Troy Lee D4

PB Forum :: Downhill
Troy Lee D4
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 11:09 Quote
Are we gonna see a new Troy Lee D4 this season? The dont have too many colors of D3 Carbon up on the site so I am wondering if a new one is imminent.

I will get the new Rampage if the TLD doesnt come out with D4. Fluid thing on the Rampage could be a gimmick but I dont want to take any chances with a concussion.

Trek thing actually looks better to me than the fluid but they dont have a full face.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 10:56 Quote
As much as I agree with you, would like to see an update. I really love my D3. I really don’t think we will because they recently released the Stage series.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 11:14 Quote
There have not been any prototypes spotted as of yet, so my best guess is we won´t see a D4 before 2020.
TLD tend to release helmets mid season, so i wouldn´t give too much on the missing colours. They also give protos to team riders, so the lack of any protos indicates they´re quite a few days out still.
That said, the D3 is a great helmet and if it fits your head, i´d just get another one.
I was checking out the new Fox 2 weeks ago and it looks really sweet. Extremely thick and dense padding inside, and a lot of it. Not just a flimsy liner but real cushioning for your head. Not sure about the gel pads as they seemed rather hard, but then again i´d trust that helmet over 95% of competitors based on the padding alone.
I say buy whichever fits your head and/or wallet better. Both are class leading in my opinion.

If the D3 fits your head perfect, like it does for me, i´d suggest checking out the new Bell Full 9 Fusion as well.
Really solid product and fits on my head like a glove. Good padding and MIPS as well as a great price.
Maybe you can get the Bell to bridge the gap till a D4 is released if you´re not willing to commit to the Fox´s price yet.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 11:21 Quote
My D3 carbon mips is fine but I honestly dont see any real concussion protection with it. Dont believe the mips will actually achieve anything in a full face, may do a little something in a half shell.

I am wanting a full face with some real concussion protection. This is clearly the next evolution in these helmets and I am sure the new tld will have something other than mips

Loki87 wrote:
There have not been any prototypes spotted as of yet, so my best guess is we won´t see a D4 before 2020.
TLD tend to release helmets mid season, so i wouldn´t give too much on the missing colours. They also give protos to team riders, so the lack of any protos indicates they´re quite a few days out still.
That said, the D3 is a great helmet and if it fits your head, i´d just get another one.
I was checking out the new Fox 2 weeks ago and it looks really sweet. Extremely thick and dense padding inside, and a lot of it. Not just a flimsy liner but real cushioning for your head. Not sure about the gel pads as they seemed rather hard, but then again i´d trust that helmet over 95% of competitors based on the padding alone.
I say buy whichever fits your head and/or wallet better. Both are class leading in my opinion.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 11:31 Quote
mastakilla wrote:
My D3 carbon mips is fine but I honestly dont see any real concussion protection with it. Dont believe the mips will actually achieve anything in a full face, may do a little something in a half shell.

I am wanting a full face with some real concussion protection. This is clearly the next evolution in these helmets and I am sure the new tld will have something other than mips

Loki87 wrote:

MIPS and the gel apds aren´t concussion protection per se though.
They are there to lessen the impact of rotational forces and as you say i myself don´t see these technologies do too much in a fullface either.
If you want concussion protection the best thing imho is to get as much padding as possible for increased deceleration in an impact.
Manufacturers have all hyped us on their fancy tech, yet often times things like MIPS take up valuable space which leads to reduced thickness in material of the shell or liner. Given the fact that the claims they make about their proprietary tech aren´t yet backed by any real scientific proof, i personally wouldn´t put too much emphasis on these techs.
For me the best compromise atm is the Fox.
It has more padding than any other helmet i´ve tried, the gel pads supposedly protect against rotational forces and i highly suspect that they are pretty decent in distributing forces in the case of a direct impact too, so they kinda serve a double purpose.
Kali´s shell technology is another interesting option for me, as their multi layer faom is definitely a step in the right direction.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 1:50 Quote
The D4 is literally about to drop. All new over brow ventilation. New padding on the inside similar to the Stages Helmet. Look up Monsterbike on Facebook, bike shop in Scotland that have posted a video of the new 2020 stuff

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 11:51 Quote
I ended up with a new rampage and and pretty happy with it. Lot more padding then my d3 carbon mips. Seems like a safer helmet. The FI pods seem like a decent addition, and better than the MIPS by my hunch. Although I do think they could be more substantial.

Rampage is tight to get on though, trickier to get it on with earbuds.

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 16:14 Quote
I think the new helmet was spotted in the latest RAW 100

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
Hey Guys,
D4 is not about to drop, if you mean in the next couple months haha.

One could guess that it is coming, 2020 sounds right.

Someone mentioned 'padding similar' to the stage, not exactly. While we worked to improve the ventilation on the D4, it's not like the stage design which our goal was to create the safest / most ventilated helmet....D4 mission was to take the legendary D3 and add some new safety innovation and not forget about adding some airflow.

Stay tuned, but, not in 2019-maybe.
D3 carbon just dropped in 2 new colorways, they might be collectors items if you know what I mean!

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 11:28 Quote
troyleedesigns wrote:
Hey Guys,

Someone mentioned 'padding similar' to the stage, not exactly. While we worked to improve the ventilation on the D4, it's not like the stage design which our goal was to create the safest / most ventilated helmet....D4 mission was to take the legendary D3 and add some new safety innovation and not forget about adding some airflow.

D3 carbon just dropped in 2 new colorways, they might be collectors items if you know what I mean!

So how do you explain MonsterBike bikeshop in Scotland is teasing us so early with a video showing it ?
I mean how is it possible that they've already received it if it's not about to drop ?
I don't know how it works but it sound strange that dealers received the not about to drop products so long before the release date.

Check their videos about TLD products
https://m.facebook.com/Monsterbikeshop/?locale2=en_GB

O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 20:13 Quote
Gonna let an industry secret. Most of us, show dealers a preline, to have them book for the following season-its called "prebooking", see the helmets, make your order. They do not keep the helmets.

julienhaller wrote:
troyleedesigns wrote:
Hey Guys,

So how do you explain MonsterBike bikeshop in Scotland is teasing us so early with a video showing it ?
I mean how is it possible that they've already received it if it's not about to drop ?
I don't know how it works but it sound strange that dealers received the not about to drop products so long before the release date.

Check their videos about TLD products
https://m.facebook.com/Monsterbikeshop/?locale2=en_GB

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 18:01 Quote
I saw these pictures in a comment of a previous Pinkbike article on the unreleased D4, I think they came from the monsterbikeshop video people are talking about on this thread but that looks like it has since been removed. https://m.facebook.com/Monsterbikeshop/?locale2=en_GB

Here's the helmet for all those interested.

https://imgur.com/a/zgEA9Vy

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 0:11 Quote
mastakilla wrote:
Are we gonna see a new Troy Lee D4 this season? The dont have too many colors of D3 Carbon up on the site so I am wondering if a new one is imminent.

I will get the new Rampage if the TLD doesnt come out with D4. Fluid thing on the Rampage could be a gimmick but I dont want to take any chances with a concussion.

Trek thing actually looks better to me than the fluid but they dont have a full face.

I cannot give feedback on the release of the D4. But I can give feedback on the new Rampage.
I recently got the RPC Beast Silver. The helmet feels very safe, is pretty good ventilated, I came from a Fox ProFrame. In the beginning the helmet is pretty tight to put on, but over time it get's a bit easier.

Love my Fox RPC.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 15:41 Quote
I just want cooler designs. Troy lee has the sickest moto helmet graphics then their bike helmets are just plain jane.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009764
Mobile Version of Website