Rs pike or reveleation or canecreek helm air

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Rs pike or reveleation or canecreek helm air
Previous Page |
Posted: May 2, 2019 at 16:38 Quote
Hi Guys,

started to be back on my bike after so many years - and have seen huge changes.

i got a marin san quentin 2 - currently thinking of upgrading the forks.

i know that the revelation isnt supposed to be in the list because the pike and helm i believe are in a league of their own.

question is which is better? pike or helm? and is the revelation that far from both? i usually ride not too rough trails nothing very hardcore. serviceability is not a problem since our local shop handles both brands. thinking of running still with 130mm travel

thanks
Jed

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 16:44 Quote
Go for what ever is cheapest id say pike has slight performance advantage and if something big goes wrong on the fork sram is much faster and easier to deal with.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 19:52 Quote
@campbell

appreciate the reply. i was sort of thinking the same thing - i do not really ride hardcore and i would say that the revelation is enough. but would still be glad to hear if there are also other opinions.

once again thanks

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 23:42 Quote
jedvidlim wrote:
@campbell

appreciate the reply. i was sort of thinking the same thing - i do not really ride hardcore and i would say that the revelation is enough. but would still be glad to hear if there are also other opinions.

once again thanks

If you can find a newer Revelation take off for a good price I'd go for it. The new ones have beefier stanctions 35 mm vs the older models. My guess is for the price of the newer revelation, you could spend the same amount for a pike that's 3 to 4 years old, and will most often than not need a major service, costing an additional 200.00 usd or so.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 1:58 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
jedvidlim wrote:
@campbell

once again thanks

If you can find a newer Revelation take off for a good price I'd go for it. The new ones have beefier stanctions 35 mm vs the older models. My guess is for the price of the newer revelation, you could spend the same amount for a pike that's 3 to 4 years old, and will most often than not need a major service, costing an additional 200.00 usd or so.

Listen to that man ^

The 2019 Revelation and Pike share the same chassis, and both have the Debonair spring, so breakaway force and smallbump compliance is great to say the least. The only difference is the damper, and Motion Control is perfectly adequate if you're not into anything huge.
My brother runs a Recon on his hardtail, and he's not held back at all, neither by the smaller stanctions nor the "inferior" damper. So the Revelation is a great cost-effective alternative, especially the 35mm versions with Debonair.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 3:00 Quote
SkipSkovhugger wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:
jedvidlim wrote:
@campbell

once again thanks

Listen to that man ^

The 2019 Revelation and Pike share the same chassis, and both have the Debonair spring, so breakaway force and smallbump compliance is great to say the least. The only difference is the damper, and Motion Control is perfectly adequate if you're not into anything huge.
My brother runs a Recon on his hardtail, and he's not held back at all, neither by the smaller stanctions nor the "inferior" damper. So the Revelation is a great cost-effective alternative, especially the 35mm versions with Debonair.

really appreciate the inputs.

@skip
well, there is the revelation charger RC, but i am not sure if this has already been discontinued since i do not see a price in the SRAM page.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 5:24 Quote
jedvidlim wrote:
SkipSkovhugger wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:

Listen to that man ^

really appreciate the inputs.

@skip
well, there is the revelation charger RC, but i am not sure if this has already been discontinued since i do not see a price in the SRAM page.

Never actually seen them for sale, could be OEM only.
It's definitely the 2018+ chassis.
But a Revelation Charger RC would for all intents and purposes be a.... A1/A2 Pike Confused lol (35mm chassis with Charger 1 damper)

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 19:52 Quote
will be running revs in a few weeeks! Big Grin thanks guyyys!

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 22:57 Quote
jedvidlim wrote:
will be running revs in a few weeeks! Big Grin thanks guyyys!

oh.. wait up. there's the rs 35 thats been released.. i am thinking that this is a rev got 35mm stanchions, debonair and mc dampers.. hmmm ????

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 23:09 Quote
Also, kinda late I know, but make sure the steerer tube is at least as long as it is on the fork you have now, you can always cut it if it's to long, but if it's to short, your outta luck.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 7:06 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
Also, kinda late I know, but make sure the steerer tube is at least as long as it is on the fork you have now, you can always cut it if it's to long, but if it's to short, your outta luck.

copy. Smile the owner of the shop is a close friend. ill make sure to tell them.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
I'd at least go for a Pike. The motion control's problem is not big hits, it's successive ones. Hit a few bumps fast enough and it struggles.

I've upgraded my Yari with debonair and it's an improvement over the stock air spring, but still is inferior to my friends' pikes. Still on ok fork, but since you're upgrading, why not go all the way?

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 15:56 Quote
As above. I got the latest revelation. It's successive hits. Small or big and the damper just quite.
I upgraded to an oil open bath damper for £150. It's now better than a pike Smile

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 18:25 Quote
justwan-naride wrote:
I'd at least go for a Pike. The motion control's problem is not big hits, it's successive ones. Hit a few bumps fast enough and it struggles.

I've upgraded my Yari with debonair and it's an improvement over the stock air spring, but still is inferior to my friends' pikes. Still on ok fork, but since you're upgrading, why not go all the way?

so between the revelation and pike.. the only difference are the dampers? revs using motion control and pike using charger?

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019408
Mobile Version of Website