creaking fugitive

PB Forum :: Knolly
creaking fugitive
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: May 5, 2019 at 13:25 Quote
anyone else having trouble with creaking in the fugitive? had to return my first one for warranty issues (the creaking is not why i required warranty). the replacement frame actually creaks worse than the first one. ive literally replaced every single part even down to the valve stems and still the same creaking. cant seem to locate the source. its definately frame related just can't find it. any help would be appreciated.

Posted: May 5, 2019 at 16:38 Quote
ormondmtb wrote:
anyone else having trouble with creaking in the fugitive? had to return my first one for warranty issues (the creaking is not why i required warranty). the replacement frame actually creaks worse than the first one. ive literally replaced every single part even down to the valve stems and still the same creaking. cant seem to locate the source. its definately frame related just can't find it. any help would be appreciated.
Man. Sounds like you've got a lemon... I'll take it off your hands and even pay you a bit for your troubles, I'm just that generous. Razz I know @islandforlife recently got a Fugitive and has been riding it a bunch... races etc. He might be good to ask... or, idk, sorry, I have no experience with Knollys. Way too nice for me. Frown lol

Posted: May 6, 2019 at 14:56 Quote
ormondmtb wrote:

Huh... have been on the Fugitive since January... about 20 rides so far and 1 enduro race, thing is quiet as a mouse for me. Know a few other guys on them, no creaking issues reported.

Who built the bike? If it's shop built, take it back and have them inspect. If it's home built, did you use a torque wrench.. everything torqued to specs?? Good amount of grease where it should be? Did you use a proper headset press or bang it in? Otherwise I'd call Knolly and have a chat, they're easy to talk to and should be able to help you out.

From what I've heard of other bikes with creaking issues and my previous bike had a one time creak issue... it's usually one of three things...

1. On a threaded BB, your BB might be done (is it old?) or just need some grease (this was the issue with my Norco Sight, greased her up and had no more creaks).

2. Sometimes some new bikes don't come from the factory with enough or any grease in the suspension pivots. not saying this is a Kolly thing (and it shouldn't be), but that's one place I'd check for sure. And if it turns out that's the case, I'd let Knolly know. That's something they would want to hear about for sure.

3. Creaky SCU's are a real blight on mountain biking. Rockshox and Fox are both culprits, but from what I hear Fox is worse? What kind of fork do you have?

The fact that the creak moved from your first frame to the next makes me suspect a part (BB or Fork?) that is creaky and/or not installed quite right.

This is part of the reason I don't build my own bikes.. I'm happy to do most of my own maintenance, but a fresh build is best done by someone you can point a finger at and say "make it right".

I also frequent this forum - https://forums.mtbr.com/knolly/ which has a ton of Knolly guys and lots on Fugitives. I know Noel himself dips in and out of the forum with news, tips and answers to questions, so Knolly keeps an eye on it... might be more helpful.

Hope that helps... and good luck with your mystery creak!

O+
Posted: May 7, 2019 at 4:37 Quote
Talked to knolly, apparently the dpx2 trunnion is prone to creaking and popping. Fox is aware of the issue and have since changed their assembly process. Knolly told me how to perform the fix which was easy. Rode yesterday and it's finally silent. Never would have guessed it was the rear shock

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 10:29 Quote
ormondmtb wrote:
Talked to knolly, apparently the dpx2 trunnion is prone to creaking and popping. Fox is aware of the issue and have since changed their assembly process. Knolly told me how to perform the fix which was easy. Rode yesterday and it's finally silent. Never would have guessed it was the rear shock

Huh, that is interesting... I'm using a DPX2 as well, don't have any creaking right now, but, in case it starts for me, what did you have to do to stop it?

O+
Posted: May 7, 2019 at 13:21 Quote
deflate the can, unthread it and grease the threads. reinstall, inflate and off you go. so far has worked like a charm. knolly said its a permanent fix too

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 13:47 Quote
ormondmtb wrote:
deflate the can, unthread it and grease the threads. reinstall, inflate and off you go. so far has worked like a charm. knolly said its a permanent fix too

Good to know, thanks!

O+
Posted: May 7, 2019 at 17:47 Quote
Just got an email blast from knolly stating there are some fugitive owners having creaking issues and how to fix it. Guess I got the ball rolling. Lol. Wish I had known before replacing every part trying to find it. lol

Posted: Jul 7, 2019 at 8:46 Quote
This worked like a charm for me! No more creak after greasing the air can threads!

FL
Posted: Jul 18, 2020 at 17:16 Quote
Thank god this thread exists. Never would have guessed it's the air can threads.

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 6:43 Quote
ormondmtb wrote:

Just curious, but can you tell us why you required a warranty?

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 at 7:06 Quote
I had my seat stays warrantied, the double reeemed by the bearing seat at the top of the stay which resulted in a bit of slop. Always thought it was a bit odd on a new bike, they fixed me up fast and sent me some new stays!

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 16:37 Quote
Late to the creaky party here - are we talking the threads on the aircan or the threads on the bolts/mountain hardware ? Or every thread in that area just to be safe haha

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 18:05 Quote
Greasing the air can threads was all it took for me!

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 14:55 Quote
ormondmtb wrote:

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.258219
Mobile Version of Website