Buy 2019 Specialized Enduro or wait for 2020?

PB Forum :: Specialized
Buy 2019 Specialized Enduro or wait for 2020?
Previous Page |
Posted: May 6, 2019 at 10:58 Quote
Hey all! long-time forum lurker here, love the forum and all the knowledge I'm frequently able to find, thanks!

I've been riding for as long as I can remember, and racing amateur enduro races for the last couple years, and really loving everything about it. I've been racing on a '17 Expert Stumpy 27.5 150mm (my only bike). I've been doing alright (getting close to the podium) and still having fun, but I'm wanting to "upgrade" to a little more travel and bigger hoops (I think). So, recently I've been thinking about buying a 2019 Enduro Elite 29 through my LBS, as it seems like a screaming good deal, and am wanting to pull the trigger. But I have a couple of reservations, that maybe y'all guys could help me sort out. I love a lot of the other brands offerings (Ripmo, Capra, etc.) but I'm too in love with the SWAT Door, and can't leave it behind!

-I know the new SJ EVO came out, so I'm assuming a new version of the Enduro is coming out soon? (also assuming based on the great prices offered for the 2019 enduro at the moment) does anyone know?

-should I wait for a new enduro to come out, or snag this good deal?

-will the 2019 enduro be too big of a bike for pedaling around my normal trails? (undulating, limestone terraces, loose, ups & downs) I kinda wanted it to be my after work everyday riding bike too. (but may just be too much)Dead Horse

-how would you compare the SJ EVO to the current 2019 Enduro? for racing? for trail riding?

any thoughts or opinions on my overall situation would be greatly appreciated guysSmile

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
Context before I start. I'm currently running a 2018 Enduro 29 (with a 170 Fox 36) and a SJ 29 (Running a 160 Lyrik). Both bikes have Ohlins TTX coils on the back.

I think you might want to spend sometime deciding what is more important. A bike to race and go fast, or a bike you want to ride all the time and have fun on any terrain. Here's what I find having both bikes.

First the Enduro. If you set the Enduro up to be good on the burly stuff at high speed, it only feels good doing that. If you're out for a chill Sunday ride, it feels harsh. It's a bike you have to push hard to get the best ride out of it.

The SJ is a different animal. I can have fun on that bike on anything. Rolling flowy single track, to gnar chunk. It's not as point and shoot as the Enduro in the rough stuff. It takes a little more precision to ride fast on burly trail. But it feels good doing anything. You don't have to ride all out all the time.

The SJ will out pedal the Enduro all day. This is something to consider for an enduro race. You still have to transition, does the extra travel and over all monster truck abilities of the Enduro make up for the extra energy to get to the top? For me, in most races I say no. If it's a race with a lot of lift transitions I'll grab the Enduro, if I'm pedaling the SJ.

I love both bikes. But I'd say the SJ is a better all around bike. The Enduro is meant to be pointed down hill and ridden hard, fast, and recklessly. In those conditions it's amazing.

So it comes down to what's your priority? Something that's fun all the time, but willing to give up a little time or "plow ability" at a race days = SJ. Only care about going down chunky trail as fast as possible = Enduro.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 21:11 Quote
rmgoff1 wrote:
Context before I start. I'm currently running a 2018 Enduro 29 (with a 170 Fox 36) and a SJ 29 (Running a 160 Lyrik). Both bikes have Ohlins TTX coils on the back.

I think you might want to spend sometime deciding what is more important. A bike to race and go fast, or a bike you want to ride all the time and have fun on any terrain. Here's what I find having both bikes.

First the Enduro. If you set the Enduro up to be good on the burly stuff at high speed, it only feels good doing that. If you're out for a chill Sunday ride, it feels harsh. It's a bike you have to push hard to get the best ride out of it.

The SJ is a different animal. I can have fun on that bike on anything. Rolling flowy single track, to gnar chunk. It's not as point and shoot as the Enduro in the rough stuff. It takes a little more precision to ride fast on burly trail. But it feels good doing anything. You don't have to ride all out all the time.

The SJ will out pedal the Enduro all day. This is something to consider for an enduro race. You still have to transition, does the extra travel and over all monster truck abilities of the Enduro make up for the extra energy to get to the top? For me, in most races I say no. If it's a race with a lot of lift transitions I'll grab the Enduro, if I'm pedaling the SJ.

I love both bikes. But I'd say the SJ is a better all around bike. The Enduro is meant to be pointed down hill and ridden hard, fast, and recklessly. In those conditions it's amazing.

