the wrong hardware.

I will double check I have the right stuff, is it pretty obvious if it's wrong?

I will also have a second set of hardware when I put my super deluxe coil on, so that will eliminate that possibility for me as well.

Be interesting to see when you get the chance to fill it. nothing worse than a annoying sound on a new bike!

Be interesting to see how Santacruz handle it.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 14:03 Quote
Well I'm baffled today. I got my bike back from the shop fellow who had test ridden it and confirmed it is making the same noise as him. He is quite a bit heavier and a little taller than I am so he had the setup changed up a good bit.

Today my plan was to do some experimenting; A lap with no bottle on the cage and glovebox lid on and nothing in glovebox. A lap with bottle on cage and nothing in glovebox. A lap with no glovebox lid installed and nothing in glovebox. a lap with storage burritos in glovebox and bottle on cage. A lap with no chain. Just to test all the theories mentioned.

Woke up and adjusted everything on the bike to my preferred settings. Went for a full top to bottom lap of South Benson's fastest, roughest trails. Bike is feeling amazing, I'm feeling pretty good on it....and amazingly...NO NOISE.

Second lap, loaded up the glovebox with the tube burrito and tire levers. Put a bottle in the cage and went at it again.

Still no noise... I do not know what has changed. All I can think is perhaps moving the seat post up and down changed the position of the dropper cable?? Or somehow having the suspension pressures adjusted up significantly higher and having it ridden by a heavier person, then brought back down changed things?!

I am at a loss as to why, but the noise is gone. I'm actually a little embarrassed as I have been making such a big deal of this, loosing sleep as its been stressing me out...

..but actually I am so damn happy. The bike is quiet, feels amazing, I've been getting top ten times and other PR's on it and I'm not even used to the bike yet.

Kind of giddy and in shock right now.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 14:16 Quote
Now you'll be losing sleep trying to figure out what it was. Glad to hear it's gone, though.
Nothing worse than a noisy bike(I'm looking at you I9)!

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 14:30 Quote
Yeah...now to deal with the nasty creaking under load on my Tallboy lol

Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 17:27 Quote
Help... Have a v1 megatower. The 2mm grub screw holding the metal piece where the rear axel goes in is stripped. I have a spare grub screw, but now just trying to unthread it... Anyone have any tips?

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 20:13 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
Help... Have a v1 megatower. The 2mm grub screw holding the metal piece where the rear axel goes in is stripped. I have a spare grub screw, but now just trying to unthread it... Anyone have any tips?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iHs9VGEuhxI

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 4:03 Quote
V1 owners, are you running a spacer with your bottom bracket? I'm using the SRAM DBU BSA and have no spacer installed, so far it seems to work but I was wondering how MT owner run their BBs.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 9:43 Quote
MindPatterns wrote:
V1 owners, are you running a spacer with your bottom bracket? I'm using the SRAM DBU BSA and have no spacer installed, so far it seems to work but I was wondering how MT owner run their BBs.

No spacers on BB cups. 4.5mm outer right spacer for chain line.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012448
Mobile Version of Website