Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 12:12 Quote
So my noisy megatower v2
Firstly this is how tight the bearings are in the lower link
https://youtube.com/shorts/weqmPqmmElI?feature=share
Then the noise
https://youtube.com/shorts/vTtBUYPZNmc?feature=share roughly half way through as I ride off the tiny curb (hope it's noticeable)

I've losened the bearings a touch so they actually turn now, they hardly turned before.
I've rode the bike with no mech cassette disc , different wheel, no cranks, I'm really at a loss wtf it can be. I'm not happy with the bearings hardly moving they've clearly been pressed in too hard or the tolerance is out on the bearing seat, or bearing. Well not happy.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 13:40 Quote
My v1 had a factory issue where the pivot bolt threads were too long and the bearings smashed the threads flat. The bearings should have been sat on the bolt shaft. Ended up knackering the frame but they did loads to correct the error. Are the bolts correct?

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 13:43 Quote
lance2012 wrote:
My v1 had a factory issue where the pivot bolt threads were too long and the bearings smashed the threads flat. The bearings should have been sat on the bolt shaft. Ended up knackering the frame but they did loads to correct the error. Are the bolts correct?

Yes the bolts look to be correct

O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 22:30 Quote
Very strange indeed. see that you’ve striped everything else off around it. Definitely sounds like something make contact somewhere.

Have you had a look inside the shock? sounds like it was happening on bottom end of the stroke?

Posted: Sep 6, 2022 at 5:44 Quote
hhaaiirryy wrote:
So my noisy megatower v2
Firstly this is how tight the bearings are in the lower link
https://youtube.com/shorts/weqmPqmmElI?feature=share
Then the noise
https://youtube.com/shorts/vTtBUYPZNmc?feature=share roughly half way through as I ride off the tiny curb (hope it's noticeable)

I've losened the bearings a touch so they actually turn now, they hardly turned before.
I've rode the bike with no mech cassette disc , different wheel, no cranks, I'm really at a loss wtf it can be. I'm not happy with the bearings hardly moving they've clearly been pressed in too hard or the tolerance is out on the bearing seat, or bearing. Well not happy.

Do you have the foam tubes installed on the brake/shifter cables at the seat stay?

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 18:18 Quote
Had a question for you guys. I might just be freaking myself out here....

I just got a 2019 Megatower. Are the rear triangles meant to my symmetrical on these frames? I just noticed on my last ride but it seems like the left side (especially near the linkage) almost curves out more than the right. I assume this could be to compensate for the chain ring on the right side, but I dont think I have noticed it on other bikes before? I had a hard bottom out on a previous ride so a little concerned I may have moved something.

Attached some pics:

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 20:27 Quote
cyclebean wrote:

I just got a 2019 Megatower. Are the rear triangles meant to my symmetrical on these frames? I just noticed on my last ride but it seems like the left side (especially near the linkage) almost curves out more than the right. I assume this could be to compensate for the chain ring on the right side, but I dont think I have noticed it on other bikes before? I had a hard bottom out on a previous ride so a little concerned I may have moved something.

Attached some pics:

You went so fast it melted!

Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 22:26 Quote
I’d be more concerned with your socks.

Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 6:53 Quote
Afaik the sides are not symmetric if you carefully look

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 7:43 Quote
Rear triangle is not symmetrical.

Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 7:47 Quote
My HT is the same. Carbon will not deform like that.

Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 7:56 Quote
cyclebean wrote:

Attached some pics:

Mine is the same (MT V1)

Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 11:37 Quote
fredro wrote:
I’d be more concerned with your socks.

lol lol

Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 16:50 Quote
Megatower v1 owners, the bearing mount for the stock super deluxe keeps getting play. Ordered a brand new bearing kit and still play after two rides. Any known fixes?

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 17:39 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
Megatower v1 owners, the bearing mount for the stock super deluxe keeps getting play. Ordered a brand new bearing kit and still play after two rides. Any known fixes?

newer better shock bolts and flip chips.

or pull the bearings and install better quality. Generally speaking all bearings on bicycle parts are pretty crap.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013793
Mobile Version of Website