Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 11:23 Quote
nubbs wrote:
MindPatterns wrote:
V1 owners, are you running a spacer with your bottom bracket? I'm using the SRAM DBU BSA and have no spacer installed, so far it seems to work but I was wondering how MT owner run their BBs.

No spacers on BB cups. 4.5mm outer right spacer for chain line.

Thanks, that's my current setup, tool. The wear of the SRAM DUB BB is absymal, though

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 17:58 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Well I'm baffled today. I got my bike back from the shop fellow who had test ridden it and confirmed it is making the same noise as him. He is quite a bit heavier and a little taller than I am so he had the setup changed up a good bit.

Today my plan was to do some experimenting; A lap with no bottle on the cage and glovebox lid on and nothing in glovebox. A lap with bottle on cage and nothing in glovebox. A lap with no glovebox lid installed and nothing in glovebox. a lap with storage burritos in glovebox and bottle on cage. A lap with no chain. Just to test all the theories mentioned.

Woke up and adjusted everything on the bike to my preferred settings. Went for a full top to bottom lap of South Benson's fastest, roughest trails. Bike is feeling amazing, I'm feeling pretty good on it....and amazingly...NO NOISE.

Second lap, loaded up the glovebox with the tube burrito and tire levers. Put a bottle in the cage and went at it again.

Still no noise... I do not know what has changed. All I can think is perhaps moving the seat post up and down changed the position of the dropper cable?? Or somehow having the suspension pressures adjusted up significantly higher and having it ridden by a heavier person, then brought back down changed things?!

I am at a loss as to why, but the noise is gone. I'm actually a little embarrassed as I have been making such a big deal of this, loosing sleep as its been stressing me out...

..but actually I am so damn happy. The bike is quiet, feels amazing, I've been getting top ten times and other PR's on it and I'm not even used to the bike yet.

Kind of giddy and in shock right now.

After avoiding “the noise”. I rearranged my burritos in the glove box and a day at Silverstar produced the “2x4” clap sound against the glove box door. Jammed my burritos back in the way I had, had them. Dampened the sound.

No noise when it’s jammed solid.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 22:39 Quote
MindPatterns wrote:
nubbs wrote:
MindPatterns wrote:
V1 owners, are you running a spacer with your bottom bracket? I'm using the SRAM DBU BSA and have no spacer installed, so far it seems to work but I was wondering how MT owner run their BBs.

No spacers on BB cups. 4.5mm outer right spacer for chain line.

Thanks, that's my current setup, tool. The wear of the SRAM DUB BB is absymal, though

I've found the dub bb to be better than most stock options from other brands. Depends on many factors though..

Currently using wheels mfg angular contact bb 30mm and it's very nice. I don't use SRAM cranks anymore.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 11:59 Quote
photo

I went over all the bolts and screws, and rearranged the storage box in my v2 frame, and now its completely silent! Only some chain slap (?) on really rough terrain at speed, but mostly dead silent now, along with the Onyx hubs for more stealth.

Really loving this bike now that it's dialed in. Haven't ridden my ebike in weeks, but i plan on taking it out soon.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 12:31 Quote
Common issue on MT2 is the UDH not fitting in the frame correctly. There was a back order on Sram UDH's so Santa Cruz machined their own. Unfortunately they are a tiny bit too small for the space which allows them to shift around slightly when the derailleur loads and unloads..causing exaggerated chain slap noise.

I've got a sram UDH on order for mine

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 12:49 Quote
Just received my UDH from Worldwide Cyclery earlier today and am about to swap out the stock SC UDH, along with the pullleys on my GX AXS. I'll report back if I notice any differences in chain slap noise or feel.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 8:19 Quote
I put STFU on my v1 and rode it for the first time yesterday and it’s super silent. Chain slap seems to be the issue for noises. I don’t think the small ribs on the chainstay protector offer much in the way of silence

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 8:50 Quote
Never had a issue with chain slap on my Megatower. xo1 rear mech seems to work just fine. How many of you are suffering from chain slap?

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 9:01 Quote
This is a common v2 issue, my v1 with over 9000 km didn't have this issue.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 9:08 Quote
Glad to hear the stfu works well on the v1. Got one I've been waiting to fit

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 9:23 Quote
Only thing I noticed when I test rode the v2 was the axs rear mech constantly making micro adjustments sounds on climbs. no idea if this is a issue or not, but it was like nails down a chalk board.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 9:31 Quote
sharpy182 wrote:
Only thing I noticed when I test rode the v2 was the axs rear mech constantly making micro adjustments sounds on climbs. no idea if this is a issue or not, but it was like nails down a chalk board.

I've never heard of AXS doing that and can't understand why it would. I don't have AXS - probably never will - but I'm really curious about this anyway.

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 9:36 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
sharpy182 wrote:

I've never heard of AXS doing that and can't understand why it would. I don't have AXS - probably never will - but I'm really curious about this anyway.

Yeah I was pretty strange, it was on a guided demo day. gears were shifting great….. but just ‘Zip zip…..zip……zip’ up the climbs. like when the suspension would be working slightly. if that’s how it is normally……. I couldn’t ride with it.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 13:29 Quote
My v2 has AXS, as well as my ebike, as well as my previous 3 bikes I sold. Never had that problem. AXS stuff is gold in my opinion. Well worth the price and weight.

It only makes the “zip” sound while shifting between gears. I like the sound actually.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 14:00 Quote
fredro wrote:
My v2 has AXS, as well as my ebike, as well as my previous 3 bikes I sold. Never had that problem. AXS stuff is gold in my opinion. Well worth the price and weight.

It only makes the “zip” sound while shifting between gears. I like the sound actually.

That's what I thought is was supposed to do - only zip, zip if you're actively shifting. Sounds like OP had a strange shifter issue.

And I hope I didn't come across as an AXS hater. I think it's really cool I just probably won't ever set money aside to budget for it - plus I'm old and I'm very well practiced with the cables. Now if somebody wants to gift me an AXS system I'll be ready to install...Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011490
Mobile Version of Website