Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 12:57 Quote
PJJ205 wrote:
Just received my UDH from Worldwide Cyclery earlier today and am about to swap out the stock SC UDH, along with the pullleys on my GX AXS. I'll report back if I notice any differences in chain slap noise or feel.

any news, did you notice any difference?

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 12:59 Quote
Aledupre01 wrote:
PJJ205 wrote:
Just received my UDH from Worldwide Cyclery earlier today and am about to swap out the stock SC UDH, along with the pullleys on my GX AXS. I'll report back if I notice any differences in chain slap noise or feel.

any news, did you notice any difference?

Yeah, rode it yesterday and it is definitely quieter and the rattling isn't nearly as bad. For less than $20.00, it doesn't hurt to swap yours out and see how it feels.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 13:37 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Well I'm baffled today. I got my bike back from the shop fellow who had test ridden it and confirmed it is making the same noise as him. He is quite a bit heavier and a little taller than I am so he had the setup changed up a good bit.

Today my plan was to do some experimenting; A lap with no bottle on the cage and glovebox lid on and nothing in glovebox. A lap with bottle on cage and nothing in glovebox. A lap with no glovebox lid installed and nothing in glovebox. a lap with storage burritos in glovebox and bottle on cage. A lap with no chain. Just to test all the theories mentioned.

Woke up and adjusted everything on the bike to my preferred settings. Went for a full top to bottom lap of South Benson's fastest, roughest trails. Bike is feeling amazing, I'm feeling pretty good on it....and amazingly...NO NOISE.

Second lap, loaded up the glovebox with the tube burrito and tire levers. Put a bottle in the cage and went at it again.

Still no noise... I do not know what has changed. All I can think is perhaps moving the seat post up and down changed the position of the dropper cable?? Or somehow having the suspension pressures adjusted up significantly higher and having it ridden by a heavier person, then brought back down changed things?!

I am at a loss as to why, but the noise is gone. I'm actually a little embarrassed as I have been making such a big deal of this, loosing sleep as its been stressing me out...

..but actually I am so damn happy. The bike is quiet, feels amazing, I've been getting top ten times and other PR's on it and I'm not even used to the bike yet.

Kind of giddy and in shock right now.

was that the sound? like the one in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dgQ8zgXGKw

the strange thing that I have seen other videos that the bicycle does not sound at all like in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3w9hUMhM0c&t=97s

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 15:37 Quote
I'm honestly having a hard time telling what I'm hearing in that video. Couldn't say, maybe?

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 14:52 Quote
This might have been asked already so forgive me. Has anyone setup a 2023 as a mullet?

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 14:59 Quote
Samb3297 wrote:
This might have been asked already so forgive me. Has anyone setup a 2023 as a mullet?

Buy a nomad v6, the mullet megatower v2

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 15:00 Quote
I already have a mega v2. Just wanted to get ride impressions of it changed to mullet.

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 13:49 Quote
Recently got my v2 megatower and it's seriously bugging me.
There's a really wooden sortve noise coming from the rear end, I can replicate the noise by just riding of a curb it's not a huge noise but it's concerning.
I've removed, bottle, door, internal storage bags, even mech and chain but it still makes this noise. I've also swapped out the SC hanger for a udh SRAM, nothing. I also swapped finned pads to un finnes. And I've tried the shock (set up to SC suggested settings) with less air...

Any ideas... I'm pissed off with this frame already

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 13:54 Quote
DT Swiss rear axle with the handle? Those can clack. I run mine vertical to minimize the sound.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 13:55 Quote
hhaaiirryy wrote:
There's a really wooden sortve noise coming from the rear end, I can replicate the noise by just riding of a curb it's not a huge noise but it's concerning.
I've removed, bottle, door, internal storage bags, even mech and chain but it still makes this noise. I've also swapped out the SC hanger for a udh SRAM, nothing. I also swapped finned pads to un finnes. And I've tried the shock (set up to SC suggested settings) with less air...

Can you record and get a video uploaded?

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 14:03 Quote
sharpy182 wrote:
hhaaiirryy wrote:

Can you record and get a video uploaded?

I'm gonna try to get one soon. Meanwhile I'll be trying a different wheel and attempting to disect wtf is making noise. No dt swiss axle, them things suck.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 14:52 Quote
Might try swapping out the shock. Had that issue with my norco range and it turned out that Fox forgot to put loctite on the shock body where it screws together.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 15:17 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
DT Swiss rear axle with the handle? Those can clack. I run mine vertical to minimize the sound.

MT2 comes with Burgtec allen head axle. Tidy little piece

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 23:02 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:

this was the culprit on my v1 too. I've put a small piece of tape between the lever body and the axle itself.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 5:40 Quote
Cables in the seat stays maybe...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011405
Mobile Version of Website