Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 9:38 Quote
Before buying the bike I demo'd it with the stock air shock with a megneg as well as a push 11/6 (demo'd in low setting). I can't remember the settings from the demo, but the air shock felt really supportive but a bit harsh until you really got up to speed. Never felt like I was blowing through travel. I did however find that enormous wall of progression at the end stroke. The 11/6 felt supportive as well but just a little more sensitive off the top and felt better at lower speeds as well if that makes sense.

Currently I am on the super deluxe ultimate coil shock in the high setting. 215 lbs with a 600 pound spring (30% sag) with 2 clicks LSC and 8 clicks rebound. Feels really nice so far. Nice and supportive for jumps but plenty plush for rough stuff.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 11:16 Quote
jhowlett wrote:

Yes bike is blasting through the midstroke.
I’m managing to bottom it even on features that my old bike wouldn’t.

I had the same issue and ended up with a gnar dog token if I remember right. That stopped harsh bottom outs but it still used at least 85% of the travel anytime my wheels left the ground. So it still felt supportive. I was worried bottoming out too easily would be an issue on more linear shocks (like the X2 and coil shocks) however it's been much better. Having decent midstroke support goes a long way from keeping the shock from always diving into the end of the stroke.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 14:22 Quote
Anyone have experience running a 230x60 shock? Im planning on taking the spacer out of my super deluxe coil and was wondering if I should run more sag or the same as with the spacer? thanks

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 17:27 Quote
Bstat918 wrote:
Anyone have experience running a 230x60 shock? Im planning on taking the spacer out of my super deluxe coil and was wondering if I should run more sag or the same as with the spacer? thanks

Yeah it came up in this thread already. I'm running a 60mm DHX2. You should put just enough preload on the spring so it isn't loose (1-2 turns) if you need more go up in spring rate. I'm running what SC would recommend for the 57.5mm stroke shock and it's what Fox recommended. I never bothered measuring sag.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 12:50 Quote
Hey for those of you storing a tube and a co2, what/where is the best way to store them on the frame?

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 13:20 Quote
605endurbro wrote:
Hey for those of you storing a tube and a co2, what/where is the best way to store them on the frame?

One up 100c pump and tubolito strapped near headtube

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 14:57 Quote
bikefuturist wrote:
605endurbro wrote:

+1 for the OneUp, though I store mine in the steerer tube with the OneUp EDC Top Cap. Tube with tire plugs and CO2 inflator strapped to the top tube near the seat.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
Currently running a 32t Sram Eagle chainring that came with the bike, always find myself using the middle range of gear on the 12 speed cassette, rarely in the bottom cog on decents, and find the top two cogs just over kill on up hills, almost to easy. Anyone else felt this or experimented with different size front chainring? Reading through the post already on the forum and some really good stuff getting posted, we are all looking to get the best out of our bikes and it’s great to see people sharing their findings.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 11:22 Quote
sharpy182 wrote:
Currently running a 32t Sram Eagle chainring that came with the bike, always find myself using the middle range of gear on the 12 speed cassette, rarely in the bottom cog on decents, and find the top two cogs just over kill on up hills, almost to easy. Anyone else felt this or experimented with different size front chainring? Reading through the post already on the forum and some really good stuff getting posted, we are all looking to get the best out of our bikes and it’s great to see people sharing their findings.

Are you sure it's 32t? Stock is 30t. If you're not using the bottom or top, then you aren't using the full range which is the whole point of Eagle 12 spd. You could go to an 11spd setup to save weight, but honestly you're probably best off just sticking with what you have. If you're finding you're most often in the middle of your cassette, then that's an indication that you have the best size chainring on there already. If you go up or down in size, all you'll do is shift where you're spending more time up or down the cassette...

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 14:11 Quote
Yeah, just checked on the bike definitely a 32t then I checked the santacruz website and it is met to be a 30t, uk distribution once again pleasing themselves with what parts to go on. Dropper post, tyres and headset all wasn’t what was listed on the spec. haha now I’m curious to what different the proper size chainring would make?

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 17:22 Quote
A 30 would have you using even less of the climbing gears.

I run a 32 on mine but use every single gear in the course of a normal ride. If your terrain isn’t requiring the full range there is nothing wrong with it. It may just be eagle isn’t necessary.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 9:07 Quote
I find the easiest gear 32x50 great for keeping one's heart rate down on the uphill access trail when sessioning at a trail center. For trail riding sometimes too, but then again some sections are easier with more speed and higher gear.

Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 13:24 Quote
FWIW, I'm running a 30T oval ring (OneUp) and a max 46T rear cog.

Unless I properly weigh down the rear wheel and keep myself centered on the bike, I find the 46T can cause the rear wheel to spin out.

Posted: Apr 14, 2020 at 3:53 Quote
bikefuturist wrote:
605endurbro wrote:

i would've answered earlier but this forum won't let me post pics from an Iphone apparently.

so this is how i store my tube at a enduro race - taped it under the shock in that gap with tape in plastic....bought a quite light one, though. won't be able to put a DH tube there. It has been there ever since.

CO2 cartridge easily fits under your saddle. I just put it there. I simply put black duct tape. works fine so far.
asd

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 6:12 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
boomshakkalagga wrote:
On these chainstay flip chip comments earlier: Did you folks check your rear hub bearings?

I had my rear wheel acting funny; and the bearings went from having a kinda wobbly rear wheel to completely shredded bearings super quick. Replacing them fixed the issue.

What hub do you have?

I used to have DT Swiss and I think the issue is that simply the bearings are getting squeezed over time.

Since I switched to Syntace hubs it’s all good. They allow to “lock” the axial force via screw end caps. Brilliant.
The freehub is a little noisy, but prime product and ship internationally even for free and without VAT.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007737
Mobile Version of Website