Gravel/Road tire options

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Gravel/Road tire options
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 3, 2019 at 13:59 Quote
I've been scouring the internet for a tire that I would consider more gravel friendly than most of the monster lugs we use in snow. Anyone using anything they'd like to share? Some of the tires I've narrowed it down to so far:

Airsun Big Smoothy - not so great reviews

This non-labeled tire, it reminds me of the SOMA Cazadero - https://www.amazon.com/4-0-Bicycle-Tire-Black-P-1215/dp/B06WP8683W/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=Fat+Bike+tires&qid=1556916801&s=gateway&sr=8-11

Vee tires Chicane - I don't like that it's only 3.5" wide, but it would definitely cut down on rolling resistance

Origin8 Captiv 8er - again 3.5"

Keep in mind I ride Slicks on most gravel rides on my Gravel bikes, rarely do I need big lugs. I can't imagine needing anything more than what I've posted. What are you riding?

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 6:47 Quote
I decided to buy a pair of Vee Speedsters. They make a multi-compound tire that is tubeless ready. I'll post up after I put a couple of gravel rides on them.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 17:44 Quote
I tried the maxis 4.0 x 26 fat bike tires and. Was thoroughly impressed with their performance on gravel. Even glossed down a big gap on a rider on 27.5. They measure out at more like 3.8 but measure twice and buy once. # maxxis fbr,Salute l also like the vee but would only ride maxxis fb after trying,,Dead Horse

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 21:15 Quote
You should still be able to track down a 3.8" Surly Black Floyd with 120 tpi casing.

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 15:18 Quote
TheRo0sTer wrote:
I decided to buy a pair of Vee Speedsters. They make a multi-compound tire that is tubeless ready. I'll post up after I put a couple of gravel rides on them.

I’m running speedsters on my Moonlander which is my commuter bike. They roll fast, provide the cushy ride I wanted and I haven’t had traction issues on gravel. They self steer a bit which is annoying. I’ve played with the psi to reduce it. They are terrible on certain types of snow and ice. I installed them this spring and rode them on crusty snow and they were fine, thin slush across the bike path was fine. But one morning the crust snow was beginning to melt from a warm wind and it was a little slick to walk on. I couldn’t ride it on my bike, just out of control. They are not made for that but a regular knobby tire wouldn’t have had the same issue. It sounds like they will work just fine for your application.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 15:15 Quote
Well things went well with seating the beads for tubeless. I got them both installed and inflated to 25psi to allow the sealant to seal. I used my FTB as my pit bike at my house, running up to my workshop and back. I rode it up there, jumped on the mower, before I finished the lawn, the front tire just popped off the wheel. Frown I took it all apart, cleaned it all up and tried to seat the bead again with ZERO love. I took the old tape out of the wheel, tried again and that side of tire just blows off the wheel at 12psi. When it does this, it won't seat the other side either. When I rode them, they were fast rolling and meet plush life standards. LoL Now I'm working with the distributor to replace one. I cannot get the bead to hold and that is not a safe tire.

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 18:25 Quote
i am using a pair of speeders 120tpi 3.5" on my fat bike. there isnt any local resellers from where i am from so i had to travel to my neighbouring country to hand carry back 2 pairs.

Impression : i find them easy to fit on. i am using Light Bicycle Carbon 65mm rims . Currently on tubeless set up with joe's sealant and tape. so far bead is sitting properly and didnt once pop.
I realised anything with 20psi or lesser it tends to self steer. so i set it up to between 21-23psi as the max recommended psi for my rims are 25. Rolling is fantastic as compared to my previous 45nrth vanhelga but with the higher psi i am running it isnt as floaty. other than that no complains and i been running it since nearly 2 months back.
Bike is a Nicolai Argon Fat Pinion.

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 at 6:54 Quote
They look great! I'll post pictures of mine mounted later today. The rim tape didn't hold up, so I have to redo the tubeless setupConfused .

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018206
Mobile Version of Website