So it comes down to what's your priority? Something that's fun all the time, but willing to give up a little time or "plow ability" at a race days = SJ. Only care about going down chunky trail as fast as possible = Enduro.

Man! Thanks so much for the quality response! You have really given me some great points to think about.

Is your SJ a New EVO? Curious as to how this and the current Enduro compare

I will be keeping my 27.5 SJ (at least for the foreseeable future) so in theory I would have both bikes - It just seemed kinda weird to buy a second SJ, I wasn’t sure how different they would actually be...so my thinking was go “full enduro” Wink
However, the SJ EVO 29 has thrown a wrench in my initial plan. But, at this point I have been shying away from the SJ EVO, being afraid the super slack head angle would be even less fun to pedal around on moderate trails than the current enduro?

Again thanks so much man for you in depth response!Smile

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 21:22 Quote
@bearaspra From the way he's talking I'm assuming he's talking about the regular SJ.. from everything I've heard the EVO is/can be even burlier and more of a handful than the Enduro. Here's a good thread you should check out https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=210787
Also this review may help
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-specialized-stumpjumper-evo-29.html

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
@bearaspra yes I'm on the Standard SJ. If you are keeping your current SJ then the decision is really easy...Enduro Smile

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 12:05 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
@bearaspra From the way he's talking I'm assuming he's talking about the regular SJ.. from everything I've heard the EVO is/can be even burlier and more of a handful than the Enduro. Here's a good thread you should check out https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=210787

ok cool, that's what I was kinda wondering about SJ EVO v E29 - thats good insite...thanks so much, and for the links!!Beer Beer

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 12:07 Quote
rmgoff1 wrote:
@bearaspra yes I'm on the Standard SJ. If you are keeping your current SJ then the decision is really easy...Enduro Smile

alright! thanks again, I just ordered the E29!, appreciate y'alls imput! cheers my friend!Big Grin Beer Big Grin

Posted: May 11, 2019 at 10:20 Quote
bearaspra wrote:
mtbikeaddict wrote:

ok cool, that's what I was kinda wondering about SJ EVO v E29 - thats good insite...thanks so much, and for the links!!Beer Beer
bearaspra wrote:
rmgoff1 wrote:

alright! thanks again, I just ordered the E29!, appreciate y'alls imput! cheers my friend!Big Grin Beer Big Grin
Great to hear! No problem, so glad I could help! Big Grin Sorry I didn't get back to this in a little bit... I would've said definitely go for the Enduro... Looks like you've already done that, so enjoy your awesome bike! Big Grin Beer

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 21:36 Quote
Just ordered a 2019 pro 29. Too good of a deal to pass up! How is the coil in the shock and fork for a medium? I'm 185 lbs. Will stock be ok?

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 7:17 Quote
Hi I have two pictures on the new specialized enduro 2020 s-works but no price
Someone told me he would come out at the end of the mont

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 10:16 Quote
Ride-In-Corsica wrote:
Hi I have two pictures on the new specialized enduro 2020 s-works but no price
Someone told me he would come out at the end of the mont
August

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
So Its been a year since I bought my Enduro elite 2018 27.5. The bike came with an ohlins rfx36 up front and a monarch rct3 in the back. Based on the research I did before buying my bike i found that they made the largest geo changes in the year 2018. So at the moment you are looking at different components offered on the stock bike for the new year. There might be very slight geo changes which would be like 1 or 2 % which wont really affect the ride. For pedaling wise I live in a town where im constantly biking up trails and and riding down due to the far distance of bike parks from my city. If you ride clipped the bike rides very good up hill if you lock the back and front along with the shock chip in the down ward position (makes it less slack). And for the descends its one of the plushest bikes I have been on. The butterey rfx36 in the front makes tech feel like a joke. Now i realize you are looking at the 29er so idk how that will be since 27.5 wheels are more nimble. Over all tho i usually buy and sell bikes in one season but this one I see my self holding on for more than 2 seasons. I would say go for it if you are going to use it for race and normal rides.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
Lmao i just saw your comment saying you ordered your bike oh well. Goodluck racingBig Grin

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 17:06 Quote
yup the Enduro is getting updated

I think it was vital that did a review of the SJ EVO and laid out some points of where you might want a regular SJ or Enduro depending on your riding style and locations.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 20:12 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
yup the Enduro is getting updated

I think it was vital that did a review of the SJ EVO and laid out some points of where you might want a regular SJ or Enduro depending on your riding style and locations.
out in August. Seen some pic of it. Super low center of gravity. Looks killer. Similar idea to the new demo

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014450
Mobile Version of Website