So how long do we think it will take the 27.5 to go out like the 26?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
So how long do we think it will take the 27.5 to go out like the 26?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 3, 2019 at 12:45 Quote
It seems like 29 is taking over. A lot of bike company's are offering their builds in both 29 and 27.5. I see a lot of people giving up their 27.5's to grab a 29. With longer travel and DH 29ers coming onto the scene it seems that the wheel size is becoming the norm.

Just curious to as what others think? I also think it's a good time to buy a 27.5 as people seem to be giving them up to move onto the big wheels.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 14:20 Quote
stumphumper92 wrote:
It seems like 29 is taking over. A lot of bike company's are offering their builds in both 29 and 27.5. I see a lot of people giving up their 27.5's to grab a 29. With longer travel and DH 29ers coming onto the scene it seems that the wheel size is becoming the norm.

Just curious to as what others think? I also think it's a good time to buy a 27.5 as people seem to be giving them up to move onto the big wheels.

I moved on to 29's and can't wait to go back to 27.5.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 14:21 Quote
Explodo wrote:
stumphumper92 wrote:

What bike did you get? I like my giant trance but have been looking to upgrade. Lot of good deals on 27.5's out there.

I am also about 6ft. I feel that the 29ers make more sense for taller people?

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 14:26 Quote
stumphumper92 wrote:
Explodo wrote:
stumphumper92 wrote:

What bike did you get? I like my giant trance but have been looking to upgrade. Lot of good deals on 27.5's out there.

I'm on a Ripmo. I'm not tall, so while I can ride the 29s just fine, I prefer a higher volume 27.5. I wish I had gotten a Pivot Switchblade instead. The bike was a gift from my wife.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 14:54 Quote
Explodo wrote:
stumphumper92 wrote:
Explodo wrote:

I'm on a Ripmo. I'm not tall, so while I can ride the 29s just fine, I prefer a higher volume 27.5. I wish I had gotten a Pivot Switchblade instead. The bike was a gift from my wife.
Same as you, I am like 5’8 and used to ride a fuel ex. Just sold it and got a banshee spitfire and like the smaller wheels better. So glad I did that.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 15:30 Quote
It won't because not everyone is over 6 foot. There is a real need for a smaller wheel size (outside racing).

If 27" died it would be a reversion back to 26" for kids and smaller people. But the size difference is so minor (1" in rim diameter) that it's pointless.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 16:27 Quote
I’m 5’6” and instantly felt comfortable on 29er. A 26” felt like a kids bike after just one ride on 29er to me. I think the more people try 29 the more we’ll see riding 29.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 18:10 Quote
I currently have 7 bikes and all three wheels sizes.
I enjoy the piss out of all three sizes.
They all have strengths and weaknesses.
I think there is more than enough room for all!

O+
Posted: May 3, 2019 at 21:19 Quote
I have been riding 29er hardtails since 1999. Bought a ti Honzo back in 2016 and thought it would be my "ideal bike." Now three years later I have a 27.5 Ti Hardtail, a 27.5 150/150 Evil and my Honzo has a 27.5 rear wheel.

I think of wheel size like downhill skis. 27.5 are more like a carving ski (when you think about the wheel turned on it's side) while a 29 is more like a powder ski. A smaller wheel will carve with a smaller arc when turned on it's side. Don't think I will buy another 29. I sure hope 27.5 never goes out of style like 26 did. And, I'm 6'2".

This is all I need to explain why smaller wheels are better for some riding. This would be a totally different video on 29.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 21:21 Quote
I love 27.5 wheels. I would stop riding bikes if they were only made with 29ers. I am tall too, but I just like smaller wheels.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 2:06 Quote
slope wrote:
I currently have 7 bikes and all three wheels sizes.
I enjoy the piss out of all three sizes.
They all have strengths and weaknesses.
I think there is more than enough room for all!

Me too (only got 5 though), love all the wheel sizes. I can't see 27.5 becoming obsolete, frankenbikes will be the next big thing, so availability of 27.5 will remain. Even if they stop making 27.5 frames and forks (which I can't see happening due to market for women and smaller riders) you could still run the smaller wheels on a 29 frame and fork (works for Ratboy) with shorter cranks to compensate for lower BB.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 14:20 Quote
I've tried 29er, currently own one, it's my 2nd 29er, as an XC / Commuter bike they make sense to me on flat un made tracks / paths, once up to speed roll well and smooth things out a bit in the saddle. I will never buy a 29er for my proper riding or racing, I find they just feel too cumbersome on tight twisty tech, they are just not as fun to ride so I sure hope 650b sticks around. I'm with the crowd that thinks they are height / build dependant, I'm 5'10" average build and having ridden with and seen plenty of guys 6'2" and taller on them they just look right and seem to get on well, so 29er certainly is the way to go for some people, but not me I love my 650b's. I'm surprised manufacturers have not gone 5'5" 26, 5'5" - 6' 650b, >5'11 29 or similar, size the whole bike to the rider not just the frame.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 20:34 Quote
I'll admit I have yet to try clown wheels. I'm intrigued however because I remember how it felt going to 27.5 from 26. At first, it felt huge and unwieldily but then quickly felt right and as agile as I remember. Will 29 be the same or is it "over the line"? This leads to another question; why not 30.5 or beyond? What is the practical limit? I suppose it's different for different people.
Though it would require a huge effort and lots of "one off" parts, someone should do a test where they run the same course with many different wheel sizes, even above 29. Different types of courses as well. See what's fastest for different conditions. Keep going larger until it's detrimental to the time. It would only be accurate for that individual, but interesting and possibly applicable for others as well.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2019 at 21:33 Quote
I think it has been decided that 29 is the "fastest" wheel size for all disciplines on almost every race course. That being said, it doesn't necessarily mean the most enjoyable to ride. If your jam is to fly down every run at warp speed, then 29 is probably your wheel. If you want a more responsive ride and a bit more maneuverability on the trail, you won't like 29 as well.

My wife, who is 5'7", has been looking for a new rig. She tried 29 and 27.5. She wants something that makes the steep gnar less gnarls. 29 was the easy winner. Amazingly her medium 29er has a longer wheelbase than all my large sized bikes. I tried the megatower, her favorite ride, and although it is an incredible ride, it was not for me. It was not comfortable to manual or bunyhop, which takes away about half of my fun on the trail. My wife, on the other hand, doesn't like to get up on her back wheel. She is happiest with both wheels firmly on the ground. Different strokes for different folks, but I doubt 27.5 is done for.

Posted: May 6, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
reedholden wrote:
I have been riding 29er hardtails since 1999. Bought a ti Honzo back in 2016 and thought it would be my "ideal bike." Now three years later I have a 27.5 Ti Hardtail, a 27.5 150/150 Evil and my Honzo has a 27.5 rear wheel.

I think of wheel size like downhill skis. 27.5 are more like a carving ski (when you think about the wheel turned on it's side) while a 29 is more like a powder ski. A smaller wheel will carve with a smaller arc when turned on it's side. Don't think I will buy another 29. I sure hope 27.5 never goes out of style like 26 did. And, I'm 6'2".

This is all I need to explain why smaller wheels are better for some riding. This would be a totally different video on 29.

27.5" will die and 26" will return for most trail riding.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010430
Mobile Version of Website