How is living in Grand Junction?

PB Forum :: USA - Rockies & Midwest
How is living in Grand Junction?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 3, 2019 at 19:15 Quote
As the title says. I'm considering moving there and have heard a lot of positives from residents from the valley.

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 21:33 Quote
Need more to go off to give you a good answer, but living in the valley has a lot of pros. As with anywhere there are also cons.

Strictly in terms of riding, I think the pros speak for themselves with the quality of the local trails. Also the access to excellent destinations nearby is fantastic (1.5 hrs to Moab, 3 to CB, 2.5 to Aspen) and there is next zero traffic concerns / risk of drive time significantly varying.

I don't love how far the drive is to get to higher elevations for tolerable summer day trip riding. Also the closest high elevation trails leave a lot to be desired. Translation: when you don't have 2+ days off to go somewhere rad and cooler in the summer you probably won't ride.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 14:01 Quote
I love living in Grand Junction. I live and work downtown and with the lunch loops being a quick easy ride from there I only drive every couple of weeks. I've looked at other places but there aren't many places where you can ride almost year round from the house. The culture and outdoor community are on the up and great things are happening. It's definitely not perfect but for me the pros far outweigh the cons.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 15:07 Quote
ramsdude47 wrote:
Need more to go off to give you a good answer, but living in the valley has a lot of pros. As with anywhere there are also cons.

Strictly in terms of riding, I think the pros speak for themselves with the quality of the local trails. Also the access to excellent destinations nearby is fantastic (1.5 hrs to Moab, 3 to CB, 2.5 to Aspen) and there is next zero traffic concerns / risk of drive time significantly varying.

I don't love how far the drive is to get to higher elevations for tolerable summer day trip riding. Also the closest high elevation trails leave a lot to be desired. Translation: when you don't have 2+ days off to go somewhere rad and cooler in the summer you probably won't ride.

My wife and I work remotely or travel for work. We lived in Sedona for a year, and decided that we wanted to be in the high desert. Unfortunately, Sedona is a pretty inconvenient place to live.

Quality of life, day to day, overall experience, health care, etc. are my main areas of concern. We met some older folks while hiking to Rainbow Bridge in Utah who were from Grand Junction. They made it sound like it's the best place on Earth. The only other people who I've met from their have been at bike parks, and while they love it, I couldn't decode their bro-ness enough to know what to expect.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 15:38 Quote
I wish I lived in GJ. I almost had my wife talked into moving there when we were looking to move, but wasn't able to pull it off. I got closer to the mountains, so that's okay. I still wish I was that close to Moab again though.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 9:46 Quote
To address your main areas of concern:

Health Care - about as good as it gets outside of a large city. GJ is the hub for healthcare for western CO and eastern UT since it's the largest town between Denver and SLC. If you get seriously injured in Aspen or Moab you'll get a helicopter ride to GJ.

Day to Day - If you plan on spending as much time outdoors as possible I think you'll enjoy it.

Quality of life - The town is seriously lacking in many things. Good restaurants being one that comes to mind. Not a lot of improvement on that front due to the vast majority thinking Texas Roadhouse is the best restaurant in town (seriously it was voted that in the newspaper poll...). There are still some solid places to eat and do many things. Events are picking up and bringing more and more tourists into town. I am hoping that this will only lead to things that improve the quality of life here.

Overall - I think it might depend on where you decide to live that leads to a positive overall experience. The town is segregated in my opinion. Most outdoor enthusiasts and like minded people seem to live in the Redlands or downtown areas. This causes most of the hip new things to spring up in those areas. They are also closest to trail access. If you were to live further out towards Clifton your experience may not be positive (that's as nice as I can put it).

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 23:37 Quote
Moved two months ago from FL and I love it, I don't care for big cities I grew up in one and it's not my scene. For me and the misses both remote and very much into the outdoors, hiking, climbing, off roading, riding, riding on the road without getting run over and camping, it just plain WORKS.

There is always something going on or something to do - the pace of life is more 'living' and less rush/hustle bustle

Just a side note, people often told me that there isn't 'much' here but again it depends what you value. The air quality is decent, food quality + farmers markets is/are on point and people are also very pleasant. We've moved a bunch of times and for once it feels like we found a place that has a sense of community that isn't forced

Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 18:08 Quote
Riding and healthcare are good as previously mentioned. Our trails are starting to get crowded though, will only get worse. I agree with the statement that where you live will play a large part in the experience. Palisade (Where I live), Fruita, downtown or the Redlands are generally nice places. Clifton (where I used to live), and others, not so much.

I grew up here, and always thought it was kind of a shithole with good access to the outdoors. I wouldn't say that has changed honestly, but improved a bit.

ETA: Plan on $300K for a decent house

Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 18:17 Quote
j6y wrote:
Moved two months ago from FL and I love it, I don't care for big cities I grew up in one and it's not my scene. For me and the misses both remote and very much into the outdoors, hiking, climbing, off roading, riding, riding on the road without getting run over and camping, it just plain WORKS.

There is always something going on or something to do - the pace of life is more 'living' and less rush/hustle bustle

Just a side note, people often told me that there isn't 'much' here but again it depends what you value. The air quality is decent, food quality + farmers markets is/are on point and people are also very pleasant. We've moved a bunch of times and for once it feels like we found a place that has a sense of community that isn't forced

As far as air quality, wait until winter settles in. We often have inversions that trap smoke and smog in the valley. Agree with everything else.

Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 18:25 Quote
Thanks for all of the responses. My wife is probably taking a job in Albuquerque. The extent of our living in GJ will likely be limited to our camper for a few weeks in the winter

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008726
Mobile Version of Website