Moving to Chesapeake VA from Australia

PB Forum :: USA - East
Moving to Chesapeake VA from Australia
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 4, 2019 at 2:50 Quote
Hi All,

I'm moving from Sydney, Australia to Chesapeake in about 3 weeks and am keen to find out what the trail situation is like. I've been checking out Trailforks but it looks a bit light on for riding. The closest decent trails look like they're a bit over an hour away up in the Williamsburg area.

I generally ride trail/enduro type trails here in Aus and am currently on a Yeti SB5.5 with a 170mm fork up front.

If anyone is in the area or can give me the heads up on some decent dirt, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm always open to travelling for new trails and often get away for the weekend with up to 4 hour drives one way.

Looking forward to new adventures.

Cheers,
Mick

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 5:03 Quote
So no one rides in VA it seems lol

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 9:55 Quote
Hey Mick,

I live in Norfolk. Welcome to the area! the terrain here is flat as a pancake, but there are a few places to ride. There is a small park in Chesapeake called Ipswich that has lots of dirt jumps and terrain features. Williamsburg has some fun trails, with freedom park being the best of the lot. Richmond VA has lots of great riding, about 1.5 hour drive w/o traffic. The closest bike park is about 3 hours from here at Massanutten and Bryce mountain, which are doable for a day trip, and Snowshoe is 5. Once you get over into the mountains there is some amazing riding. Harrisonburg and Roanoke are proper MTB towns with big riding communities and several miles of trails, jump lines, etc. Anyway, PM when you get in town and maybe we can meetup.

Posted: May 11, 2019 at 20:28 Quote
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I'm in for some driving then. Road trips it is!!!!! Will send you a msg in a few weeks when I get in to town.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 10:17 Quote
Lots of good riding in VA, just not where you will be located unfortunately Frown
Like ccrtech said, head west for options. Look up the George Washington National Forest which extends for hundreds of miles north/south and has almost unlimited riding. Plug in Stokesville Campground, Carvins Cove and Douthat State Park for some riding options in the forest. Massanutten will be your closest lift served stuff.
https://www.massresort.com/play/mountain-biking/events-races/

Richmond has some decent riding but you won't be needing 170mm Big Grin

Have fun exploring!

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 0:08 Quote
Thanks Joe, will definitely look them up and get out to a few different trails. Feeling that I might be over biked for most of the nearby trails. Might have to add another bike to the stable again..........I just sold a Transition Scout as I could only bring one bike with me and the Yeti won out.

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 10:58 Quote
I'm in Chesapeake myself. You gotta drive to get to the good stuff. XC type riding is available in Williamsburg area and more backcountry and trail/downhill type stuff with elevation further West. As has been mentioned - George Washington Nat. Forest, Massanutten, Blue Ridge School, Douthat, Pisgah Nat. Forest and Dupont around Asheville/Brevard, NC.

In Chesapeake - we're in a state of purgatory and get the displeasure of running loops around Ipswich/Indian River Park.

Give a shout when you get here and we'll setup some group ride weekends to Stokesville, Massanutten and surrounding areas.

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 18:20 Quote
Cheers guys. Landed in Chesapeake now. Did some quick laps around Indian River park (pretty wet from all the rain) and ventured up to Freedom Park last weekend.

Now it's just as hot as stink.
Might look in to Massanutten for the lifts. Found some decent vids on Youtube. Trails look mint.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 18:19 Quote
Welcome to the area. Ipswich in Chesapeake is decent for a bit, it holds me over when I cant get out to Freedom or Bryce. I am also in Chesapeake, and make it out to bryce a few times during the season, and freedom quite frequently. IF you ever want to get together and go out for a ride send me a message.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011235
Mobile Version of Website